ESPN: Norv wants Rivera for DC?

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Updated: Jan. 31, 2007, 5:25 PM ET
Turner leads Cowboys candidates; decision next week

ESPN.com news services

While Norv Turner remains the leading candidate to be the next head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Wednesday that another candidate has emerged: Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera.

According to league sources, Rivera's contract with the Bears will expire after the Super Bowl, and the Cowboys are interesting in talking to him about their head-coaching job.

On Tuesday, the Cowboys interviewed Bears Hall of Fame linebacker and 49ers assistant coach Mike Singletary, and indications are that Singletary was impressive in his interview.

Meanwhile, Turner, San Francisco's offensive coordinator, has made stipulations in his talks with the Cowboys, including asking for a say in personnel decisions and the power to choose his staff.
Now it looks like Turner could want Rivera as his defensive coordinator.

In his first public comments since Parcells retired Jan. 22, owner and general manager Jerry Jones said Wednesday he wouldn't have a decision on a new coach until next week. Jones has interviewed eight candidates, and he said he might add to that list.

"We've got a good football team, and I've got to get this right," Jones said. "We've got to make a good decision when we select the next coach. We're going to have the opportunity and a plan in place that will allow us to do that."

Jason Garrett was hired Thursday for an unspecified role on the coaching staff, likely as offensive coordinator, after he interviewed for the head coaching vacancy. Garrett, who was Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman's backup for two Super Bowl titles, is still a candidate for the top job.

Defensive coordinators Wade Phillips of San Diego and Gary Gibbs of New Orleans have also interviewed, as did three of Parcells' assistants.

Jones said he hasn't eliminated any of the candidates from consideration.

"I feel very comfortable with where we are," Jones said. "But if I can, I don't want to leave any stone unturned here."

Parcells went 34-32 and failed to win a playoff game over four seasons.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
Rivera would have to be brain dead to come here as anything less than HC.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1351905 said:

Ya, don't know where BSpn pulled that out of(oh ya, i guess i do) but it won't happen. Just goes to show what they know. I was more interested in the Jerry quotes.

DizzG

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1351905 said:

Why? his contract is up after the superbowl with the Bears and his salary isnt all that high either

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
DizzG;1351916 said:
Why? his contract his up after the superbowl with the Bears.

He would be coaching lesser talent under Norv friggin Turner. Nuff said.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
If Rivera's contract is up, then he could come here. Of course with a raise.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
Clove;1351926 said:
If Rivera's contract is up, then he could come here. Of course with a raise.

He could come here, money would have to be his only motivation.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1351928 said:
He could come here, money would have to be his only motivation.
Personally, I'd rather obtain him for the Head Coaching vacancy.

DizzG

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1351920 said:
He would be coaching lesser talent under Norv friggin Turner. Nuff said.

I dont think Turner is going to be hired and Dallas is not far off from being a serious contender. That and he is not under contract for next season there and isnt making as much as some DC's around the league.

not hard to imagine

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
This would be a studly coaching line up.

Phillips head coach -- Rivera Defensive Coordinator -- Singletary linebacker/dline coach -- Norv Turner Offensive Coordinator -- JGarrett QBs coach --

Jerry, pull out ya wallet and hire all these people.. ;)