Ending the Mendenhall debate for this season...

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Steelers lose Mendenhall, Simmons for season
September 30, 2008, 2:30 AM EST PITTSBURGH (AP) -

The Pittsburgh Steelers lost starting right guard Kendall Simmons and first-round draft pick Rashard Mendenhall to season-ending injuries during their 23-20 overtime victory over Baltimore on Monday night.

The Steelers (3-1) now face a short week before playing Sunday night at Jacksonville (2-2), a game in which fourth-string running back Mewelde Moore may have to start if Pro Bowl runner Willie Parker misses a second successive game with a sprained knee.

Simmons (torn right Achilles) and Mendenhall (fractured left shoulder) will be placed on injured reserve, coach Mike Tomlin said, and thus cannot return this season. A torn Achilles can be an especially difficult injury for a lineman to overcome because he pushes off his heel on every play.

"Our competitors, it has been well documented, a lot of those guys have suffered devastating injuries," Tomlin said. "It is only devastating if you allow it to be. People are not concerned with our problems, they are probably happy that we have them. We will address them and get ready to play."

Simmons was replaced by former undrafted free agent Darnell Stapleton on Monday, though it would seem likely that fourth-year lineman Trai Essex, who was not in uniform against Baltimore, would start Sunday.

The Steelers also lost running back Carey Davis (ankle) and backup linebacker Andre Frazier, who was carted off the field on a stretcher with a spine injury after the opening kickoff. Frazier initially appeared to be the most seriously injured, but he was walking freely and joking with teammates after the game. Tomlin said his tests proved negative.

Mendenhall's loss is a big one for Pittsburgh, and it came in his first NFL career start on a hard hit by Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis. He was drafted to give the Steelers a power back to go with Parker's speed, but Mendenhall's first season ended after only 19 carries. He had nine carries for 30 yards against Baltimore.

"We have some injuries that we need to deal with, that is part of football and we will (deal with it)," Tomlin said. "Our standard of expectation will not change. We have to go to Jacksonville on a short week, such is life in the National Football League."

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
is it me or this year a really bad year for injuries across the league?

Reaction score
Rashard Mendenhall fractured his left shoulder in the Steelers win over the Ravens and will be placed on injured reserve.

That was fast. Making his first start with Willie Parker sidelined, the rookie went out in the third quarter and is now out for the season. Mendenhall has loads of potential, but is now waiver wire fodder for all but dynasty and keeper leagues. Parker is expected to miss the Week 5 game against Jacksonville and reserve RB Carey Davis went down Monday night with a sprained ankle. Mewelde Moore suddenly emerges as a viable fantasy pickup and Gary Russell is likely to be promoted from the practice squad, making him a deep sleeper.
Source: Pittsburgh Post Gazette

Hate to see injuries but I go back to the draft when Mendenhall and Jones were both on the board and we ended up with Felix over Mendenhall.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2298902 said:
Rashard Mendenhall fractured his left shoulder in the Steelers win over the Ravens and will be placed on injured reserve.

That was fast. Making his first start with Willie Parker sidelined, the rookie went out in the third quarter and is now out for the season. Mendenhall has loads of potential, but is now waiver wire fodder for all but dynasty and keeper leagues. Parker is expected to miss the Week 5 game against Jacksonville and reserve RB Carey Davis went down Monday night with a sprained ankle. Mewelde Moore suddenly emerges as a viable fantasy pickup and Gary Russell is likely to be promoted from the practice squad, making him a deep sleeper.
Source: Pittsburgh Post Gazette

Hate to see injuries but I go back to the draft when Mendenhall and Jones were both on the board and we ended up with Felix over Mendenhall.

We can't say if Mendenhall would have gotten injured if he were a Cowboy instead. Besides, I don't think Mike Thomlin has a decent C&S coach, as his team since last year has had alot of injuries.

Either way-didn't want Mendenhall then b/c he wouldn't have fitted into our schemes anyways.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, at least we don't have to worry about Felix getting injured. He doesn't even touch the ball.

bigE79

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2298952 said:
Well, at least we don't have to worry about Felix getting injured. He doesn't even touch the ball.
:lmao:

Reaction score
Talk about jinxing the Cowboys, rule of thumb is never post another team's injury problems...

:bang2:

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2298952 said:

Yeah tell me about it, let Wade and Garrett tell it, he's not big boy enough to play with the grown ups...:rolleyes:

Boysboy

Reaction score
stealth;2298400 said:
is it me or this year a really bad year for injuries across the league?

It's been getting worse in recent years-to me, I find this very troubling.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I think we're just taking more notice. I imagine this is probably on par with what is usually seen league wide, maybe not so many stars going down like this year though (Brady, etc.).