ESPN Chris Mortensen 11/7 Chat Wrap...3 'boys...some draft Q's

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: Sorry for the late start...let's roll.

MIke (TB): Will the Bucs hold off the Saints and Panthers and take the NFC south?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: It's going to be close. I really like the Bucs' schedule down the stretch but the key game looks like Dec. 2 at the Saints. I don't see the Panthers as a viable contender.

Kevin (NYC): Mort i need the inside information on Jonathan Vilma. Was he put on the IR b/c he has a "serious" knee injury or he has a minor one and the Jets just want him off the field?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: The Jets did not want him off the field. This was a knee procedure waiting to happen. As reported, it was a concern for some teams on Vila coming into the league. He's got some legit knee question marks on him.

Tim (Cleveland): This is the week the Browns show if they are a playoff team or pretender? How do you think they will play against Pittsburgh?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: Better than they played week one. But the Browns' defense won't be able to keep pace in this game, I don't think. And if you have been paying attention, I never abandoned hope for the Browns, even after that stinker week 1 vs. the Steelers. I think the Browns are an 8-8, maybe 9-7 team. Next year, playoff chance becomes legit as they focus on filling in some defensive gaps.

Liam (VA): Who has a better game Sunday: The NY pass rush or the Dallas O-Line? What are the other crucial aspects to that game?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: Well, I think the Giants will get some pressure on Romo, but he's pretty slippery.
Flip it over to the Giants' ability to protect Eli Manning. If that happens, the Giants should score plenty of points. And that means the Giants have to run it well, too. Unless it's a bad weather game, should be fairly high scoring.

Cole (Kansas City): Love your chats, Mort! The possibility of a spark at the QB position is an exciting prospect. Will we see Brodie Croyle play this weekend? How 'bout Kolb in Philly? (I'm a big McNabb fan, so I hope not there.)

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: We're closer to seeing Croyle. Damon Huard may be wearing down. I don't see McNabb taking a seat this month.

Bud (So Cal): How far do you think Favre can take the Packers in the post season?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: Favre and a very good defense can take Packers to the Super Bowl. Now, I would still rate the Cowboys ahead of them and the Giants are close, but I am not ruling out a Packers' Super Bowl.

Kurt (MN): Mort, Will Mike Brown ever cave and hire a GM? Marvin is a good coach, but his drafts haven't aided that defense at all. Given that offense, even if they had even an average defense they would be a force.

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: Marvin is drafting within the Bengals scouting system. Absolutely, the Bengals should hire a GM/top personnel man. No question. Will they? Don't hold your breath?

BrownGuy (Portland, OR): Mort, give us the realistic scenario with DA and Quinn next year...will the Browns let DA walk (would be stupid), will they start him (would be smart), or do they hand over the keys to this young and developing offense to a kid that hasn't proven himself (quinn)? Us Oregonians got to know...

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: I believe Anderson will be the quarterback next year in Cleveland and maybe beyond. He is the real deal, especially with those weapons. A lot of things can happen (slump, injuries) that could give Brady Quinn a shot. I think the Browns need to sign Anderson long-term. Remember, Quinn's deal only guarantees him $8 mill over five years, a very palatable amount.

Mark (NC): After watching Carr in Carolina several things have become clear. 1) Jake Delhomme is a lot better than people think he is. 2)Carr will not be working in the NFL next year. 3) Either there is something wrong with Julius Peppers this year or the man is over rated. 3) Carolina has got to draft a QB of the future in rounds 1 or 2.

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: I would agree on just about every point. The mystery is Peppers' performance. I would get a real good look at Matt Moore before committing to drafting a QB in round 1 or 2.

Dave (Dallas): Mort, what are you thoughts on the drafting that Marv Levy has done for the Bills the last two years? By my count they have drafted 9 starters.

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: Dick Jauron has done a real good job of drafting. That, combined with the good work by Tom Donohoe, gives the Bills hope. They have made some mistakes in letting people go because of the owner's tight-fistedness but the Bills are also an extremely well-coached team. I like watching them play, especially when Losman is at QB because they are more explosive on offense and Lynch gets a less-loaded box to attack.

Jeremy: I am all for giving Cameron and Mueller a fair shot. But not starting Beck is ridiculous. I don't care if he isn't better than Lemon "right now". We need to know about next year.

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: I think the Dolphins can go with Beck from Thanksgiving week on and still get the evaluation they need. Right now, they need to play the guy who gives them the best chance to win this week. It is important to win a game.

Chris (ABQ, NM): What is your reaction to Shula's statement about the Pats?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: I disagree with it.

Eric (Sioux City, IA): Mort, I don't agree with your logic regarding Derek Anderson. It assumes Quinn wouldn't be just as successfull with those weapons. They should use the 1st or 2nd rounder they could get for DA on a dlineman.

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: Derek Anderson throws the ball better than almost any quarterback in the NFL. In terms of pure throwing, I would venture to say that only Brett Favre is throwing it better. You can't teach that. You don't get rid of that.

Daniel (Athens, Ga): Earlier this week on one of these chats, several people suggested that Vince Young got "benched" by Fisher after throwing an interception, but that Collins shoulder was hurting so Fisher had to put Young back in on the next series. Do you know if this is true?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: I don't know if that's true. Vince Young is struggling with some 2nd-year growing pains. He did have a good week of practice last week, and started well, but then back-slid. Vince was disappointed with the way he played. I don't know why Collins shoulder would be hurting that much but I am checking into it.

Ben (Boston): Hey Mort, If we reach the giants game at 15-0, do you think belichick will play the starters for atleast a half? Maybe try to put the giants as close to away as possible before putting the 2nd and 3rd stringers in for the second half.

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: I assuming "we" are the Patriots. I don't believe Belichick will bench the starters. He will play to win the game. They have a bye the next week in the playoffs.

Joe (NY): Hey Mort, if the Jets are in position to take Darren Mcfadden should they pull the trigger, or trade the pick for multiple picks?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: McFadden compares favorably with Adrian Peterson but the same question will be asked: Do you use top-3 money on a running back? In this case, I'd say yes, since they have used first or second round picks on a left tackle and quarterback the past two years.

Mike (Boca Raton): Mort, you mentioned Tom Donahoe earlier. What is his status? Any possible return to an NFL team? By the way, does he still live in Pittsburgh?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: My understanding is that Donohoe is living in the Buffalo area as his kids finish school. He is still being paid by the Bills but that ends this year. His track record as a personnel man - evaluating and picking players - is among the five best in the NFL over the past 15 years or so.

Mike, SF: Mort, what in the world is wrong with the Niners? Is it Nolan? However, Willis is fantastic.

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: The 49ers have O-line issues when Norv Turner bolted for San Diego late, it hurt them at the o-coordinator position. Alex Smith is a concern at QB. They need WRs. But I believe Nolan and personnel man Scott McCloughan are quite capable of getting this done.

Ken (TX): I know college isn't really your game, but what do you think of the other underclassmen RBs, Felix Jones, Ray Rice, Slaton, Jamaal Charles, Mendenhall, etc>

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: Based on my personal observations, personal bias and discussing with a few NFL personnel men, Felix Jones may be the 2nd best back in the country behind his teammate, Darren McFadden. I have been told they are better, maybe much better, than the Cadillac Williams/Ronnie Brown duo in terms of recent comparisons. But it is a very good running back crop, depending on who comes out. I know teams are fairly excited that they can get a real good one in the second round.

Mike Tomlin (Pittsburgh): Do you think we can be the more violent team the rest of the year, as we were on Monday Night against the Ravens?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: That was a beautiful thing to watch. If the Steelers can consistetly match that physicality with the skills that Roethlisberger, Holmes, Ward & Parker provide, they can compete with the Patriots and Colts. The have to mature. I didn't like the road losses at Arizona and Denver.

PT (Franklin, NC): With another seemingly top 10 pick do you think the Raiders should go for a big name offensive playmaker, or attempt to shore up the offensive line?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: The Raiders need an explosive offensive playmaker, especially to take advantahe of Jamarcus Russell's arm. If they end up in the top 5, there's no receiver so the Michigan left tackle would be a value pick. Better than Robert Gallery.

Derek (Las Vegas): Hey Mort, what is your take on Adrian Peterson and the vikings? and is it me or is the NFC North is getting way better?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: NFC North is better, especially Packers and Lions. And Peterson gives the Vikings a lot of hope. If they get a quarterback (D. McNabb?) and their young receivers mature, they are going to be right there, too.

Jim (Indy): Do you see the Colts running the table and ending 15-1? Their defense is great, and Harrison's going to get healthy. Who's going to beat them?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: I don't know about that. I believe Harrison will never be a 100 percent this year. This schedule has been unforgiving during this stretch. Can they hold up physically. I think if they win this week in San Diego - no given - then getting a few extra days by playing on Thanksgiving night (in Atlanta) could be very beneficial down the stretch. But I kind of expect them to lose another game or two.

mike (az): Mort please once take a cards question. Can you tell us what to expect out of the pace and dansby negotiations. What kind of deals do you think these guys will get?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: I really don't know. Dansby's a talent but has had injuries. Pace may not be a high priority but you hate to let front-seven defenders go.

Jeff (St. Louis): Mort, do you remember a team ever having as many critical injuries as the Rams? Is the 1st overall pick too early to draft Howie's son? I'm dreaming of he and Carriker dominating on the left side.

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: Well, they have had critical injuries but so have teams like the Ravens and Bills and they're .500. Chris Long is very much a top 7 pick. Nothing wrong with building a great front but I think O. Pace is almost done so the Michigan LT would be great, too.

Bud (So Cal): I agree with your assessment of the Steelers Mort I was there at the Cardinals game and there were many disturbing observations I observed along with the Leinart struggles early in the game. Do you think pass-protection is the key to the top quarterback's success this year?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: Pass protection is important for every quarterback but that;'s where arm strength comes into play in this league. Quarterbacks have to be able to throw off-balance. But I believe Leinart is going to be a very good quarterback in this league. They will protect him as time moves on.

Clarence (Seattle): Hey Mort, Why do we continue to hear about how the Colts are a different team with Harrison and Ugoh, but nothing about how the Pats were missing Wilson and Morris. Seems like not having your starting FS and top rusher would impact your playbook, too.

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: The Patriots were down on Wilson. The Colts were missing a HOF receiver, a top rookie LT, their best LB, another LB and another WR (Gonzalez) from early on. But I really like the Patriots' depth. I think that won the game for them Sunday. That's always been one of the most unsung traits of a great team and organization - their 53-man roster is better than almost anybody's and they work it as hard as anybody.

Albi (Manhattan): Hey Mort, been a fan and watching you since I was a child (I'm only 28 now) Why don't the Saints cut Mare? He already cost us a game against the Panthers and I'm sure we can find someone who can make 30 yarders.

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: I love the "child" part and I appreciate it. The Saints have discussed cutting Mare and if they find someone they think can do a better job, they will. I never would have signed him.

Josh(San Angelo, TX): Hey Mort, Whos your mid season MVP? Brady,Moss, Peterson, Farve?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: Please, Patriots' fans, forgive me: I lean toward Favre. I just think 7-1 with no running game and average receivers gives him the edge. But, you know, Brady hasn't had a great running game, either. Can I make 'em co-MVPs?

Kevin (Manassas): Who do you think is really running the offense in Washington? I have a hard time believing Al Saunders is this conservative. I know they ran the ball well against the Jets, but when will the Skins open the offense up a little bit?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: I think Joe Gibbs has imposed his will on the offense and Saunders and that has to be based on something Joe has seen in practice from QB Jason Campbell and his receivers.

Steve McNair and Peyton Manning (Co - MVP's): Its been done before Mort.

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: Yes. But we have plenty of games left to hopefully cast one vote for one player.

Adam (Philly): Yo Mort! What are your thoughts McNabb's future with the Eagles? He has been extremely inconsistant and immobile.

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: I thought McNabb had turned the corner with his game at Minnesota, where he was very mobile. Maybe it was because he was fresh, coming off the bye week. I want to see how he finishes. It hasn't been a fill year since his surgery. If it doesn't get better, I would think the Vikings would make a play for him. He knows the system and they are a QB away from being a playoff contender.

Brett Favre and Barry Sanders (Co-MVP's)...: Not again MORT!!!!!

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: Stop it. Ha ha.

Todd (Detroit): Mort-erino, how much does Big Ben cash in after Romo's payday?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: He'll cash in well, probably in that $37-$40 mill guarantee range. He's pretty darn good.

Joe (Norton, MA): The numbers come season end will be too sexy for the voters... Brady with 50 something TD's will win MVP.

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: I'm sure you're right and he would be well deserving.

Andrew (rochester, ny): WHat's going on with Ricky Williams and his reinstatement quest? Do you think he'll be reinstated or ever play again?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: We should know any day now. I know the doctors had conflicting opinions on his status, which usually doesn't bode well. But there was nothing absolute going into this week. I believe he will play again.

Charlie: (providence, RI): You sound like one of New England haters. If Brady's season ends today. He is the MVP. Moss is a distant second. Favre comes after Romo & Peterson. As a respected football mind, its a shame you would even suggest that.

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: That means you haven't watched Brett Favre playing every week.

Chris (Jax): In retrospect, was it a mistake to cut leftwich since he would be a better back up than Gray?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: I thought about it but the answer is that Leftwich had so a powerful presence and never would have been content as a backup and may have split the locker room.

Richard (Atlanta): Hey Mort, do you have any idea why Petrino won't get Jerious Norwood the ball more than 7 times a game?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: I think every time they make the effort, Norwood gets banged up and comes off the field limping.

Chris (Macedonia, OH): Jacksonville's mistake was cutting Tim Couch. He could have made that team a playoff contender.

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: Not the Tim Couch that everyone saw on the Jaguars' practice field. Sorry.

Erich (CT): Honestly, it irritates me when people say Marion Barber can't be an every down back. What makes you analysts believe this?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: I don't know why anyone would say that. It's just that they have two different style backs. But I have sene enough from Barber to say he easily can be an every down back.

Bach (Cambridge): Farve plays in the NFC ... Brady plays in the AFC ... better numbers, more difficult opponents = clear cut MVP

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: I don't want to discount Brady, trust me on that. But Favre has beat the Chargers and gone on the road to beat the Chiefs and Broncos (Steelers even lost in Denver).

Sachin Chandhoke: Who will have a better second half- Ben Rothlisberger or Derek Anderson?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: It's funny, I was thinking the final Pro Bwol spot in the AFC should be between Big Ben and Anderson. I guess I'd give the edge to Roethlisberger but it's close.

Todd (TN): What do you think about Erik Ainge and Chad Henne? Are they future starters who can be drafted in the 2nd round or later?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: Ainge (Tennesse) and Henne (Michigan) appear to be two real good value picks for later first or second round picks. People I trust like Brohn (Louisville), Ryan (BC), Dixon (Oregon) and Woodson (Ky) befre you get to Ainge and Henne. But they are good QB prospects.

Joe (Sagamore Hills, OH): Mort, I think that the Eagles and Ravens are going to put some serious pain on the Pats. They might bring the alligator out in Moss and make Brady less effective. Both thoses games come before the Steelers game. What do you think of the cumulative effect?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: I think you're dreaming. I only think the Steelers have a shot and that game is in New England. And I don't think the Patriots will be intimidated by anybody.

Greg (Fargo,ND): Hey Mort, do you think that the rookie LT (Joe Thomas) of the Browns has a shot at the Pro Bowl? He's having one heck of a year.

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: Joe Thomas should be a Pro Bowl pick, based on his performance so far. Only Adrian Peterson is having a better rookie season.

Marc (Detroit, MI): Do you see the Lions making the playoffs this year? Have a great day Mort.

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: For the sake of Lions fans, I hope that happens. Now you're starting to see why I said Rod Marinelli was an "inspired" hiring at the time it happened. The defense is starting to get there. But the schedule does have some challenges ahead, as you know.

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: I'm sorry. I am enjoying this chat session so much but I have to run. Please catch myself, Parcells and Keyshawn on ESPN radio 7-9 pm ET every Friday and we'll break it down again on Sunday Countdown at 11 am ET. Thanks again and God Bless!