ESPN Scout Matt Williamson 12/21 NFC East Chat Wrap... 5 'boys blurbs

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:00 PM ET ) NFC East time-gettyup!

Ryan (Madison, WI): Banner's guarantee that McNabb will be back: posturing or genuine?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:01 PM ET ) It should be genuine, but I certainly have my doubts. Gotta think that Philly at least listens to offers-could start a bidding war with Chi/Balt/Minny...

Matt, Chicago: Hey Matt, help me with a cowboys question! What positions of need should Dallas look at coming up in this year's draft with four picks in the first three rounds?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:02 PM ET ) I think they need to find a young WR for the future, a backup RB when JJones leaves, maybe a LT if Adams leaves-although they like Free. CB is prob #1 though to me. First rounder to come in as the nickel and eventually push for a starting spot. Maybe S as well
-Hamlin is a UFA. Obvioulsy much depends on how free agency treats them.

MJ, Ohio: Happy Holidays, Matt. What are your impressions of Jason Garrett? Is a head coaching position in his near future?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:02 PM ET ) No question. Extremly bright. Well liked and personable. For sure.

alan (orlando): I know Eli hasn't exactly been lighting it up as of late, but i really do like thier chances in the wild-card round if they play Tampa. Warm Climate, away from NYC, and if they can get thier two safeties back the D will be in good shape. What do you think?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:03 PM ET ) I certainly like their chances in TBay more than in Sea. I would still take the Bucs, but yes, I am with you here. DEs would wreak some havoc. TBay isn't real frightening.

Majeed: M-Dub, How about a trade of McNabb to Miami for JT?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:04 PM ET ) Hmmm...interesting! Would the Tuna go for it? Will prob build with D in Miami.

Matt, Chicago: Hey Matt, Do you think cowboy fans have anything to worry about with Dallas locking up home field? Carolina and Washington on the road coming up....

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:05 PM ET ) Not really. They should be in very good shape.

Greg (Milwaukee): I'm confused. If people are saying McNabb is no good and Philly should get rid of him, then WHY would other teams want him if he's past his prime? He has more talent in Philly than there is in Chicago, Balitmore or Minnesota.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:06 PM ET ) We ranked all the QBs in the league and I think I put McNabb 8th-and this is about as bad as he can play this year. I blame the knee and his recievers more than him-and he should be better next year. Still may have a few Pro Bowls in him. HUGE upgrade for those three teams.

Ryan (Madison, WI): Will the Commanders try to upgrade their O-Line through free agency, the draft, or both?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:07 PM ET ) They are not bashful about spending some bucks in free agency! Was has quite a few needs though-hard to say how they will attack them all. A true RT would sure help though.

MJ, Ohio: Hey Matt. Do you think Brandon Jacobs will have the type of career that is injury plagued, or will he be able to stay relatively healthy?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:08 PM ET ) VERY injury plagued. Begs to be a major injury risk. Isn't real nifty. Iniciates comtact-as he should. Runs so upright. Doesn't catch the ball well, so gets his touches in tight quarters.

Xander (Philly): The Eagles have to be looking for a receiver in the off season right? They get no separation, leaving McNabb in a terrible situation.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:09 PM ET ) Agreed. Someone with size as well. Their red zone problems have been major this year and they could use a big pass catcher in tight in a big way.

Steffen, (Copenhagen, Denmark): Dallas against Green Bay, who wins next time?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:10 PM ET ) Tough call of course, but leaning towards GB. Didn't have Woodson and KJB in the first meeting-big losses. Also, Favre could not have played worse. Real tough call here though.

mike (az): does this late collapse, dispite the high propability the giants will still make the playoffs, but does this raise the temp on coughlins hot seat again? If so is it conceivable 3 coaches from this division will be replaced, reid and coughlin fired, Gibbs retiring/stepping down.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:11 PM ET ) Reid should be safe...yeah, things are heating back up for Coughlin.

Jon (Norman, OK): Is Malcolm Kelly a first round lock?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:11 PM ET ) I sure think so. Maybe 12th to 18th range.

Steffen, (Copenhagen, Denmark): Who will emerge as the no. 2 WR in NY next season?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:12 PM ET ) They sure need someone to step up. I will go with Steve Smith. He has shown flashes of being a good player when healthy.

Aaron (Richmond, VA): Don't the Commanders have "A true right tackle" in Jon Jansen. By all accounts he should be back and ready to go next year.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:13 PM ET ) Wow-I had a brain freeze here. Very unlike me to forget someone like that. I stand VERY corrected. Yeah, if/when they go OL, it will be on the interior.

mike (az): i think reid needs to go. its not that he is a terrible coach and shouldnt get another shot, its just time to start fresh there with qb and coach

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:14 PM ET ) Think about how many tight games Philly lost this year and how they played against NE and Dallas-they are not that far away at all. I picked Philly to win the NFC this year (preseason). They have a lot to build on. Don't blow it up.

ben plattsburgh: why havent the giants tried moss in the punt game? or ross? I seriously think mcquarters is going to fumble everytime he touches the ball

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:14 PM ET ) Seems odd to me as well.

Keith (Boston): Lots of talk about McNabb getting traded, but I am curious, how much more time does Eli get to prove he can get it done? I think he is a mediocre QB at best.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:15 PM ET ) Very mediocre right now. Still upside there though. If I were in charge of NYG, I would draft a QB in the 3rd round or so. At a minimum, they need to develop a backup there.

Joe (Norton, MA): Idk... maybe I havent seen enough of them but I was at the NE-Philly game and watched them vs Dallas. I don't think the window has closed on that team yet... Westbrook=absolute stud... but they probably should move on without McNabb who has had a tough time staying on the field... Would you agree?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:16 PM ET ) Agree with everything except moving on without McNabb. Get him some weapons!

Keith (Boston): You don't think the hefty lefty is a viable back up in NYG?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:16 PM ET ) Not a believer in the Round Mound of Touchdown.

mike (philly): well first off, mcnabb should be traded. a.j feeley is young and we drafted kolb. Mcnabb for Hester???? and what is up with kitna throwing so many picks? thanks matt

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:18 PM ET ) I would want more for McNabb than just Hester. Kitna always turns the ball over a lot...plus, they throw like every down!

Marc (Malden, MA): I would just like to say that I am more than willing to take the risk that dating Jessica Simpson lowers my productivity at work.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:19 PM ET ) No question about it! Is that why he became a QB in the first place? She can come over and watch tape with me anytime.

Ryan (Madison, WI): How much more time does Jason Campbell get to become a star? I really like the guy, but he's still inconsistent with his accuracy and decision-making.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:20 PM ET ) He is, but I am a believer as well. Could be a VERY different QB at this time next season. Patence. How many games has he started? Under 20 I would guess.

Ryan (Vegas): Matt, Everyone is on the Vikings bandwagon for the game Sunday night! With the way Jackson played last week, you gotta think the Commanders have a GREAT shot at winning this Sunday! Agree?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:21 PM ET ) Minny is overrated. Everyone is all worried about them, but they simply cannot throw the ball. They also don't defend the pass well. I see this as a very evenly matched game however. Give me the Skins in a tight one.

mike (philly): that is true, but the Eagles have pathetic returners. buckhalter and reno mahe are not even worth watching tv during kickoffs and punts.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:22 PM ET ) I don't disagree with that one bit, but you can draft a top flight returner in the 4th round-granted, he wouldn't be Hester of course, but you can get a true return man that only does that pretty cheap on DDay.

Ryan (Vegas): That's what i'm talking about!!!!!

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:23 PM ET ) Happy Holidays Bro! Was real torn on that prediction, but I am hosting an NFC East chat here...

Ryan (Madison, WI): My concern for the Commanders against the Vikings is that Portis isn't going to have any room to run against that Purple D. Can Collins and the D carry them? AD could easily go for 200.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:23 PM ET ) That is the big question. Peterson/Taylor vs. Collins/Cooley/etc....

Marc (Malden, MA): The actually think the wildcards will be Washington and New Orleans. I don't think the Giants can beat Buffalo.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:24 PM ET ) I like Buffalo this week as well. Wrote that game up for Scouts, Inc and expect a tight run-oriented battle in the elements. Buff plays very hard and are better on ST-which could be key.

Luis (SB, CA): Matt, what do you think of Terrence Newman making the pro-bowl? Long time coming huh?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:25 PM ET ) Missed some time, but he is a great player. No question.

Larry (New York): Matt, you ripped the Skins for having the worst depth in the NFL...they've had more devastating injuries then any team in the NFL yet are still in a position to make the playoffs...give the front office credit for once

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:26 PM ET ) Yeah, they do deserve it. Playing with some real suspect guys right now with all the injuries. Still getting it done....kinda. They have exceeded my expectations, but they are not going anywhere this year.

Mike (San Diego): M-Dub, I think this "trade McNabb" stuff is absolutely ridiculous. If we've learned one thing this season, it's that QBs are hard to find, and generally stink. If McNabb had one weapon at WR, we would be in the playoffs this year. Ridiculous, and it's killing me.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:26 PM ET ) Smart man

George (State College, PA): Who do you think had a bigger affect on the Packers loss to the Cowboys- Woodson or KGB being out? Do you think they can win a rematch?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:27 PM ET ) Woodson-had to change their coverage schemes. VERY good player.

Dylan (Brooklyn, NY): When will NYG be a superbowl bound team

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:27 PM ET ) Not this year. Lets talk after the offseason moves.

Ryan (Vegas): Matt, Do you think Portis should have made the pro bowl?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:28 PM ET ) No. The NFC RBs were a VERY weak class outside of Westbrook and Peterson. I thought Barber was the best choice, but Portis and James were both real suspect and didn't deserve it.

Sola (Philly): Perhaps we should really be blaming the owners in Philly! Will they ever again open the purse strings to get some real weapons? TO is the only real weapon they ever had, and it was there best season!

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:29 PM ET ) That makes more sense than killing McNabb. Get him a WR! Plus, LJ Smith is a free agent after the year.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:30 PM ET ) Okay everyone, I gotta roll. It was fun. Enjoy your holidays.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Yeah, that makes sense considering we went after and beat Al Harris all night long. :rolleyes:

Deion himself could've been on the other side and it wouldn't have mattered that night.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
So if we had Terry Glenn, would we have beat the Patriots?

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
tyke1doe;1848264 said:
So if we had Terry Glenn, would we have beat the Patriots?
it's pretty funny that our injuries never get mentioned.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
FloridaLandryFan30;1848322 said:
How often does the 4th receiver threat get mentioned as a serious injury for the team?
:confused: what? terry glenn when healthy is our #2 reciever, jason ferguson was our starting nose tackle. just to name few

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
FloridaLandryFan30;1848342 said:
no way does he catch more passes than witten this year if healthy.
your probably right. but i bet he catches more tds. terry will/would be our #3 recieving threat at the least.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FloridaLandryFan30;1848342 said:
no way does he catch more passes than witten this year if healthy.
I think you have that backward. Witten numbers might go up a bit this year being that this is a different offense, but Glenn's certainly wouldn't go down just because Witten's would go up. The person taking the most hit would be Crayton.

It seems we forget how good Glenn has been for this team. Didn't do much for this year, but if he'd been healthy, this offense would be virtually unstoppable.

CoCo

Reaction score
Lets also not be lulled into thinking # catches, yards and TD's is the barometer for all receivers in all situations.

Craytons numbers could very well go up with Glenn in the lineup if the D would rather risk the underneath vs over the top.

Witten and TO have each had monster games while the other was relatively quiet. To some degree that is the defense deciding which they want to take away.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Steffen, (Copenhagen, Denmark): Dallas against Green Bay, who wins next time?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:10 PM ET ) Tough call of course, but leaning towards GB. Didn't have Woodson and KJB in the first meeting-big losses. Also, Favre could not have played worse. Real tough call here though.
And Dallas had all their starters healthy, right?

I suppose Dallas Defense had nothing to do with Favre's bad plays.

Favre had a horrible day because of Dallas' defense, idiot.

apickmans

Reaction score
Rampage;1848312 said:
it's pretty funny that our injuries never get mentioned.

Youve gone all season w/o glenn and ferguson. GB lost those players leading up to game against you guys. Quite different dont ya think?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Did two injured guys on defense have anything to do with Favre's career-low QB rating in that game?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CoCo;1848371 said:
Lets also not be lulled into thinking # catches, yards and TD's is the barometer for all receivers in all situations.

Craytons numbers could very well go up with Glenn in the lineup if the D would rather risk the underneath vs over the top.

Witten and TO have each had monster games while the other was relatively quiet. To some degree that is the defense deciding which they want to take away.
Numbers never tell the whole story, but it's a pretty good guideline to go by.

Crayton's numbers may very well go up over last year, but I still don't know that they would equate to what Glenn was able to produce. Not knocking Crayton, because I feel he's done a solid job this year.

But just based on how the numbers alone have been distributed without Glenn, Crayton just moved up from #4 to #3, Witten went from #3 to #2. Whereas if Crayton could have duplicated Glenn's numbers from last year, he should've been #2. Logic may be considered flawed, but that's how I look at it.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
apickmans;1848373 said:
Youve gone all season w/o glenn and ferguson. GB lost those players leading up to game against you guys. Quite different dont ya think?
exactly! we've been missing 2 starters all year and haven't played the injury card. they lost one starting cb and a 3rd down pass rusher for a week and they played the injury card.

Reaction score
Woodson would be toast too, it doesn't matter... I hope Dallas goes after another CB in the draft and for heavens sake get a WR to go opposite T.O.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
George (State College, PA): Who do you think had a bigger affect on the Packers loss to the Cowboys- Woodson or KGB being out? Do you think they can win a rematch?

sn2.gif
YoMick: (3:50 PM ET ) The Dallas Cowboys.

JPM

Reaction score
apickmans;1848373 said:
Yeah, we have had to overcome those injuries all year long while they missed KGB and Woodson for what 1 game ?
att, Chicago: Hey Matt, help me with a cowboys question! What positions of need should Dallas look at coming up in this year's draft with four picks in the first three rounds?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:02 PM ET ) I think they need to find a young WR for the future, a backup RB when JJones leaves, maybe a LT if Adams leaves-although they like Free. CB is prob #1 though to me. First rounder to come in as the nickel and eventually push for a starting spot. Maybe S as well
-Hamlin is a UFA. Obvioulsy much depends on how free agency treats them.
Oh, how I hope this guy will be wearing a star next year.
cason.jpg

aikemirv

Reaction score
apickmans;1848373 said:

I got 1 for ya. Ferguson comes in on 3rd and 1 to rest Ratliff and Ryan Grant maybe does not run for 60 yards. Does not really matter when you lost them, just that they were not there for the game.

If you are going to say that when TO beats Al Harris multiple times that Woodson may have somehow stopped that then that is a bigger if than my scenario above.

And really, who has manhandled Flo all year KGB or not?

apickmans

Reaction score
my point being is that your players and coaches have gotten used to not playing with Glenn and Ferguson, while GB played you guys w/o 2 of their better defensive players with only a few days to practice. I'm not saying you guys dont miss them, heck maybe you guys are better w/o them. Who knows. I'm not talking about other games just that GB game.