ESPN Draft Notes 4/12/24

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's empty the notebooks with everything else we're hearing and seeing this week.

Miller's notes:

Former Texas defensive tackle T'Vondre Sweat was arrested for driving while intoxicated last weekend. The Outland Trophy-winning defensive tackle faces a Class B misdemeanor charge after Austin police were called to the site of a crash between a SUV and a sedan at 4:41 a.m. on Sunday morning. Sweat was the driver of the SUV and was released from jail after posting bond. Considered a Day 2 prospect by most evaluators, Sweat's stock is in jeopardy following the arrest. The period between the combine and draft is often a test for prospects, and Sweat's arrest this close to the draft limits the time he has to explain the incident to teams and assuage concerns. Because of that -- and concerns over his playing weight at 366 pounds -- most teams I've spoken to believe he's a Day 3 selection.

If you're looking for a player who may surprise on Day 2 of the draft, Western Michigan pass-rusher Marshawn Kneeland is your guy. He had 36 pressures in 2023, and the 6-foot-3, 267-pounder is seen as a plug-and-play defensive end who has the ability to kick inside on passing downs. Teams I've talked to don't think Kneeland makes it out of the top 50 picks.

Reid's notes:

Georgia prospects Bowers and Amarius Mims held their personal pro days for scouts on Wednesday. This was the first time evaluators were able to see Bowers since the season ended, as he didn't participate in any testing or on-field drills at the combine. Bowers reportedly went through a full route tree in front of over 15 teams, including multiple position coaches. Mims, meanwhile, participated only in positional drills. There isn't a harder prospect to grade in this class in my opinion. The Georgia offensive tackle had only eight career starts but showed immense talent in those games. Ability isn't the question with Mims; it's the durability. He is arguably the most talented OT of this year's group, but he just hasn't been able to stay healthy.

Illinois defensive tackle Jer'Zhan Newton will work out for scouts on April 16. In January, Newton had surgery for a Jones fracture in his foot that he played through for most of last season. He came in at 6-foot-2 and 304 pounds at the combine, and there are still some scouts who believe he's the top interior defender in the class. All eyes will be on next Tuesday's workout, though he's expected to do only positional drills, per a source.

Yates' notes:

It was no surprise at all to see Iowa cornerback Cooper DeJean stand out at his personal pro day on Monday, though it was great to see him so close to his normal self just a handful of months removed from that significant leg injury that prevented him from taking part in the combine. What I find most fascinating about the draft for DeJean -- a first-round lock in my mind -- is what the team that drafts him has planned for him right away. DeJean's versatility is key. He was an excellent man-to-man cover corner, took snaps in the slot, played as an effective linebacker in some packages and was an incredible punt returner at Iowa. But some pro teams that I've spoken with have evaluated DeJean as a safety and feel confidently that he's the best player at that position in this draft. My own view: He's good enough to play so many spots that I'd be happy if the positional plan comes together on the fly based on how he develops during training camp.

The word is out now on one of the most fascinating prospects I studied during this process: Giovanni Manu from the University of British Columbia. Manu participated in a pro day of fellow Canadian prospects at the end of March and had some jaw-dropping measurables. He came in at 6-foot-7 and 352 pounds with 34½-inch arms, and he jumped 33.5 inches in the vertical. Scouts had his 40-yard dash time at sub-5.1 seconds. Manu is a former basketball player and should be a developmental offensive tackle prospect at the next level. He might need a redshirt year in the NFL, but he has so much upside given his physical tools. I think he's locked in as a Day 3 pick who could go as high as the fifth round.