ESPN: Best fits for top 50 free agents (RB fits Cowboys)

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ESPN assigns best fit for each of the top free agents. A few are Cowboys related.

20. Tyron Smith, OT
Best team fit: Kansas City Chiefs

The availability concerns for Smith are real; he has missed 33 games over the past four seasons with the Cowboys. But when healthy, Smith is a detailed technician with the physical demeanor to win on the edge. And he would absolutely upgrade the left tackle position for the Chiefs, limiting pass-rushers and keeping the throwing platform clean for quarterback Patrick Mahomes.

-

35. Josh Jacobs, RB
Best team fit: Dallas Cowboys

With the expectation Tony Pollard does not return to Dallas, the Cowboys could pivot to Jacobs. He has been a volume grinder for the Raiders, with the low pad level to finish runs and the quickness to make defenders miss. Jacobs, who led the NFL in rushing in 2022, could also be utilized as a receiving option for Dak Prescott on swings, screens and unders.

-

46. Tony Pollard, RB
Best team fit: Washington Commanders

With Antonio Gibson heading to free agency, the Commanders could target someone like Pollard on a short-term deal to create a backfield rotation with Brian Robinson Jr. I like that duo. Washington could then reduce the workload for Pollard while maximizing his dual-threat ability. In five pro seasons with the Cowboys, Pollard had 179 receptions, and in 2023 he rushed for over 1,000 yards for a second straight season.

ATXSRT

Reaction score
I'd love Josh Jacobs. Altho last year I wanted David Montgomery to spell Pollard that would have taken us to another level offensively.

If we don't get any of these RBs in FA, I'd like to draft Corum or Marshawn Lloyd.

menolian

Reaction score
I'd rather just draft a RB and spend the money somewhere else.

I have no clue what Jacobs is looking for. But if it's more than the vet minimum, it's a hard NO for me.
A great year to get a decent RB for hopefully cheap with Jacobs, Chubb, Pollard, Barkley, Henry, eckler, Jones all hitting free agency. Anyone else I miss

MikeT22

Reaction score
Tough trying to find a RB in FA when they are all going to be at least 5 yr vets going into the season. The whole, 'don't draft a RB in the 1st' is largely due to RB's falling off after 5-6 years, so signing a 5-6 yr vet. RB for far more than a rookie would cost seems foolish.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Jacob's was the best or 2nd best rb in the nfl 22-23 season. But probably will cost too much. Fa expectations are low like every season.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They need to draft a guy and sign a cheap veteran. Vaughn needs to step up or get cut.

Aven8

Reaction score
Braelon Allen will be on this team next year and you will like it!

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
RB should be easiest.to.fix.... that's if they fix the OL of course. Mid to late round pick plus an FA and it's done... No more shrimps please.

TheDank

Reaction score
Id rather Zach Moss on the cheap + Marshawn Lloyd in the 5th.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Vaughn needs to step up or get cut.
ON draft day MM said they would have a package for him. Well, they didn't. All year. And only gave him a handful of carries. I don't see how any of that is Vaughn's fault.