Erik Coleman starts! jETS jETS jETS

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
He's a guy who Nors had rated high on his value board, 31. :rolleyes:

He walked in and took charge. Good for him! 5th round football player a tick slow and a tad short. But a player. Props to EC. :p

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Jets | Coleman Working as Starter - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 15:33:01 -0700

Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports New York Jets SS Erik Coleman has continued to work with the first-string defense at strong safety during practice.

Defensive Rookie of the year? lol

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Jets' Coleman picks his spot

BY JULIAN GARCIA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Erik Coleman did much more than just redeem himself when he intercepted a Carson Palmer pass late in the fourth quarter.
The pick sealed the Jets' 31-24 win over the Bengals and made a rough day for the secondary seem a lot better than it actually was.

Coleman's interception, on the first play after the two-minute warning, came at the Jets' 30-yard line and put an end to Cincinnati's comeback attempt. It also came with the Jets in the same coverage - Cover-2 - they were in when Coleman was burned for a long touchdown earlier in the quarter.

On that play, a 53-yard pass from Palmer to Chad Johnson that pulled the Bengals to within seven points with 6:37 left, Coleman was supposed to protect the deep part of the field, with newly signed Terrell Buckley taking care of the shallow half.

But Coleman said he underestimated Palmer's arm strength and allowed Johnson to race past him before Johnson made an acrobatic catch as he fell into the end zone.

Coleman, a fifth-round pick who impressed coaches during his first training camp, said he did not want the Palmer-to-Johnson touchdown to be the lasting image of his first NFL game. That is why he appreciated the chance to make up for his mistake.

"It felt great," Coleman said of the interception. "It felt like a huge burden was off my shoulders."

Had Cincinnati scored and eventually won, the Jets' secondary certainly would have taken much of the blame. Making his first NFL start, Palmer looked sharp while connecting with seven different targets. He finished with 248 yards and completed 18 of 27 attempts. He also hit running back Kenny Watson for a 6-yard touchdown pass in the third quarter.

The secondary is already considered the weakest link of the Jet defense, so this kind of start against an inexperienced quarterback isn't a good sign.

Coleman wasn't the only defensive back to make a big play, however. On the Bengals' opening drive of the second half, linebacker Sam Cowart stripped Rudi Johnson and defensive back Donnie Abraham picked up the ball and returned it 41 yards for a touchdown that gave the Jets a 21-10 lead. Abraham acknowledged the plays he and Coleman made overshadowed a shaky performance by the Jets. "I think it's good to start out with a win," Abraham said. "There were some big plays we have to fix."

Abraham, a nine-year veteran, made sure to congratulate the rookie following the game-saving interception. "For a young guy and a rookie to do that is tremendous," Abraham said.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Rookie of the week!

Results - Week 01
Erik Coleman 40% Ernest Wilford 37%
Michael Boulware 11%
Larry Fitzgerald 8%
Michael Clayton 5%
VOTES 42141

chargrove

Reaction score
Hey the Cowboys were too busy shooting blindly for special teams guys to worry about that kind of draft pick.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
chargrove said:
Hey the Cowboys were too busy shooting blindly for special teams guys to worry about that kind of draft pick.

When Jets took him in 5, 1 pick ahead of us. Would we have drafted a Safety. Probably not. Our Scouting department will be overhauled this offseason.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
"Chad Pennington threw two touchdown passes for the Jets (2-0), and safety Erik Coleman had an interception and a fumble recovery"

Thats two interceptions in first two NFL games. ChooChoo!

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Nors said:
Our Scouting department will be overhauled this offseason.

LOL

Back on that kick, Nors?

Just tell yourself Erik WAS on the Dallas board.

After all, he went one pick before not one behind.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
LOL

Back on that kick, Nors?

Just tell yourself Erik WAS on the Dallas board.

After all, he went one pick before not one behind.

Knowing that a future All Pro calibre Safety was picked 1 pick in front of us draws ire. You are right - I doubt we drafted him.

I'll go on record, he will block a FG, or score a ST TD somehow this season also. He's el fuego in first two games. A player.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Jets: Coleman wasting no time making his presence felt on defense
Monday, September 20, 2004
BY KIMBERLY JONES
Star-Ledger Staff
SAN DIEGO -- You're a rookie, a fifth-round draft pick out of Washington State. You're a safety who gets the opportunity to play right away during training camp and you never give up the playing time.

And, in the first two games of your career, you make two interceptions and recover a fumble.

Yes, life for Erik Coleman of the Jets is awfully sweet these days.

"It's a great system and I fit in well with the defense," he said. "Hopefully I'll be playing here for a long time."

No kidding.

Coleman's first-quarter interception and fourth-quarter fumble recovery were pivotal in yesterday's victory over the Chargers. A week earlier, his interception of Carson Palmer iced the season-opening, 31-24 victory over the Bengals.

"I couldn't imagine that," Coleman said. "At the start of camp I was just trying to help this team wherever I could. If that was on special teams, it was on special teams. If it was on defense, I was ready to come in on defense. But I couldn't imagine getting the opportunity to have this great of a start."

The Jets' hot start against the Chargers was partly because of Coleman. With the Jets leading 7-0, he picked off Drew Brees near midfield. Six plays later, the Jets offense converted the turnover into points and held a 14-0 lead with 11:18 gone in the game.

"Man, I'm just trying to play the defense," Coleman said. "The defensive line is doing a great job of getting pressure. Anytime you can get pressure on the quarterback, they have to hurry and they throw it up. I'm in the right place at the right time."

Say this for the rookie, he's got humble down pat.

Then, with 12:11 left, Coleman recovered Brees' fumbled snap at the Jets 43-yard line. He was blitzing on the play, somehow avoided the sea of linemen and pounced on the ball. It was a critical possession in a game that ended far tighter, 34-28, than it should have.

"I saw that ball pop out and my eyes just lit up," Coleman said. "I jumped on it and covered it up."

He was smiling, of course. And still perspiring, even in street clothes.

"It feels great," Coleman said. "It feels great to come out here and help this team. I'm just going to try to work and keep that going, help this team as much as I can."

The Jets got four turnovers on the day, two fumble recoveries and two interceptions. Safety Jon McGraw made the other pick, which the offense converted into a 27-7 lead with 3:31 left in the third quarter.

For coach Herman Edwards, noting his secondary still has a "little leaky faucet" component to it, having two safeties with a knack for the ball isn't a bad thing.

Said rookie linebacker Jonathan Vilma: "It's great to see E-Coleman do that. We came in together and he's out there making plays."

It all started in the season opener, when the Jets needed something, or someone, to stop the Bengals.

"It's huge for your confidence, knowing you can go out and make plays when it counts," Coleman said. "I mean, as long as I keep playing the defense and stay disciplined, I think I'll be successful."