News: ESPN: Jason Witten's key to success is starting over

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is a new season, and as usual I will look what is going forward, not what has happened in recent seasons. But use those seasons positives and drafts of what is being built for this season.
Injured players back, and what injuries we have now, aren't season ending. They will be back be mid TC or so. Maybe a few on PUP. But we knew that.

Offense can be a top 5, and the defense can improve more than what some want to give credit for. And when the suspended players return, it will get better from there. That remains to be seen of course. But I go with the idea it will improve. As a fan, you should always feel that way.

J_Allen

Reaction score
I'm not trying to be negative and criticize Witten, but if he has virtually no YAC then he needs to start running routes for the exact amount of yards we need on third down.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I'm not trying to be negative and criticize Witten, but if he has virtually no YAC then he needs to start running routes for the exact amount of yards we need on third down.

Defenders are sitting at the sticks. They are gambling that they can get him to the ground before he can get past the sticks. As he has aged...the gamble has paid off.

We need someone opposite him or backing him up that is more explosive. I have been calling for this for 3 years. His touches and snaps need to be reduced. He has been a great great player. He has also been afforded tenure you simply don't get in this league for non QBs. We have used 3 2nd round picks on this position since Jason has been here...with no success. Not sure who or what is to blame. But Fasano and Bennet have shown they are players...not Witten...but certainly they should have been more productive in Dallas than they were. And Escobar has simply been a disaster as a 2nd round pick.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Defenders are sitting at the sticks. They are gambling that they can get him to the ground before he can get past the sticks. As he has aged...the gamble has paid off.

We need someone opposite him or backing him up that is more explosive. I have been calling for this for 3 years. His touches and snaps need to be reduced. He has been a great great player. He has also been afforded tenure you simply don't get in this league for non QBs. We have used 3 2nd round picks on this position since Jason has been here...with no success. Not sure who or what is to blame. But Fasano and Bennet have shown they are players...not Witten...but certainly they should have been more productive in Dallas than they were. And Escobar has simply been a disaster as a 2nd round pick.

We definitely need someone more explosive. Witten can still be a good red-zone threat but he's no longer an every-down player and hasn't been for a while now.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

I think he'll look better this year.

He was supposedly nursing a lot of lower body injuries last year including an ankle. I think he'll look quicker this year.

I wish though that we had a TE or WR that could open up the middle of the field.

I would love to have Jimmy Graham in this offense.

conner01

Reaction score
I bet some would be shocked to see the players he had more YAC than

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I think he'll look better this year.

He was supposedly nursing a lot of lower body injuries last year including an ankle. I think he'll look quicker this year.

I wish though that we had a TE or WR that could open up the middle of the field.

I would love to have Jimmy Graham in this offense.

Rumors were swirling the Seahawks might cut him....I have a hard time believing that.....but It's floating out there. :rolleyes:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Rumors were swirling the Seahawks might cut him....I have a hard time believing that.....but It's floating out there. :rolleyes:

He would put us beyond over the top offensively.

3 wide as the base offense and put Graham as the slot guy. You could just do run pass checks on every single play.

Dez might score 20 TD's if Graham takes over the middle of the field down the seams.