News: ESPN Picks The Cowboys Most Team-Friendly Contract, And The Winner Is...

CCBoy

Reaction score
ESPN Picks The Cowboys Most Team-Friendly Contract, And The Winner Is...
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016...most-team-friendly-contract-and-the-winner-is

...But ESPN went with a much smaller contract, and one that verifies the Cowboys smart approach to free agency.

Dallas Cowboys

Alfred Morris, RB

Before drafting Ezekiel Elliott, the Cowboys bought cheap insurance by signing Morris to a two-year, $3.5 million deal. Getting a second year at low cost was key for the Cowboys, who used a similar strategy with Darren McFadden. The team gets all the upside.

The Alfred Morris contract was a great deal. You have to remember the context too, this was before they drafted Ezekiel Elliott. When they looked around for insurance for Darren McFadden, they found a two-time Pro Bowler who has rushed for over 1,000 yards in three of his four seasons, and is only 27-years-old. He also happens to fit their running scheme pretty well. His cap number for 2016 is $1.3 million, for 2017 it's $2.2 million.

That should be the definition of bang for the buck.

The Cowboys pulled off a similar trick in 2015. When DeMarco Murray left, another sign of their frugality, especially at the running back position when they refused to pay him over the limit they had set, they grabbed McFadden. That one was more of a leap of faith than Morris' signing, McFadden was injury-prone and older, no one knew if he could really get it done. But the Cowboys signed him to a two-year deal with cap hits of $1.15 million in 2015 and $2.15 million in 2016. Last year he showed he could still get it done...

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I don't read joeingtheboys but if this is which player on the entire roster has the most team friendly contract the answer is easy. La'el Collins. One of the best OGs in football and he's paid pennies on the dollar.

Pretty true.

Though I nominate Tyron Smith because of a different situation.

He's probably our best player and he's probably the 2nd best LT in the league.

Unlike Collins, Smith had loads of leverage to jack up the price-- but instead he signed a very team friendly deal making him a cornerstone for us for his NFL life.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pretty true.

Though I nominate Tyron Smith because of a different situation.

He's probably our best player and he's probably the 2nd best LT in the league.

Unlike Collins, Smith had loads of leverage to jack up the price-- but instead he signed a very team friendly deal making him a cornerstone for us for his NFL life.

Who's the best LT in football?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't read joeingtheboys but if this is which player on the entire roster has the most team friendly contract the answer is easy. La'el Collins. One of the best OGs in football and he's paid pennies on the dollar.

I DQ rookies for this convo as all rookie deals are team friendly.

If you DQ I think they awnser is easy. Tyron Smith

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Tyron is better than Thomas

I'm a big Tyron fan, but he and Thomas are neck and beck at this point. In which case, I err on the side of larger body of work.

That said, from a physical stand point it's really hard to take anyone's skillset and diligence over Tyron's. I think the kid isn'only getting better.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
12m is not really bargain for even the best LT.....it is a good deal but 'best value' guys are saving the team big bucks....Sean Lee's 5m comes to mind....Romo at 17m is a good deal

CCBoy

Reaction score
Yea, but bang for the buck...I'm on the trail of Morris, Jones, and Collins really getting serious focus as to play, well, this team beyond that will be garnering attention. They may be important as producers this season.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score

No the most team friendly is Tyron Smith. Because he is signed through the next 8 years, on a deal that looks better every year and that we can constantly raid for cap space.

La'el, in contrast, will need to be extended next offseason.

CCBoy

Reaction score
IRVING, Texas -- Alfred Morris saves money like his roster spot is forever in jeopardy, which makes sense if you think about it.

It's the reason why the four-year veteran still drives his beloved 1991 Mazda 626, which is the kind of car you usually find a high school senior driving.

The car speaks to Morris' mentality: dependable, reliable and consistent.

He's a former sixth-round pick from Florida Atlantic who burst onto the NFL scene with 1,613 yards, a 4.8 yards-per-carry average and 13 touchdowns.

But his yards per season and average per carry have decreased each of the past three seasons, culminating with 751 yards and a 3.7 average in 2015.

It marked the first time in Morris’ career he failed to gain 1,000 yards or average 4.0 per carry. And that's part of why the Washington Commanders opted not to re-sign him, which is how he wound up with the Dallas Cowboys.

He signed a two-year deal worth $3.5 million to compete with Darren McFadden for the starting job -- or least share the carries with him.
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowb...prepares-to-take-advantage-of-his-opportunity