ESPN Matt Mosley 11/8 Chat Wrap...'3 boys

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Keith (New York, NY): Where do you think the Steelers fit into the AFC playoff picture? Are they legit contenders against the Colts or Pats? They have a great defense, a solid QB, and a good RB who can't seem to find the end zone.

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: I thought we were only allowed to talk Shula this week. But since I just saw Pittsburgh in person, I'm happy to weigh in on this. The Steelers are the only team left on the Patriots' schedule that could give them some trouble. They have the ability to put some pressure on Brady, and an efficient offense that can help keep him off the field. I know Big Ben only threw 16 passes the other night, but he was incredibly efficient. And yes, the Ravens' secondary was banged up and pathetic. But still, I think the Steelers can at least stay on the field witgh New England.

Jason (Maine): Matt, love the blog. What are your thoughts on the officiating for the Pats/Colts game?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: I always think that if you're gong to call a game-changing penalty (over 40 yards), you better see something significant. I thought the two long pass interference penalties were questionable.

brian (ct): true or false: ohio state could beat the miami dolphins

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: The Vince Young-led Texas team that won the national title could possibly get it done. But I think Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor are too proud to let this Buckeyes team beat them - even if they do have the better quarterback.

Norm (Honolulu, HI): Should we care what Shula said? I mean, why is someone shoving a mike in the face of a person who has been out of coaching for decades unless it's just to get a rise out of him in hopes of him saying something well, stupid? your thoughts?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Noooorrrrmmm! It's obviously relevant because he's the face of that '72 team that's being threatened. The Patriots are by far the biggest story of the season, and a coaching legend tells my man Gary Myers that they're accomplishment would be dominished by the scandal. I don't have a problem with us sticking a mic in his face.

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: I like the way White's playing, but don't do that deal.

JJ(DC): Who cares about Shula? Now, how many wins do the Cowboys finish with this season? I got them at 13-3?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Give me 12-4. Things are about to get rocky.

Matt (NC): Matt, do you think the Giants can sustain their success in the 2nd half of the season.... starting on Sunday against Dallas?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: I don't sense a collapse coming this time. I know it's happened under Coughlin, but he's gone out of his way to change. He's still a hard A, but he's allowing his players to have fun. And don't underestimate the impact of Tiki not being in that locker room. He was a polarizing figure last season, and it neutralized his immense talent. They lost a great player, but I think they're a better team without him.

Dan - San Jose: You're kidding, right? The best college team would get worked by the worst NFL team every time.

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Yes I'm kidding, Dan. Stop taking me literally.

Adrian (Arlington, TX): Matt I love listening to you on GAC when I drive home. How do you think Romo will handle the much improved pass rush of the Giants? I'm a little concerned with possible fumbles if they can generate pressure on him. Your thoughts?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: I think you better keep a close eye on LT Flozell Adams. The Cowboys silenced the Linc, and that helped him avoid his usual false start penalties. But when he wants to, he can dominate players. Ask Trent Cole about that. Right now, the Cowboys' OL is wearing people down. No one is talking enough about that. Romo thrives on this type of opportunity. I'd be shocked if he played poorly.

Erik (Los Angeles): Yo, Can the Lions keep winning considering they're giving up a plethora of sacks? (What is it, 36 or some other crazy number?)

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: I think the latest coach to don a hoodie will have to help out his O-line a little more at some point. But when you're making big plays downfield, you can make up for a lot of mistakes. It also helps to have a running back who is starting to keep defenses honest. Play-action works much better that way.

Tommy mac from philly: Matt, what are the chances that the Bengals get rid of Chad Johnson in the offseason if they stink for the rest of the year and not live up to expectations?? In Philly he would make that team unstopable? Any chance for another T.O. miracle in the city of brotherly love with Chad Johnson?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Tommy Mac loved your work on those old Eagles teams, but I'm not sure what games you've been watching. If Chad Johnson can't get the Bengals over the hump with Carson Palmer, I'm not sure why he automatically restores hope to Philly with Don McNabb. I watched a team walk in there Sunday night and push the Eagles around. I'm not convinced McNabb will be around next season, so what makes you think the Kolb-Ocho connection would work?

Xander (Philly): Bills 9-7 and in the playoff hunt?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Xander: I want to believe, but Darth is headed to town soon, and things could get ugly. I think 8-8 is a more reasonable goal. Love Lynch's work, but not convinced the quarterback position is in good shape.

Mark (San Francisco): Do you the emergence of a great receiving and tight end corps for the Packers will keep Favre playing for a few more years? (And having a very good defense doesn't hurt either).

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: I'm through trying to decide when Favre will walk away. He's gotten advice from some of the other legends to not walk away until he's absolutely ready. No one has ever derived as much joy on the football field as this guy, and as long as he can make all the throws, he'll keep coming back.

David (Tustin,CA): Chargers - out of the playoffs? What is wrong with them??

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: I'm not ready to pronounce them dead yet, but getting pushed around by the Vikings is a really bad sign. You lose to the Colts on Sunday, and we're in crisis mode. Time for Norv to start looking for a coordinator's job. And I hear San Francisco could be in the market.

Xander (Philly): Any chance we can talk about this QB thing in Buffalo? I know neither one is great, but with a great running game and a solid O, all you need is for you Q to not make mistakes, and Losman is learning to do that and Edwards was doing that. The Bills control the clock, so why do they need a star QB?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Didn't say they needed a star. And yes it's nice to have someone who makes smart decisions with the ball. But at some point you have to make plays downfield to win games, and I'm not convinced they can do that. And don't bring up the Jets because they're awful. I like the Bills' defense. Kelsay and DiGiorgio are huge friends of the program, but all those mighty mites can only hold up for so long.

Richard (NC): hey matt, i am a huge panthers fan and cant help but think that the second half of the season is only going to get worse. should the panthers just play matt moore and relegate carr to the bench where he belongs to see what they might have in a younger player? also what are the bright spots that you see in this season other than jon beason and tommy davis.

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Carr is the biggest sack machine in the league. You had to love Haynesworth's line last week about thanking Carr for holding onto the ball so long. Classic. I've seen Matt Moore's work up close. Decent upside, but you've truly given up if you turn it over to him. Vinny gives you a much better shot to win than Carr or Moore. Wheel him out on the field and let him throw it. Still has a great arm. But as Myers told me earlier, "takes him four days to drop back."

Other bright sports: Unseasonably warm weather in Charlotte

Rossel (Waco, TX): Where's the love for Priest Holmes? He gets thrust in to the starting job after missing a few full seasons! And he's performing!

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: I showed him some love by picking him up on our fantasy team this week. Still not talking to my co-owner for benching Santonio Holmes. Oh my! But yes, I'm a Holmes supporter from way back.

TK (brooklyn): The colts have a small-quick-athletic defense also, how is Buffalo's defense any different? They make plays and hold opponents to field goals when they get backed into the red zone.

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: What? I like the Bills' defense, but Donte Whitner is no Bob Sanders. And the corners for the Colts are better. Who wins the Freeney vs. Schobel matchup? Mathis vs. Kelsay? C'mon TK. Surely you're not serious.

John (Tulsa, OK): Matt, was watching PTI yesterday and one of the Patriots LBs (missed his name) was asked by Tony if he ever thought about going undefeated. The player gave the tired Patriots line "I just think about our next opponent." Tony pushed again and said "you don't EVER think about it?" and with not even a smile, the player replied with the same line. I know its the "team" thing to say, but in many ways, isn't this why many NFL fans don't embrace the Patriots - because they seem like Belichick programmed robots?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: John: Imagine being one of the beat writers who covers them on a daily basis. Reiss' Pieces and the guy from the Herald whose name escapes right now deserve lifetime achievement awards. Yes, there's never been another team that reflects its head coach's personality like these guys. You know Brady has to be a lot better after a couple of beers, but for the most part, he echoes the head coach. Some fun guys on the team, but we don't hear much from them.

James (Corona, CA): Hey Matt, is the NFC starting to gain some on the AFC as evidenced by the Vikings and Lions beating, although struggling, decent teams?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: I just think you have about seven or eight nice teams, and everyone else is pretty mediocre. Except for the Dolphins, Rams, Jets, Falcons, etc.
I wouldn't interpret a Vikings team beating a Norv Turner-led squad as some type of watershed moment. Three of the top five teams are from the AFC. That's all I can tell you right now.

John (Nashville, TN): Why is it that the Titans get no respect at 6-2 but the Steelers are being talked about as one of the elites when they have the same record? Titans have lost to better teams by closer margins.

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: John: I've been driving this bandwagon ever since that performance in New Orleans. I love the defense. Haynesworth is lighting it up in a contract year. Seriously, name a defensive tackle who is playing better right now.
As long as Vince continues to throw in the general direction of that nondescript receiving corps and LenDale keeps rolling, everything will be fine. This is a playoff team. Can't wait to watch them in Indy.

Kevin (KC): Whats up with skip bayless. Why does he hate Lebron so much is it because he was the last picked in kickball and was not an athlete so all he can do is hate on others that are blessed?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: The argument that you have to be a former athlete to have a valid opinion is so unbelievably tired!

That said, I was a helluva kickball player who once knocked our PE teacher Mr. Davis on his rear with a shot up the middle.

Gautam:( Chicago,IL): Hey Matt, The biggest question for the biggest story this past weekend. Do you think the packers defense is good enough to contain Adrian Peterson? Can Greenbay win this game?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: When Childress is on the other side, you always have a great chance. I think the Packers will sell out to stop the run because they don't have to respect the passing game. And I don't care who's back there. I'll never know why the Chargers didn't just keep almost everyone in the box.
Just baffling to me. The Vikings' receiving corps is a joke.

Lenzy(Richmond Va): Do you but into the media bias that fans of every team seem to think exists? Seems Bills fan seem to think Mort poops on Marv and what he has done just cause Mort is friends with Donahoe.Should Mort, or Clayton, or Lenny be objective?, if not should we pay attention to em?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Listen, we all have people we like across the league. Some (like the guys you mentioned) have developed a huge amount of sources over the years. But the beauty of it is that you can choose who to believe or what to trust.

I think I'd keep paying attention to those guys. Oh, and also feel free to purchase an Insider pass.

Jon (Scottsdale, AZ): Upset Special Detroit @ Arizona?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Believe what you're seeing. The force is with Kitna. Also the 700 Club

tommy mac from philly: Fun chated with ya Matt...I guess ill move to the next room with K.C. Joyner after a smoke...take care yall...I love Espn!

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: I'm allowed five minutes of bonus time if anyone's still around. Tell KC I said hey.

Del Campo (Chino, CA): Is Bill Cowher coming back next season? I am hearing that he may return to Carolina. What are you hearing?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: That would be good fit since he lives nearby. Not sure Jerry R. will pay the $8 million or so that he may want. Cowher to Baltimore? Don't quote me on that though.

Dan (Toronto, Canada): Matt, has Jason Witten staked a claim (alongside Gates) as the best TE in the game today?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Gonzalez is still great, and Gates is more of an athlete. But Witten's about as consistent as they come. And his willingness to block is a big part of what makes him special. He's one of the toughest players in football. Just ask Parcells if you don't believe me.

Del Campo (Chino, CA): Bill Cowher to Baltimore? WOW!!! WOWO!!! There is bad blood now...Can you put it into words what type of trash talking would take place if he did go there? Do you think Bill would go to a rival team?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Money talks. Honestly, I don't think Billick's going to lose his job. He's trying, but it's not going to happen. I thought the Giants and Browns might have a shot at him, but that's not going to happen with the way they're playing. He looks pretty content on CBS.

Kevin (Manassas): Bill Cowher to the Commanders. You know Snyder will pay him whatever he wants.

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: I realize Snyder will pay him, but you can't force Gibbs out. If he retires, you may be onto something. Snyder would be all over that deal.

Matt (New York, NY): If this Giants win this weekend are they serious contenders to win the NFC?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Already are

Kevin (Pa): Heath Miller has to be in the conversation for best tight end. He is not the best right now, but he is top-5 and a better blocker than the other 4.

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: I like him. Not ready to put him in the conversation with those other guys though. I really like the rookie Olsen in Chicago for down the road. And Cooley doesn't get mentioned enough. He's Campbell's favorite target.

Stan (Dallas): Didn't you go to Baylor? Why no talk about the Bears and their head coach situation?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Stan: You can read more about this on Hashmarks later this afternoon. I'll provide a complete list of candidates.

Folks, it's been wonderful. I'd stay on here all afternoon, but Buzz has asked me exit stage left. Let's do this again sometime.

pgreptom

Reaction score
You know..

Does anyone remember when Witten broke his nose? Was he a rookie then? Didn't miss a beat...

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Matt (NC): Matt, do you think the Giants can sustain their success in the 2nd half of the season.... starting on Sunday against Dallas?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: I don't sense a collapse coming this time. I know it's happened under Coughlin, but he's gone out of his way to change. He's still a hard A, but he's allowing his players to have fun. And don't underestimate the impact of Tiki not being in that locker room. He was a polarizing figure last season, and it neutralized his immense talent. They lost a great player, but I think they're a better team without him.
From 2003 - 2006, the giants are pitiful 8 - 24 in last 8 games of their seasons, hope this trend continues.

DakAttack

Roy Williams
Reaction score
wastedfluid;1753591 said:
You know..

Does anyone remember when Witten broke his nose? Was he a rookie then? Didn't miss a beat...

I think you mean when he broke his jaw. He ended up playing after that with his jaws wired shut. amazing...
Now that I think back, he may have broken in nose too. The guy is a pretty tough hombre.

Jordan55

Reaction score
Wastedfluid, I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was his jaw and he played the following week

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
wastedfluid;1753591 said:
You know..

It was his jaw that he broke. Even more painful, I suspect.

CoCo

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1753561 said:
JJ(DC): Who cares about Shula? Now, how many wins do the Cowboys finish with this season? I got them at 13-3?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Give me 12-4. Things are about to get rocky.

I absolutely believe the Cowboys are entering a difficult stretch in their schedule. NYG in the Meadowlands and a very capable Skins team dying for a shot at what has once again become "America's Team." Once beaten Packers soon thereafter, and then a late game in FedEx where much could be on the line for both teams.

But Mosely's predicted 12-4 seems a bit more than "Rocky" to me. It strikes me as predicted failure whenever the going gets tough. If that is true then we really would be dogmeat in a SB match against either Indy or NE.

Yes, the Cowboys have some tough contests coming up. Yes, I think in some cases it even requires us to raise our level of play. But I think we're capable of just that. I think its even likely that this tough stretch will bring out our best performances yet.

I think these teams we face in the "rocky" part of our schedule ought to not just lick their chops over finally getting their shot at us, I think they ought to fear the kind of team we might become when someone suggests they are coming to take what is ours.

I don't expect timidity from this team. I don't expect us to wring our hands over the "rocky" part of our schedule. I am expecting we will very much rise to the challenge and are actually looking forward to it as an opportunity to make a statement.