espn.com Clayton 6/15 Quick Hits

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
June 15, 2005
A killer role
Kyle Turley's bad back painfully told him that it was time for a career change. In order to play football this season, Turley, now weighing 255 pounds with eight percent body fat, has to switch to defensive end, temporarily ending his days of being a dominating 309-pound right tackle. The Rams weren't going to finance his $3.65 million experiment on defense and cut him. His phone has been dead, so far.

"I don't think my marketability is too strong," Turley said. "What most likely will happen is that I'm going to end up taking this year off."

But his new, light body has given him other career options. While he waits for an NFL tryout, Turley accepted an acting role in the horror film "75," which comes out this fall. The hope is this horror flick will scare filmgoers like "Scream" did, and Turley -- the movie's main killer -- feels he's playing himself.

"It's a good role for me because I don't have to act too much," Turley said. "I think I can redevelop some of the anger management issues once again and kill some people."

Turley was known for his explosive temper and aggressive style. Unfortunately for him, a disc started to herniate in his back last summer, ending his 2004 season and changing his outlook for 2005.

His biggest problem is the inability to lift enough weights to get back to 300 pounds. Doctors won't let him do squats and bench presses. Instead, he works on his core strength but that doesn't regain the mass.

"I can't do all the weightlifting I had to do to get to 300 pounds," Turley said. "I guess if I eat enough Krispy Kremes, I can put on the weight so I can be a crappy half an offensive lineman but it wouldn't allow me to be the player I've been."

So, at the age of 29 and after seven seasons, Turley either has to find a new position or a new occupation. Turley isn't even sure his back will be strong enough to be an offensive lineman in 2006.

"The traditional ways of lifting aren't good for you as you get older," Turley said. "Actually, I'm in a lot better shape now and I'm stronger but I don't know where I will be when it comes to the NFL. Right now, I'm more of an athlete than a football player."

And in the weeks ahead, he will be more actor than football player. "At least I have a Hollywood body," Turley said

June 15, 2005
Lucking out
The Colts were fortunate that middle linebacker Rob Morris didn't have much appeal on the free-agent market. They re-signed him Tuesday to a one-year deal at $565,000 and they may need him because of injuries at the linebacker position.

Two linebackers are lost for the season. Keyon Whiteside, a fifth-round choice from 2003, was placed on the physically unable to perform reserve list and is out for the season. Deryck Toles, a practice squad-type linebacker, is out for the season. Fifth-round pick Tyjaun Hagler is recovering from a sports hernia surgery and hopes to be ready for the regular season. Kendyll Pope, a fourth-round choice in 2004, finished last season with a thigh injury.

Morris will compete against Gary Brackett for the middle linebacker job with Brackett heading into camp as the favorite.

June 15, 2005
Comfortable with No. 2
For now, Seneca Wallace is the Seahawks backup quarterback even though he hasn't thrown a pass in his first two seasons in the NFL. What's strange about that is he still is always helping as a candidate to be a punt returner, trying to take advantage of his elusive running skills. Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren would like to find a veteran backup, but that might not happen.

"I think if we have a chance to bring in a veteran, we probably will," Holmgren said. "Sometimes, you can't. We are not going to just bring in a guy to bring in a guy. I'm not going to do that. Right now, I'm feeling more comfortable with Seneca every day."

June 15, 2005
No retirees
Because he is currently retired, Ricky Williams won't be allowed to work out at the Dolphins facility once he arrives there following a cross-country drive that is supposed to conclude by the end of the week. Williams plans to come out of retirement July 28. He has hired a personal trainer in Miami to add some bulk to his current 195-pound frame. He also plans to start testing in the NFL drug program to prove his body is clean of marijuana. His agent, Leigh Steinberg, hopes the NFL will cut him a break and allow him to report to Dolphins training camp when it starts July 24.
----------

Just to add to the Ricky story, I read he's up to 205 and the dolphins have sent him a copy of their offseason workout program to get him back in football shape. Who knows when it's all said and done, the fins will either have a great backfield or good trade bait.