News: ESPN: All you need to know about Thanksgiving Day history, records, moments and more

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I read the article just to make sure The Butt Fumble was listed among the best moments. It's one of those football moments where we all remember where we were when it happened.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have to give a lot of credit to Tex Schramm for securing this game for Dallas.
I didn't not read the entire article word for word yet. So maybe it covered this. But I remember reading, that when the NFL wanted to add another game on T-Day, Dallas was the only team to step up and say they would. However, Tex told them they want it every year as well. Not just that year.

Now a few owners, like Lamar Hunt some years ago wanted to take it away from Dallas, but the NFL said no. I think the Ravens or Vikings jumped in on that as well. That was when they decided to add the night game rotating teams.

DripTooHard

Reaction score
I didn't not read the entire article word for word yet. So maybe it covered this. But I remember reading, that when the NFL wanted to add another game on T-Day, Dallas was the only team to step up and say they would. However, Tex told them they want it every year as well. Not just that year.

Now a few owners, like Lamar Hunt some years ago wanted to take it away from Dallas, but the NFL said no. I think the Ravens or Vikings jumped in on that as well. That was when they decided to add the night game rotating teams.

They experimented in 1975 and 1977 without the Cowboys on T day menu. The ratings weren’t so good and the Cowboys promptly returned.

Add Green Bay to your list of vocal opponents to Dallas having the game each year. Mike Holmgren was instrumental in ensuring we played on the road the Sunday before Thanksgiving.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Why don't people propose that Detroit loses the game? Always Dallas. Maybe it's because historically we have had success on Thanksgiving and the Lions have sucked. I'm talking all-time.