ESPN Scout Matt Williamson 12/14 NFC East Chat Wrap...10 'boys blurbs

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (11:59 AM ET ) MW here. Let's get started on this NFC East chat!

John, NY, NY: Looks like Giants D is staying hot, and winning games like the 80's. Can Eli do just enough to get them to NFC Championship?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:00 PM ET ) I hear ya, but I doubt it. Can't see this team knocking off either GB or Dallas on the road. With their pressure/sack potential, I do believe that NYG can beat anyone, but I really don't trust the passing game in such big games. Don't overlook TBay in round one either.

Hunter (College Station, TX): Cowboys finish the season 18-1, Patriots 18-1. Glenn and A. Henry give them the boost they need to beat the Patriots in the rematch (neither were there for the original meeting).

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:02 PM ET ) Possible and I do think a rematch would be a better game than the first. Ellis wasn't there for the first one either and he is playing great. Still, I would put NE as 7 point favorites or so in the SB against Big D.

Mikey(Bethlaham Park): When do you see Terry Glenn hitting the field for the Dallas Cowboys? How much impact do you think he will have on the offense that is already explosive?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:04 PM ET ) No reason to rush him back at all. Maybe next week he gets a few plays. Build on that. Give him more and more little by little. IF-big if-he returns to being the player he was before the injury, he is a major addition. This guy can play. How about this for a base offensive set: Romo, the OL, Witten, Barber, TO, Crayton and Glenn. Wow.

George(Philly): What are the chances the Eagles are going to trade QB Donovan McNabb?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:06 PM ET ) More and more I think the chances are greater. While they might not admit it, I am sure they will AT LEAST listen to some offers. Pleny of teams could really use him and his price tag might convince Philly to move him. Think Balt, Chi and Minny. All could REALLY use him. A move might be the best move for Philly and McNabb. Change of scenery.

Jon, Boston: In looking at next years draft and knowing the Cowboys have 2 first round picks, do you see them taking a different road in their strategy now that Cleveland may be in the playoffs? Could they trade up to take D.McFadden? Can you see them making a splash in free agency or trading the pick for an experienced player? They defnitely need help at CB, NT, FS and WR.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:09 PM ET ) I agree with you on their needs. Can probably add backup RB to that list as well when JJ signs elsewhere. Going to throw out a crazy scenerio here that we talked quickly about in one of my older chats: Roy Williams (DET) to Dallas for one of their #1s. Roy isn't happy in Det and is from Texas. He is due to be a free agent after next year and would probably walk with zero compensation. Far fetched? Yes. Make some sense though? I think it actually does. Remember-all speculation on my part. I don't see them being able to get in the top couple of picks to nab McFadden-two very late 1st rounders prob isn't enough fire power.

David(Texas): Matt, Who do you think deserves the most credit to the Dallas Cowboys sucess so far this season? Jerry Jones, Bill Parcells, Wade Phillips, Jason Garrett, Tony Romo, Terrell Owens, or Other?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:10 PM ET ) Can't give that to one guy. Garrett is really good at what he does, but players play. Romo if I had to take just one. He is MVP if not for Brady.

Chris, Norman, OK: Who do you see if anybody knocking off the Patriots, and do you think we will see a NE vs Dallas Super Bowl

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:11 PM ET ) Indy could get them, but I give that about a one in three chance of happening. I also think GB has a better than one in three chance of beating Dallas in their rematch.

Jason (Dallas, TX): Explain this to me. How do we need a NT with Ratliff, Tank, and Jason Ferguson coming back next year?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:11 PM ET ) Meant to bring that up-good eye. I agree. NT isn't a need.

John(South Philly): What kind of compensation would you see the Eagles getting in return for McNabb?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:12 PM ET ) If I were Balt or Chi, I wouldn't give up that first rounder, but I would give up the 2nd rounder and maybe a 5th. Fair?

Jason (Seattle, WA): And I still think Seattle would take down Dallas in the playoffs

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:12 PM ET ) Believer in Seattle here, but GB and Dal are superior teams. Running games. Still, Sea is capable of beating anyone.

Patrick (Ocala, FL): What do you take from TO firing back at Meshawn? Not as big of a deal as ESPN made it out to be, right?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:13 PM ET ) I highly doubt it.

Brittany (Indiana): What position do the Giants look for in the draft? Think they take a quarterback at some point (maybe not in the first round)? I know Eli's young, but his shakiness at times has got to make people in NY nervous about the future.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:14 PM ET ) Yes on QB. 3rd round or later though. At least, they need to develop a backup. I don't see HUGE needs elsewhere, but a lot of positions could use a face lift like WR, LT/OL, DT and S.

Jonny B (Arlington, VA): Assuming the G-Men lock up the 5th spot, there is no way they play their starters against NE, especially Eli - don't want to get him to rattled before the playoffs. Agree?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:15 PM ET ) For sure. Matt Cassell vs. Jared Lorenzen? Actually, you know BB won't hesitate to play Brady, etc. NE could win that game by 50. I would rest Plex, Eli, Strahan and maybe Osi. Might rest Plex real soon actually.

Phil (Dallas): I am honestly really excited to watch Eli in the playoffs. I think it will be a disaster.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:17 PM ET ) Eli is obviously a tough nut to crack. Mentally, I don't think he is fragile. That guy is always cool and calm. But, he just cannot be asked to do too much or the wheels fall off. If NYG run into a real good team and can't establish a running game, Eli will press.

Shon (Vegas): What happened to Bobby Carpenter?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:18 PM ET ) Tough D to crack. Who would you sit down for Carpenter? Hasn't proven a thing.

Jimmy (MD): Since we seem to be asking lots of draft related questions... what would be the Skins biggest need going into next year? WR, OLine, Secondary?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:19 PM ET ) All are needs. A true #1 WR could go a long way for this team though in my opinion. Young guy for Campbell to grow up with. A WR with size to help out around the goal line. Tragically, S is now a major need as well. RT. Another young CB. Even interior OL. They are not hurting for needs.

Chris(Atlanta): Whats the word on the Commanders Hall of Fame Head Coach Joe Gibbs? Do you think he will retire or stick this thing out?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:20 PM ET ) He will stick this thing out for the rest of the year! Just see ATL next to your name and figure you think that every coach is just going to walk away and quit on his team. Kidding. I would think that this is his last year-seems to be slipping.

Johnny(Queens): Whats the deal with Jevon Kearse in Philadelphia? Do you think he will end up being traded or cut in the off-season?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:21 PM ET ) No one will trade for him. Cut. Prob sign a cheap deal with someone for a year as a test to see if he perform as a des pass rusher-I sure have my doubts.

Matt (TX): Liked your idea to trade for WR Roy Williams. I'd even sweeten the deal with S Roy Williams.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:22 PM ET ) I am sure you would!

Samer (Austin, TX): What do the eagles need to draft? It seems like they are so close in every game.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:23 PM ET ) WR has to be their biggest need. Get McNabb/Kolb a talented young WR with size. You can't go with what they have. DE makes sense as well. Maybe Brian Dawkins' replacement and another CB.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:23 PM ET ) Also TE if they lose LJ Smith. Big pass catchers.

Joe (NY): Matt did you watch Colts/Patriots on Nov. 4th?? The Colts for 50 minutes were by far the better team and should have been up 30-10 instead of 20-10. Plus I think bad weather favors the Colts because they have a much better running game than the Patriots.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:24 PM ET ) I did watch that game-who ended up winning? I like Indy a LOT. They are an exceptional team, but I can't look at myself in the mirror if I told you that they should be favored walking into Foxboro!

Jordan (NJ): Hey Matt, are you forgetting Eli's performance in the playoffs last year? It's funny how a fan in Dallas is excited to watch an opposing QB play when his so called MVP can't even hold a snap on an extra point.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:25 PM ET ) Cowboy fans, What do you have to say about that?

Shon (Vegas): Should Dallas extend Flozell Adams contract?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:26 PM ET ) That is a tough one, but he has played geat. I think they like Doug Free, but there HAS to be a dropoff there. Guess it depends on what Adams wants. He has to be declining soon, but the SB window doesn't stay open forever and maybe you overpay to get that ring. Still, I wonder what their cap situation is like after dropping a big buck on Romo.

Matt (New York, NY): I give Eli a lot of credit, most people would have caved after the pressure he was under after the Minn game. He bounced back and has lead his team to victoris the following two weeks. To be fair with Eli he is capble of collapsing, but he also has had games where he explodes and takes over late so don't sleep on him.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:27 PM ET ) I totally agree. He can certainly lose a game for you though.

Alap (NJ): A giants fan should in no way compare their #1 pick and 4th season QB to an undrafted 1st full season QB. Cause it is clear cut who is the better qb!

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:27 PM ET ) Now we are getting somewhere.

lance (TX): in a second, he's one of the best Tackle in the NFC

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:28 PM ET ) That is very true. The Franchise Tag still is an option as well. Not married to him then. Should be a Pro Bowler this year.

Vinnie(Texas): What do you think about the year Greg Ellis is having for the Cowboys this season?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:29 PM ET ) Very impressive. I think it helps have Spencer around to keep Ellis fresh and aggressive. Plays the run better than many realize as well. Impact player on that D.

Vin (DC): No Skins talk here..I think they beat the Giants, since they stole in Week 3. Thoughts?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:30 PM ET ) I wrote up that game and predicted NYG to win at home. Collins looked very good last week and really knows that system well, but boy is he going to take some hits! Wash is a tough team to predict, but give me NYG.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:30 PM ET ) Okay everyone, I am out. Will be back at 1:30 for the AFC North.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
good read--man, I believe Spencer is on the verge of having a game where a big play by him is going to be a big factor in the game.....could be this weekend.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
he is wrong about Ellis not playing against the Pats..he did. Saw Wes Welker cook him a few times...hope Wade has a different plan of attack when we face them again.

FCBarca

Reaction score
I say they make the deal of the century, the one time in history where you can deal Roy Williams for...Roy Williams.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
bbailey423;1832898 said:
he is wrong about Ellis not playing against the Pats..he did. Saw Wes Welker cook him a few times...hope Wade has a different plan of attack when we face them again.

Yep, that was the first thing I noticed. I would expect a lot of 5 man pass-rushes by Dallas next time around if it comes to it. Ellis can't cover and Ware would be too valuable rushing the passer to drop into coverage.