ESPN Power Rankings... 'Boys #3

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2008 Power Rankings: Week 5 RK (LW)TEAMRECCOMMENT
nyg.gif
1 (2)Giants3-0-0Took the NFC East lead without getting off the couch. With the Seahawks coming in, Giants are staring at 4-0. (MM)
ten.gif
2 (4)Titans4-0-0Hard to find fault with the franchise's first 4-0 start. But you have to take note that the teams they've beaten are 3-12 combined. The Titans are the only team that has played three home games. (PK)
dal.gif
3 (1)Cowboys3-1-0We'll see if the loss to the Commanders is a wake-up call. The good news is Cincinnati, Arizona and St. Louis are next. (MM)
buf.gif
4 (6)Bills4-0-0The Bills have overcome three straight fourth-quarter deficits to remain undefeated. Their opponents have a combined record of 4-11, but the Bills have been sensational when it matters most. (TG)
pit.gif
5 (5)Steelers3-1-0The Steelers got back on track with a big win against Baltimore to solidify their spot as one of the AFC's best. (JW)
was.gif
6 (15)Commanders3-1-0Beating the Cowboys on their home turf has to count for something. Big game with Philly looms. (MM)
car.gif
7 (10)Panthers3-1-0Steve Smith and Muhsin Muhammad give Panthers best receiver duo since Muhammad's departure three years ago. (PY)
sdg.gif
8 (9)Chargers2-2-0The Chargers' win over Oakland wasn't pretty, but 25 points in the fourth quarter is a nice indication of what this team can do. (BW)
phi.gif
9 (3)Eagles2-2-0Deserve a little grace for playing without Brian Westbrook, L.J. Smith and Shawn Andrews. Can't afford to lose at home to the Commanders. (MM)
tam.gif
10 (13)Buccaneers3-1-0Brian Griese 3-0 since taking over as starter. (PY)
den.gif
11 (7)Broncos3-1-0The Broncos will continue to slide down the rankings if their defense can't improve. Too much pressure is being put on the Denver offense. (BW)
jac.gif
12 (14)Jaguars2-2-0Two consecutive late-game rallies, spurred by a precise David Garrard. They've officially survived the 0-2 start and losses to Tennessee and Buffalo don't look so bad. (PK)
nwe.gif
13 (11)Patriots2-1-0Eviscerating loss to Dolphins in Week 3 gave Patriots plenty to work on in their bye week. If they can't beat the 49ers on Sunday, prepare for panic to set in. (TG)
bal.gif
14 (17)Ravens2-1-0There's nothing wrong with a 2-1 start. But the Ravens missed out on a chance to make a huge statement in Monday's road loss to Pittsburgh. (JW)
gnb.gif
15 (8)Packers2-2-0The Packers might have to start their backup quarterback for the first time in 16 years if Aaron Rodgers can't recover from a sprained shoulder. (KS)
nor.gif
16 (16)Saints2-2-0Deuce McAllister is back to bring much-needed balance to the offense. (PY)
ind.gif
17 (12)Colts1-2-0The Colts enjoyed a week off to help refocus and heal. But the best medicine could be the Texans, who've only beaten Indy once. (PK)
chi.gif
18 (20)Bears2-2-0The Bears hope they turned the corner in defeating Philadelphia. One thing is for certain: They showed important versatility on offense. (KS)
nyj.gif
19 (21)Jets2-2-0Brett Favre's six-touchdown day breathes new life into the Jets heading into their bye week. But defense ranks 28th on points allowed and 24th in yards allowed. (TG)
ari.gif
20 (18)Cardinals2-2-0Pass protection must improve or Kurt Warner won't last. Cards face must-win vs. Buffalo. (MS)
min.gif
21 (19)Vikings1-3-0It doesn't get any easier this week at New Orleans on Monday Night Football. (KS)
sfo.gif
22 (22)49ers2-2-0J.T. O'Sullivan has taken 19 sacks in four games. Tough week for Niners with Pats coming off bye. (MS)
sea.gif
23 (23)Seahawks1-2-0Bye week allowed Seahawks to get healthier at receiver. Defense must step up. (MS)
atl.gif
24 (24)Falcons2-2-0Falcons beating bad teams and losing to good ones. Must keep Michael Turner running against the good ones. (PY)
cle.gif
25 (26)Browns1-3-0The Battle of Ohio wasn't pretty. But the Browns finally got a win and have the bye week to try to get better. (JW)
mia.gif
26 (25)Dolphins1-2-0Dolphins shocked the NFL with a crazy romp over the Patriots in Week 3. If the Dolphins can follow up with a win at home over the Chargers, they would rekindle long-lost hopes in South Florida. (TG)
hou.gif
27 (27)Texans0-3-0Remaining upbeat despite losing a game they should have won. Ready for a full month at home in Reliant Stadium with the roof open. (PK)
oak.gif
28 (29)Raiders1-3-0The Raiders may be a mess, but this team is playing hard. Good things will start to happen if that trend continues. (BW)
kan.gif
29 (31)Chiefs1-3-0The Chiefs deserve a lot of credit for their big win over Denver. Many pundits thought they'd go 0-16. That is no longer a worry. (BW)
cin.gif
30 (28)Bengals0-4-0This team wasn't good with Carson Palmer. Without him, it might be the worst team in the league. (JW)
det.gif
31 (30)Lions0-3-0Matt Millen's departure doesn't make them any better. At least not this year. (KS)
stl.gif
32 (32)Rams0-4-0Rams would be wise to give Marc Bulger another shot. Trent Green's not the long-term answer. (MS)

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I don't understand the love for the Bills. They have struggled against Stl, Oak, and Jax and it took them lots of help from special teams to beat Sea.

I haven't been impressed with any of their wins.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
I woulda put us much farther down the list then that. The more this season goes on the less dominant we are in my eyes. We are still very good just not as far ahead of everyone else as I originally thought

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;2300224 said:
I woulda put us much farther down the list then that. The more this season goes on the less dominant we are in my eyes. We are still very good just not as far ahead of everyone else as I originally thought

We played our best game of the season against GB

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQcowboyJR;2300224 said:
Of the rest of the teams in the top 10, who would you push above them? One loss to a solid team, doesn't mean you stink like sewage.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2300231 said:
Of the rest of the teams in the top 10, who would you push above them? One loss to a solid team, doesn't mean you stink like sewage.
Did not say we were bad. I stated in my post that we were good. Just not dominant.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQcowboyJR;2300245 said:
Did not say we were bad. I stated in my post that we were good. Just not dominant.
I get that. I was referring to the other part where you thought they would be ranked lower.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2300264 said:
I get that. I was referring to the other part where you thought they would be ranked lower.
I feel like your forced to put washington ahead of us now at the very least.

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
CBS Sportsline dropped us even further down in the power rankings (#5, in fact), and I couldn't be more happier with it. I'm tired of the Cowboys being the media darlings and the consensus favorites to go to the Superbowl this year. It wouldn't surprise me if the coaching staff wasn't real tired of it too, afraid that members of our team were believing the hype with thoughts of only having to show up for games in order to win them.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/11002517

Let someone else be top dog for a while.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQcowboyJR;2300278 said:
I feel like your forced to put washington ahead of us now at the very least.
I think a win over Philly would solidify that argument. The 'boys were their first quality win...and it was still a close one.

As of now, they made a pretty big jump to get to #6. I think last week they were in the teens.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I'd put the Skins and Panthers ahead of us. Maybe Pittsburg. But I could easily make a case for the Boys being where they are.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I know the Commanders beat us, but going from 12 to 4 is a little steep

that's the biggest jump, by a wide margin, any of those top 10 teams make

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
jobberone;2300340 said:
I'd put the Skins and Panthers ahead of us. Maybe Pittsburg. But I could easily make a case for the Boys being where they are.

yeah, it was just one loss

I don't think you could put anyone too high, or drop anyone too low after just 1 win or loss

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2300181 said:
2008 Power Rankings: Week 5 RK (LW)TEAMRECCOMMENT
nyg.gif
1 (2)Giants3-0-0Took the NFC East lead without getting off the couch. With the Seahawks coming in, Giants are staring at 4-0. (MM)

dal.gif
3 (1)Cowboys3-1-0We'll see if the loss to the Commanders is a wake-up call. The good news is Cincinnati, Arizona and St. Louis are next. (MM)

was.gif
6 (15)Commanders3-1-0Beating the Cowboys on their home turf has to count for something. Big game with Philly looms. (MM)
phi.gif
9 (3)Eagles2-2-0Deserve a little grace for playing without Brian Westbrook, L.J. Smith and Shawn Andrews. Can't afford to lose at home to the Commanders. (MM)

That is one bad *** division.