ESPN Clayton Blog: Coaching Vacancy Updates

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders was the NFL's hottest coaching candidate on Tuesday. He spent five hours Monday interviewing for the Chiefs' job. He left Tuesday morning for an interview with the Vikings and he will go to Houston for the Texans' opening. He was contacted by the Lions, who want to interview him later this week. All of this should lead to him getting the Chiefs' job. Saunders has been with team president Carl Peterson longer than all but a handful of employees. Saunders was there with Marty Schottenheimer and spent the past five years as Dick Vermeil's offensive coordinator, leaving only for a short stint when Vermeil was head coach in St. Louis. With Gregg Williams pulling his name out of the head coaching mix by staying in Washington, Saunders seems to be a better option than Herman Edwards because there isn't any draft choice compensation involved.

Edwards too costly: If the situation was even and Herm Edwards weren't currently employed by the Jets as head coach, Edwards might be the Chiefs' next head coach. The problem is this isn't an equal world. Draft choice compensation to get Edwards might be too much. The Chiefs were willing to give a second- and third-round pick for Vermeil, but the circumstances were different. Peterson wanted to turn around the franchise and Vermeil did that. But this is now an in order roster.

Raiders lining up candidates: The Raiders made contact with Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress and former Saints coach Jim Haslett Tuesday. They will be in for interviews. The Raiders probably will look at Dolphins offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, Ravens offensive coordinator Jim Fassell and maybe even Bengals offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski. There could be an outside chance the Raiders could look at former Browns coach Butch Davis, but he won't come cheap and that probably won't be an option for Al Davis.

Bills could be headed for makeover: One of the big debates between Bills coach Mike Mularkey and owner Ralph Wilson when the two met Tuesday was a few members of the coaching staff. Then they weren't on the same page on the reconfiguration of the front office. The meeting, which was held in Detroit, broke in the middle of the evening with a lot of uncertainty whether or not Mularkey would continue as coach. It's pretty clear the Bills will fire general manager Tom Donahoe on Wednesday. The fact that both sides were quiet could be a sign Mularkey is staying but with a completely different coaching staff.

Teams after Cameron: Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron is up to four interviews. He has heard from the Texans, Lions, Chiefs and Rams. Cameron is one of the hottest names on the coaching market.

Martz, Sherman waiting: The phones have been initially slow for former head coaches Mike Martz and Mike Sherman. Martz will probably start getting hot next week. Al Davis' Raiders will be among several teams that will be interested in Martz. Sherman may take a while because most of the NFL is still stunned he was fired.

The Chiefs appear to be the most active during the first wave of Black Monday coaching interview calls. They made contact with Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, Commanders defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, and Ravens offensive coordinator Jim Fassel. They will have to wait until next week to talk to Williams because the Commanders are playing on Saturday. Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders is going to be interviewed and is expected to finish in the final three. There is still the possibility team president Carl Peterson might go after Herman Edwards -- the Chiefs reportedly plan to contact the Jets for permission to speak with Edwards -- but, because of tampering rules, Edwards might have to work out a trade compensation arrangement with the Jets if he were to accept a Kansas City offer.

More on searches: Steelers offensive line coach Russ Grimm is going to be a big player in the Detroit Lions' search once it begins. Interim coach Dick Jauron isn't expected to be retained. Grimm has always been a favorite of Lions president Matt Millen; some people think Grimm is the leading candidate. The Packers made contact with the Steelers and plan to interview Grimm over the weekend. Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress will be a player in the Packers' and the Vikings' searches, but don't be surprised if Jim Bates, the current Packers defensive coordinator, wins the job. Bates was told Monday he's going to get an interview and will be seriously considered to replace Mike Sherman. This could be a tricky one for general manager Ted Thompson; he'd like to find a way to keep Bates on staff, but Bates would probably leave if he doesn't replace Sherman.

Jim Haslett's phone wasn't quiet Monday after he was fired by the Saints. The Lions are expected to set up an interview for later this week, possibly as early as Thursday. Haslett should hear something from the Lions on Tuesday. Haslett left the Saints with one year remaining on his contract at $3.2 million.

• The Houston Texans are hitting the coordinator trail hard for head coaching candidates to replace Dom Capers. Bills defensive coordinator Jerry Gray will interview with the team on Thursday. Cameron and Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak will be interviewed, as well. The Texans also are showing interest in Bengals offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski and Ken Whisenhunt, the offensive coordinator of the Steelers.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Thank you.

Nothing about the Boys candidates for Poindexter?

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
They will have to wait until next week to talk to Williams because the Commanders are playing on Saturday.

Thats kinda funny him asssuming Commanders are 1 and done in the playoffs lol

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
Thank you.

Nothing about the Boys candidates for Poindexter?
No, but I didn't look that hard either. I just went to his blog. But I'm sure there's an espn article mentioning them as candidates.

But honestly, I don't see them as strong candidates this year and not because I don't think boys can't overcome losing BOTH their coordinators.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Swat said:
No mention of the Giants Tim Lewis?

That sucks . . .
Not on ESPN.com at least. I just did a quick search and didn't find anything.

EDIT: PFW.com has him on the Rams list. I've also seen him mentioned elsewhere, but don't remember at this particular moment.

Swat

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Not on ESPN.com at least. I just did a quick search and didn't find anything.

EDIT: PFW.com has him on the Rams list. I've also seen him mentioned elsewhere, but don't remember at this particular moment.

Yeah, I've seen him mention on other sites . . . but I figured that blog would be the most up to date. But I guess with it still mentioning Greg Williams as a candidate for teams, its not.

I'm seriously hoping the Giants and Eagles both lose coaches this off season. The Eagles coaching staff has been in place for too long. They need to lose Childress and a few other assistants.

And the Giants defense is stout. I'm all for them losing Tim Lewis and whoever he brings with him.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Swat said:
Yeah, I've seen him mention on other sites . . . but I figured that blog would be the most up to date. But I guess with it still mentioning Greg Williams as a candidate for teams, its not.

I'm seriously hoping the Giants and Eagles both lose coaches this off season. The Eagles coaching staff has been in place for too long. They need to lose Childress and a few other assistants.

And the Giants defense is stout. I'm all for them losing Tim Lewis and whoever he brings with him.
Well I pulled from two different blog entries. I didn't post the blurb about Williams getting extended. And I also didn't want to go thru the trouble of deleting every mention of him as a candidate. The first few paragraphs are from today's entry and the last few are from yesterdays.

CalCBFan

Reaction score
I didn't think that any coach w/ a current PO team can be contacted w/o his team's permission. Maybe that is why there is no mention of Lewis. Also, wasn't Jim Bates our LBs coach several years ago? I liked what he did in Miami when Wannstead was fired (or resigned??). I'd like to see him get a chance and wouldn't mind him coming back here as part of that Jimmy Johnson Dreamscape mentioned above since Wanny is now at Pitt (and rather unsuccessful I might add)...

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lewis Unable to Interview This Week

By JOHN BRANCH
Published: January 4, 2006

Not securing a first-round bye in the playoffs did more than just make the Giants' path to the Super Bowl longer and more difficult.

It might have also cost the defensive coordinator Tim Lewis a first crack at one of the N.F.L.'s many new employment opportunities. The eighth coaching opening was created yesterday, when Oakland fired Norv Turner.

The Green Bay Packers have received permission from the Giants to interview Lewis, who is expected to be a candidate for other openings, too.

But a league rule, originally designed to help assistants on playoff teams compete for jobs that open immediately after the regular season, is working against Lewis, at least for a week.

For the playoffs after the 2002 season, the N.F.L. adopted a policy allowing assistants from playoff teams to be interviewed before the wild-card round. That way, they would no longer have to wait until after their teams lost, when a job might already be filled.

The policy was later amended: Assistants on teams with a first-round bye can be interviewed for jobs during the week before the first round, and assistants on teams playing in the first round must wait until the week after.

After the divisional round, assistants on teams still alive in the playoffs are not allowed to be interviewed for coaching positions until after their teams are eliminated.

As a result, Lewis cannot be interviewed until next week. The Giants play host to the Carolina Panthers on Sunday, and Lewis must wait while reports of other assistants' being interviewed percolate around him.

"It's because there is a chance that he may be totally out of the playoffs," the league spokesman Greg Aiello said. "If they don't win, the season would be over and you wouldn't have interfered with their season."

St. Louis, Houston, Detroit, Minnesota, New Orleans and Kansas City also have openings. Lewis's name is one of about a dozen appearing on most news media lists of potential candidates. But he is the only one regularly mentioned whose team plays this weekend.

The Texans will interview Gary Kubiak, the Broncos' offensive coordinator, in Denver on Friday, the Houston team spokesman Tony Wyllie said. The Broncos have a first-round bye.

The Rams are expected to speak to the Chicago Bears' defensive coordinator, Ron Rivera, who would have to have that meeting this week because the Bears also have a bye.

The league mandates that teams wishing to interview an assistant on a playoff team must travel to the assistant's location. So if the Giants win Sunday, the Packers and other suitors would need to come to the New York area to interview Lewis.

Gregg Williams, the Washington Commanders' assistant head coach for defense, was expected to be among the top candidates for a coaching job, but he is out of the mix. He signed a three-year contract yesterday to remain with the Commanders; he will not be allowed to consider head-coaching positions for at least another year.

How detrimental the late start is for Lewis is hard to gauge. Teams typically interview four or five candidates, so a one-week delay may only move Lewis to the back of the line.

The effect may just be perception. While other names are mentioned as teams conduct interviews this week, and as rumors place various names in various places, Lewis's name will be heard infrequently.

Lewis, like other Giants assistants under Coach Tom Coughlin, is not allowed to talk with the news media except on a few predetermined dates each season.

Lewis, 44, was a finalist two years ago for the Atlanta Falcons' coaching opening. He was also a finalist last year for the San Francisco 49ers' job.

In 2003, when he was the defensive coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers, Lewis was one of several minority candidates who declined to be interviewed for the Detroit Lions' job. That was after it became apparent that the Lions were going to hire Steve Mariucci and called others simply to comply with a league rule requiring teams to interview at least one minority candidate.

Mariucci's firing in November made the Detroit job vacant again, perhaps opening the door for Lewis this time. The Lions spokesman Bill Keenist declined to comment on that possibility.

Lewis's ties to Green Bay date to his playing days. He was a first-round draft choice of the Packers in 1983 and a standout defensive back until a neck injury ended his career in 1986.

The Giants will not say if teams have contacted them to seek permission to interview Lewis.

"At the appropriate time, I will support Tim and do everything that I can to help him along the way here," Coughlin said during a conference call Monday. "But this is not the time. We'll refrain from speaking about that. We're all trying to focus on Carolina."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/04/sports/football/04lewis.html?pagewanted=all

ravidubey

Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
Thats kinda funny him asssuming Commanders are 1 and done in the playoffs lol

I wouldn't assume any such thing. Washington is the hottest team in the NFC and has beaten everyone in the NFC playoffs (bad calls notwithstanding) except Carolina. I hate to say it but they have depth at QB, a good defense, chemistry on the OL, a back who's had five straight 100 yard games and the biggest playmaking WR the league has seen this year down the stretch.