ESPN MacMahon: Developmental dandies: Jason Williams

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Developmental dandies: Jason Williams

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys
July, 5, 2010 Jul 510:06AM CTEmail Print Comments By Tim MacMahonFirst in a 10-part series focusing on young non-starters who have a lot to prove during training camp:

[+] EnlargeAP Photo/Rob Carr
An ankle sprain hindered Jason Williams in his rookie season, and he struggled to pick up the Cowboys' scheme.Trading up to select linebacker Sean Lee in the second round was a value pick, not a sign that the Cowboys’ brass has lost belief in Jason Williams.

The front office and coaching staff, especially Wade Phillips, still consider their first pick in the 2009 draft an intriguing prospect. They still believe that Williams’ raw potential, highlighted by rare speed and quickness for a 246-pound linebacker, can be translated into playmaking production.

Williams, the 69th overall pick in the ’09 draft, acknowledges that he was lost while learning the Cowboys’ scheme during his rookie training camp. He had a rough transition from Western Illinois’ simplistic scheme – his role in college was basically to wreak havoc as a blitzer every down – to Phillips’ defense. That, along with a high ankle sprain suffered in the preseason, prevented him from contributing as a rookie.

There shouldn’t be near as much of a mental block entering Williams’ second season.

Williams says he’s confident in his knowledge of the scheme, allowing him to react instead of think. He’s also much more fundamentally sound in coverage than he was a year ago. Jason Witten says Williams has made vast improvements in his footwork and understanding how to use his body to prevent tight ends from getting to certain spots in their routes.

Williams will compete with Lee for playing time in passing situations, but there’s a possibility that both could be used in certain substitution packages. Williams is also trying to prove that he can be prepared to be a starter in the not-too-distant future.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I refuse to get excited about a player before I see what they can do on the field. Too many times have I gotten caught up getting excited over guys like Peppi Zellner.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cowboyjoe;3451679 said:
Williams says he’s confident in his knowledge of the scheme, allowing him to react instead of think. He’s also much more fundamentally sound in coverage than he was a year ago.
In that case, we should see him get some playing time this year. If Williams is the athlete the coaches rave about then there shouldn't be anything holding him back. Hopefully we will see some glimpses in preseason.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
dmq;3452113 said:
I refuse to get excited about a player before I see what they can do on the field. Too many times have I gotten caught up getting excited over guys like Peppi Zellner.

Except Jason was actually a Draft pick, Zellner was a Free Agent.

Plus Williams is a legit "freak" athletically speaking, it would be fair to expect more.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SilverStarCowboy;3452124 said:
Except Jason was actually a Draft pick, Zellner was a Free Agent.
Zellner was a 4th round draft pick in 1999 pick #132 if I recall correctly.

BlueStar II

Reaction score
dmq;3452113 said:

:star: I'm inclined to feel the same way about a player that we really haven't even seen yet. Like everyone else here, I'm hopeful, but, I won't get too excited until I see what he can do on the field.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Exciting

The kid has talent ..... lets hope he can become a force.

TD-33

Benched
Reaction score
I'll just add that if Wade sees something special in the kid, he gets the benefit of the doubt here.