Twitter: ESPN & NFL reach 5-year rights agreement to present new Monday Night Wild Card game

RoyalCowboy

Reaction score
Only thing that would suck is the winner of that Monday night game would have a short week to play the divisional games that following weekend. Hopefully they can set it up so that whatever conference it is that plays that Monday night game, could at least play on Sunday. But it would be a little worse if the winner was a road team in my opinion. They would go home, have to travel away again if they are a lowest seed of course, which would make things a little more difficult than it already is. But it's a necessary evil I guess for 1 extra team for each conference.

But who would play the Monday night game?

The questions we have to ask ourselves is which conference will play the Monday night game? Then...

• Will the NFL choose the (#7 seed vs. #2 seed), (#6 seed vs. #3 seed), or the (#5 seed vs. #4 seed) game?
  • And then will they give them a fair number of days to prepare for the divisional round game of the playoffs?
  • And then will it be a rotational type thing for that extra Monday night game? AFC 1 year, then NFC the next year and rotate every other year?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Really no issue which network gets post season game, not crazy about a game being played on Monday setting up a short week the for the following game the winner will have to play.

I was thinking the same thing, it will be unfair for the winner to have to play on a short week in the postseason. Then again it serves as more incentive to get a first round bye too.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Not fair to whoever wins that game, but...

BabyishSpanishFreshwatereel-size_restricted.gif

Titleist

Reaction score
For someone who cut the cord, I'm glad to see it will be televised on ABC and not just ESPN.

Motorola

Reaction score
Really no issue which network gets post season game, not crazy about a game being played on Monday setting up a short week the for the following game the winner will have to play.
Does the league office consult with the competition committee - composed of team front office personnel (Stephen Jones is a member) and head coaches- about this change?. The Saturday afternoon and night games are alright.
But it is bad to extend playoff games to Monday.

conner01

Reaction score
Not a fan of it being on Monday night but more revenue for the league and more money for the players

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Not a fan.

The regular season means less now with more games and nearly half the league getting into the playoffs.

Only 1 team gets a bye?

Garbage.

I think only one team getting a bye makes the regular season matter more though.