ESPN/AP: Move over Rod Gardner, Portis planning a big partying offseason in Miami

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
ESPN/AP: Move over Rod Gardner, Portis planning a big partying offseason in Miami
posted on January-4th-2005 05:09 PM
Associated Press

ASHBURN, Va. -- Look out, Miami. Clinton Portis' plans for the offseason sound like trouble.

"To live like I ain't never lived before," the Washington Commanders running back said. "If y'all see me in the news, and I make the news for something that I ain't got no business making it for, don't bash me. Say it was a young guy living."

Portis, perhaps the most flamboyant player on the team, said he plans to deal with his rough season by hitting the beach at his Florida home.

"I'm too young to be stressed out," Portis said.

Portis, 23, said his 1,315 yards this season were "real tough yards" as he adjusted his slashing running style to an offense more suited for a power running back.

"I had to adjust. I had to switch up and become a big back," Portis said.

Coach Joe Gibbs said Portis' year compared favorably to John Riggins' best season in the 1980s.

"He is plenty strong enough. He can do everything," Gibbs said of Portis. "He can run inside, outside, he's a good pass receiver. He's a 1,300-yard back in this league in a year that we struggled. Does he have to be anything he's not? No."

joseephuss

Reaction score
http://www.az************/sports/cardinals/articles/1229ohalete-ON.html

Ohalete files complaint against Portis over jersey number

Associated Press
Nov. 29, 2004 05:20 PM

ASHBURN, Va. - Arizona Cardinals safety Ifeanyi Ohalete filed a complaint Wednesday against Washington's Clinton Portis, claiming the Commanders' running back failed to pay a promised $40,000 for a jersey number.

The breach of contract complaint was filed in Maryland District Court in Upper Marlboro by Ohalete's attorney, John Steren.

"This is a last resort to get back what he's owed," Steren told The Associated Press.
advertisement

When Portis was traded to the Commanders in March, he was unhappy that he could not wear 26, the number he had in his two seasons with the Denver Broncos. The number already belonged to Ohalete, who had been with the Commanders for three seasons.

Portis wore No. 3 and then No. 6 at the first two minicamps while negotiating with Ohalete. The players reached an agreement and signed a contract just before the start of the third minicamp on June 4, with Portis agreeing to pay $40,000 for the number, according to Steren.

Steren said Ohalete has tried to collect from Portis, but to no avail.

"He's asked Mr. Portis to make due on his obligation," Steren said. "The contact is fairly clear."

Ohalete switched to No. 30 after making the deal, but was cut by the Commanders during training camp in August. The Cardinals claimed him off waivers, and he has become their starting free safety.

"This is about honesty and principle," Ohalete said in the statement released through his agent, Premier Sports Management. "There is no gray area on this. We made a deal and drew up a contract.

"I held up my end of our deal and gave him my number. All I am asking is that he does what he agreed to do, and hold up his end of the deal as well. I don't think that is asking too much."

No court date has been set for the complaint. Steren said Portis could resolve the matter by paying the money.

Portis did not return a message left through a Commanders spokesman.

It is common in sports for athletes to negotiate for jersey numbers. Portis' attempts to get the number from Ohalete came shortly after the running back signed a $50.5 million contract with $17 million in bonuses.

KINGBRICE_28

Reaction score
not everyone is like darrell.......

With that talent none of us here can judge him. Personally if I was that good at football I would let it go to my head. Anyone that denies it is either a darrell green replica or full of @#$%.