EPC: How to Cover TO

superpunk

Reaction score
by Michael David Smith
Something quite surprising happened in the first half of Sunday’s Lions-Cowboys game: The Cowboys ran 28 offensive plays, and not one of them was a pass to Terrell Owens .

In the second half Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo threw four passes to Owens, who caught three of them, but for only 21 yards — and one of those passes would have been called back if the Lions hadn’t declined an offensive pass interference penalty on Owens.

Considering that Owens entered the game averaging six catches for 104 yards a game, and was first in the league in DPAR and second in the league in DVOA, that’s quite an accomplishment by the Lions’ defense, even if it did come in a 28-27 loss. In his press conference after the game, Lions coach Rod Marinelli was asked how his defense held Owens in check.

“The Cover-2, as always,” Marinelli answered. “You give up other stuff — like to the tight end.”

The tight end, of course, was Jason Witten, who caught 15 of the 18 passes Romo threw to him, for 138 yards. And since Witten had such a great game and the Cowboys beat the Lions, it might seem like the Lions’ defensive game plan of shutting down Owens didn’t work — it only transferred some of the yards that ordinarily would have gone to Owens over to Witten instead. But the fact remains that the Lions managed to stay competitive in a game against a much better team, and they managed to neutralize the Cowboys’ best offensive player. How did they do it?

To find out, I watched the tape of Cowboys-Lions, with a close look at what the Lions did to rein in Owens. It wasn’t quite as simple as “the Cover-2, as always.”

Or at least, it wasn’t the same as the Lions’ usual variation of the Cover-2 (a phrase that has been overused and misused so often that it’s hardly worth using at all anymore). For most of this season, the Lions have been lousy against No. 1 receivers. And for most of this season, Owens has been dominant. What changed Sunday?

For starters, the Lions were adding a lot of man-under to their Cover-2, and the cornerbacks were staying with Owens even when he ran routes that would ordinarily cause them to pass Owens off to the safeties. The Lions’ cornerbacks also wisely kept Owens in front of them, and they didn’t try to jam him at the line of scrimmage. Earlier this season, when we examined the Washington Commanders ’ game plan and how not to cover Owens, we noted that jamming Owens at the line of scrimmage is unwise because he’s just too strong to get slowed down with a shove from a cornerback. The Lions’ cornerbacks understood that.

More significantly, the Lions kept their safeties deep downfield to prevent Owens from getting behind them, and they dropped the linebackers into coverage in the spots near the hashmarks where Owens usually loves to run his routes. Owens is a smart receiver who can find the holes in the defense and adjust his routes accordingly, but the Lions spent all day Sunday making sure there weren’t any holes in the defense where Owens was running.

That’s what happened on all those plays when Owens wasn’t open and Romo therefore didn’t throw to him, but what about the plays when Romo did throw to Owens? The first pass thrown Owens’ way came on the Cowboys’ second play of the third quarter, with Lions cornerback Travis Fisher in man coverage, five yards off the line of scrimmage. Fisher expected Romo to throw to Owens along the right sideline, and so he stood his ground in the spot where Owens wanted to run his route. Owens ran directly into Fisher, pushed off, and got flagged for offensive pass interference before making a four-yard catch. The Lions declined the penalty, so Owens’ catch counted, but it was a great play by Fisher, who knew Owens would push off in that situation and set himself up like a basketball player taking a charging foul. If opposing cornerbacks can be confident that the officials will call offensive pass interference –- a big “if,” to be sure –- that might be the single best way to play against Owens: Get in his way when he wants to run a curl route and wait for him to shove you.
The next play, however, was the Lions’ worst play against Owens. It was third-and-4, and this time both cornerback Keith Smith and safety Gerald Alexander were in coverage, but Smith slipped to the turf when Owens made his cut, and Owens broke Alexander’s tackle. The coverage scheme on the play was sound, but sure tackling is imperative when playing against Owens, and the Lions didn’t have it on that play. It was ultimately linebacker Ernie Sims who pushed Owens out of bounds after a gain of 13.

Owens’ other catch came on a second-and-3, when he lined up on the left sideline, with Smith covering him, lined up two yards off the line of scrimmage. Smith dropped into coverage as if he expected a long pass, but Owens broke off his route just past the first-down marker, leaving himself wide-open. As soon as Romo looked in Owens’ direction, Alexander and Sims ran straight to him, and they managed to tackle him for a gain of only four yards. Obviously, no defense wants to give up a four-yard pass on second-and-3, but keeping Owens in front of the defense and making the tackle as soon as he gets the ball is the way to stop him, and the Lions did that effectively.

There was only one play when the Lions’ coverage totally broke down against Owens. It was a second-and-6 on the Cowboys’ final drive, with Lions cornerback Dovonte Edwards matched up with Owens, who made a nice inside move past Edwards to get open. But Romo threw a little bit behind Owens, who wasn’t able to reach back and grab the ball. A perfectly thrown pass could have gone for a long gain, but Romo was just a bit off the mark.

Owens said after the game, “They had two and three guys on me. Sometimes even four.” I never saw Owens actually get quadruple-covered, but it was clear that the Lions’ first priority was taking Owens out of the game.

The problem with paying so much attention to Owens is that Romo spent all day throwing short passes to his other receivers. Almost all of Witten’s catches came on passes caught within a few yards of the line of scrimmage, with the deep safeties giving him a huge space in the middle of the field. But while Witten has been discussed thoroughly this week, he wasn’t the only Cowboy who had a big receiving day; Marion Barber had a career-high 10 catches for 61 yards.

The Cowboys exploited the Lions’ emphasis on Owens all day long. A perfect example of this came near the end of the first half, when Romo hit Barber with an eight-yard touchdown pass. On the play, Owens lined up wide to the left and ran a route toward the middle of the field. The Detroit secondary gave up the sideline area to follow Owens, and when Barber ran a short route to the left side of the field, the only Lion even close to the play was defensive end Dewayne White. That is, to say the least, a bad matchup for the Lions, and it was an easy touchdown catch for Barber.
In fact, although Witten had the big game, it was actually the passes to Barber on which it was most obvious that the Lions were focusing on Owens. On a first-and-10 late in the third quarter, the Lions rushed four and dropped seven into coverage, and when Owens ran a deep post route, the Lions were so focused on stopping the deep pass that by the time Romo looked to dump the ball off to Barber, linebacker Ernie Sims was almost 10 yards downfield. No other Lion in coverage was within even 15 yards. Barber picked up a very easy eight yards.

Although the middle of the field was open for Barber and Witten all day, all things considered, you’d still have to say the Lions had the right idea in their approach to stopping the Cowboys. Just as the Eagles and Ravens showed that you can at least slow down –- if not stop — the Patriots’ offense by preventing big plays to Randy Moss, the Lions at least managed to play a competitive game against a much better team on Sunday, in large part because they kept Owens in check.

Finally, it must be noted that on several plays, Owens clearly wasn’t giving his all, giving up on routes and failing to block downfield after completions to Barber or Witten. Owens said all the right things after the game about just being glad the team won, but his conduct on the field would suggest that if your strategy can take him out of the game early, he might take himself out of the game late. That might be the best reason to employ the Lions’ strategy for how to cover Owens.

sago1

Reaction score
I think Garrett has to find a way to get TO into this game early & get a few serious touches. Garrett is good at devising specific play(s) to be used when the opponent is in a specific situation. Hopefully he'll have 1-2 such plays which Romo can exploit for big TD gains. I'd love to see our offense in full throttle after last week's slow mo. Besides I don't want to see the Tampa 2 every week for rest of this season and in the playoffs.

Temo

Reaction score
Yea, I commented in that thread, basically saying the following:

#

Nice write up… this just about matches what I noticed when I charted this game this week. I will mention also that on just about every pass to Barber that I charted, I listed “Uncovered” as the defender… that’s how open he was all day. The Lions were giving up the flats all day long.

But I will also say that I thought Aikman made a good point near the end of the game after Owens dropped that pass (and he did drop it, even if it was behind him) on the final drive. He said that those little slant routes to Owens were there the whole game, and I agree. I do think if they had really wanted to get Owens involved, using him on those slants would have been possible. I don’t think they would have gotten much yardage out it, but it would have kept Owens in the game. I did notice him not running out his routes and not blocking like he usually does as you mentioned. I guess Garret and Sparano were willing to just get what they could with Witten and Barber.

Where I’m dissappointed in all this is that I thought we had some “pop” so to speak at the other receiver positions (read: Crayton). Against a sub-par Lions secondary that had dedicated a lot of resources to stopping Owens, I didn’t see the kind of production that I would have expected out of Crayton and Hurd, and really this game told me some of what we have away from Owens on this team.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
superpunk;1832376 said:
But the fact remains that the Lions managed to stay competitive in a game against a much better team. How did they do it?
It had little to do with their defense.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Lets see how well this works when Terry comes back.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I am curious how he could tell the coverage after the ball was snapped, I am assuming he watched the tv broadcast?

unless he had the game film from one of the teams, which I highly doubt then I think he just watched it like the rest of us, limited to what the camera shows.

alot of the plays you couldnt even see the safeties in the picture, so how does he know who is doing what.

superpunk

Reaction score
theebs;1832439 said:
I am curious how he could tell the coverage after the ball was snapped, I am assuming he watched the tv broadcast?

unless he had the game film from one of the teams, which I highly doubt then I think he just watched it like the rest of us, limited to what the camera shows.

alot of the plays you couldnt even see the safeties in the picture, so how does he know who is doing what.

Someone asked him that in the comments, but he hasn't responded to any yet.

I know sometimes he has sat down with Salisbury with game film, all-22 cam and such, but am not sure in this case.

juck

Reaction score
Romo underthrew a slant to Owens that he would have taken to the house and all this conversation about him getting shut out would not even be taking place.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
percyhoward;1832417 said:
It had little to do with their defense.

Right! Detriot's offense made this game competitive. The defense still gave up too many points.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Zimmy Lives;1832455 said:
Right! Detriot's offense made this game competitive. The defense still gave up too many points.
35 points, if we don't fumble inside their 1--on first down.

TheHerd

Reaction score
juckie;1832446 said:
Romo underthrew a slant to Owens that he would have taken to the house and all this conversation about him getting shut out would not even be taking place.

And the winning TD to Witten could just as easily been thrown to an open TO for a TD. Even Crayton was wide open. Witten was just the first look and he was open so Tony let it rip.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I think it's the best defense to stop our offense as well.....too bad it really doesn't work.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
elcocinero;1832409 said:
Summary: Put 3 guys on him and let Jason Witten beat you like a drum.

I prefer beat you like a red headed step child... :wink2:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
superpunk;1832444 said:
Someone asked him that in the comments, but he hasn't responded to any yet.

I know sometimes he has sat down with Salisbury with game film, all-22 cam and such, but am not sure in this case.

yeah it really does make a difference.

When I watch games live I have a habit of watching the defense, I know that sounds crazy because most people watch the qb, but I watch the defense.

When I get home and rewatch the games It is like I am watching it for the first time because of the difference.

In the stadium you can watch the teams line up before the snap and then change when the ball is snapped and see down the field. You just cant see that stuff on tv. I still believe you can analyze a game from the tv broadcast but it really is different with that end zone or upper shot.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
the strategy has always been to double, and triple team TO, that's all it is, it's up to his receiver-mates to take advantage

take one thing away, you give up something else, there is no way in hell that you're going to neutralize both TO and Witten, you just can't

Reaction score
I mean before the Lions game Im pretty sure he had a pretty incredible 4 game streak. Ever since the bye week he's played on another level. Detroit didnt want to give up the big play and they were obviously able to go under all day to witten/barber. Can TO be stopped two straight weeks? I dont think so. But if he is then look for witten/barber again.

I was thinking with all the coverage rolling over to TO that Crayton would have had more touches. 3 for 46 but one was for 30, what did they do to keep our recievers in check for the most part.