ESPN nfl.com's double standard

keds

Reaction score
For the last couple of days I've visited ESPN NFL.com and have seen the mug shot of Quinton Williams, the Dolphins free agent rookie, pasted on their website.

This Williams guy made an obvious bad decision drag racing at a speeds up to 110 mph while under the influence of alcohol. This is serious stuff but I don't see how it merits two weeks of coverage on one of the country's most visited football website.

A car speeding at 110 mph isn't as obvious as ESPN's double standard. It's incredible how it protects its poster boy Michael Vick who got next to no coverage after being charged with infecting a former girlfriend with an STD, but on the other hand makes a huge example of an unknown like Williams.

In their own eyes the people running ESPN think they are doing us a big favor by putting the spotlight on a drunk driving football unknown. It makes ESPN look good reporting it and the NFL look good by making fans think that teams are finally getting tough with problem players.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Are you talking about NFL.com OR ESPN OR both?

I haven't paid enough attention to ESPN headlines to notice if they headline lesser lights' misdeeds over those of stars. I kinda doubt it tho..headlines about nobodies don't draw as much attention.

The Williams/Vick analogy isn't a good one tho.

One was charged with the conmission of a crime. The other wasn't - Vick has been charged with nothing, tho a civil suit (or celebrity nuisance suit) looks like an inevitablity.

One endangered the community. The other allegedly endangered his consenting sex partner.

One committed a crime that is openly discussed. ESPN, as a legitimate sports news source, has to be careful not to overdo discussion of a topic that typically quickly devolves into smut talk.

A better comparison might be how ESPN has covered the Sean Taylor case compared with Quintin Williams.

VThokie7

Reaction score
keds said:
For the last couple of days I've visited ESPN NFL.com and have seen the mug shot of Quinton Williams, the Dolphins free agent rookie, pasted on their website.

This Williams guy made an obvious bad decision drag racing at a speeds up to 110 mph while under the influence of alcohol. This is serious stuff but I don't see how it merits two weeks of coverage on one of the country's most visited football website.

A car speeding at 110 mph isn't as obvious as ESPN's double standard. It's incredible how it protects its poster boy Michael Vick who got next to no coverage after being charged with infecting a former girlfriend with an STD, but on the other hand makes a huge example of an unknown like Williams.

In their own eyes the people running ESPN think they are doing us a big favor by putting the spotlight on a drunk driving football unknown. It makes ESPN look good reporting it and the NFL look good by making fans think that teams are finally getting tough with problem players.

There is no proof that Vick did infact infect a girlfirend with herpes, she made the claim, but since when does a claim make it fact and worthy of blasting Vick throughout the media.

keds

Reaction score
Williams while being irresponsible in driving fast did not kill anyone. He was drag racing. There was no intent to kill anyone. On the other hand the situation with Vick is much more serious as it directly affects a woman's health and livelihood.

My opinion is that the Quintin Williams mug shot on ESPNnfl.com is overkill.
I don't think what Williams did warrants that kind of coverage. ESPN will milk politically appealing stories till they're dry.

In the age of 24 hour news it's odd how certain stories get a lot of coverage when others get unexplainably under-reported or not reported at all.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
Leonard Little killed a mother in a drunk driving binge in his car. I don't remember seeing the coverage now that that are giving Williams. He then goes out and signs a 25 million dollar contract then goes out this off season and gets another DUI. That's the guy thats mug shot should be on ESPN and thats the guy who should never be allowed to play another down in the NFL.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Have there been MULTIPLE articles on Williams at ESPN, or is it the same situation as at the Redzone..because of the dearth of NFL news and most folks going on vacation this time of year, the same headline and articles stay up a lot longer.

Bad timing by Williams, is my guess.

It's more "dog days' than double standard.