ESPN Mortensen: believes no one "should expect Barber to be a factor on Sat.

Reaction score
ESPN's Chris Mortensen believes no one "should expect Marion Barber to be a factor on Saturday."

This is speculation on Mortensen's part, but it points to Barber's uncertain role in the Cowboys offense Saturday now that Tashard Choice has emerged as a viable alternative. Mort believes Barber did aggravate his toe injury at the end of Dallas' games. Barber owners facing the brutal Ravens defense will want to consider stronger options.

Link: rotoworld.com

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
It's clear Barber wasn't healthy, although on some of his TFLs, he couldn't help it as the blocking was terrible.

I'd rather Choice get all of the carries and let Barber rest.

Reaction score
theogt;2501683 said:
It's clear Barber wasn't healthy, although on some of his TFLs, he couldn't help it as the blocking was terrible.

I'd rather Choice get all of the carries and let Barber rest.

Not me! Barber at 80% can help out. We just may need two backs because I expect this to be a hard hitting game.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20, but Barber shouldn't have been playing.

Jerry questions his toughness, and that may have led him to play when he didn't have to.

He needs to be rested for a possible playoff run. Choice has shown himself to be capable. Let's ride him. It's not like he's worn down or anything.

Reaction score
tyke1doe;2501695 said:

Jerry questions his toughness, and that may have led him to play when he didn't have to.

He needs to be rested for a possible playoff run. Choice has shown himself to be capable. Let's ride him. It's not like he's worn down or anything.

STOP!!!!! with the crap Jerry was questioning Barber's toughness!

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2501695 said:

It was fun watching jerry kiss up to barber during the pre game stretching, he made a point to go over and talk to him while he was getting stretched so all could see him.

pretty funny.

Romo2Dez4six

Touchdown!!!!
Reaction score
choice can handle it. barber can help, but i say Choice needs the bulk Sat. A healthy Barber and Choice for the playoffs is what I want.

Givincer

Reaction score
Shouldn't have played him last week.

But I don't blame the coaching staff for doing it, since it was such an important game. Now that they know how he looks playing in a game with that injury, I'd hope they don't try again until he's healthy.

Choice has fresh legs relative to the rest of the league, since he hasn't played much all year. Julius came in with fresh legs halfway through 2004.

Heck, Choice accounted for 57% of our total offensive production in Pittsburgh (166 yards / 289 yards) and over 45% of it against New York (143 yards / 321 yards). And those are two of the better defenses in the league, on top of it.

dallas_112678

Reaction score
I think we should use barber on short yardage stuff on goal line plays, hes better at that than choice, but choice is better as the main back for now while barber is not healthy.

Romo2Dez4six

Touchdown!!!!
Reaction score
dallas_112678;2501742 said:
I think we should use barber on short yardage stuff on goal line plays, hes better at that than choice, but choice is better as the main back for now while barber is not healthy.

i agree. I get goosebumps on those swing passes to Choice, he does great things with them.:eek:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I think Jerry was telling the truth about why he was surprised. But Barber needs to rest that foot. Playing on it could not help. He is barebly an ordinary back with that foot. We need him at his best. Maybe he will be this week. I'm not so sure.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Probably should rest him.

We could tell he was not 100 or even 90% during the last game and yes I am taking into account the run blocking. Just did not have that same umph that he normally has.

Also heard that someone reported he was still limping Yesterday or the day before.

If they play him at all it might be best served from him to just be in for a few passing plays...whether that be in a check down role or pass blocking role.

You want him better for the playoffs if we make it.

But I guess that is up to Marion and the Team.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2501795 said:
Probably should rest him.

We could tell he was not 100 or even 90% during the last game and yes I am taking into account the run blocking. Just did not have that same umph that he normally has.

Also heard that someone reported he was still limping Yesterday or the day before.

If they play him at all it might be best served from him to just be in for a few passing plays...whether that be in a check down role or pass blocking role.

You want him better for the playoffs if we make it.

But I guess that is up to Marion and the Team.

I agree I would have Barber play in the game but in a limited role until he is better. There was no doubt in my mind that he did not have the same burst or drive as he normally has.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Please for the love of sanity make Barber rest and heal....

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I think he will be there for some play. We have no real information on him other than he is still clearly limping. Just by that and his play Sunday I'd say he needs to play as little as possible.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2501681 said:
ESPN's Chris Mortensen believes no one "should expect Marion Barber to be a factor on Saturday."

This is speculation on Mortensen's part, but it points to Barber's uncertain role in the Cowboys offense Saturday now that Tashard Choice has emerged as a viable alternative. Mort believes Barber did aggravate his toe injury at the end of Dallas' games. Barber owners facing the brutal Ravens defense will want to consider stronger options.

Link: rotoworld.com

Did an un-named source give him this belief? :laugh2:

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
Rest him. I don't want him on the field if he's not 100%. He won't be helping us any. Choice is more then fine and capable. Let's play with our healthiest and strongest horses.

newlander

Reaction score
I'm with the majority here:MB3 is the man: when healthy, right now he is a shadow of his normal self: sit him. Sucks, but Coleman can back up Choice for this week (short week at that)

Angus

Reaction score
newlander;2502011 said:
I'm with the majority here:MB3 is the man: when healthy, right now he is a shadow of his normal self: sit him. Sucks, but Coleman can back up Choice for this week (short week at that)

Choice is the better all round back. Barber is great when he is used properly, but he is not used properly as an every down back. He split carries in college and in the pros until this year. Cramming a perfectly good square peg - even a great one - into a round hole doesn't make good sense. Rest Barber until he can do his thing again - blast through the opposition in the late going.

Just my opinion.

:eek: