ESPN Scouts: Barber and Romo should have big games

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
4. Who will have a huge game this week?

Green: I'm going with QB Peyton Manning. I know the Colts have struggled to match up against the Chargers in the past, but that has mostly been due to the troubles Indianapolis' offensive line had in protection against the 3-4 defense. San Diego hasn't been creating much pressure, and the result has been a league-worst 267.0 passing yards allowed per game. Manning and the Colts' passing game is starting to click, and the offensive line is healthy and back playing at a high level. Expect a huge game from Manning on Sunday night as the Colts continue their surge toward the playoffs.

Horton: I really like Marion Barber this week against an overmatched San Francisco 49ers defense. The Cowboys learned last week that their offense, loaded with flash and marquee names, is at its best when Barber is allowed to wear down defenses. He is considered a between-the-tackles power runner, but Barber also is very effective on the edges and has very underrated pass-catching ability. With Dallas likely to take an early lead, Barber -- the best finisher in the game -- should stay busy and wear out the 49ers in the second half.

Kidd: I'm going with QB Aaron Rodgers against the Saints' pass defense. With RB Ryan Grant and the Packers' running game starting to crank up and the offensive line jelling in protection, Green Bay should get a chance to exploit plenty of mismatches against New Orleans' depleted secondary. Packers coach Mike McCarthy excels at creating formation designs that attack opponents' back-end weaknesses. WRs Greg Jennings, Donald Driver and Jordy Nelson, TE Donald Lee and sub-package RB Brandon Jackson should create a lot of problems for the Saints on Monday.

Kretz: Chicago Bears RB Matt Forte probably will wind up getting a lot of touches against the St. Louis Rams this week. In a dome environment, visiting teams tend to run more frequently than normal in an attempt to neutralize the crowd noise. The Rams have the league's fourth-worst run defense (158.4 yards allowed per game), so the Bears are apt to avoid the inconsistencies in their passing game and let Forte carry the load.

Moll: I expect the Steelers' Parker to have a big day against a marginal Bengals defense. Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin likely will want to pound the ball with a physical ground attack to set the tone, and Cincinnati (131.1 rushing yards allowed per game) is in a poor position to do anything about it. Parker is healthy again and coming off a productive performance, while the Bengals' defense is banged up and missing one of their best young defenders (LB Keith Rivers). The Bengals have missed a lot of tackles this season, and Parker is capable of gashing any defense that doesn't get him to the ground before he reaches the second level.

Ribary: Manning could have a big game against San Diego. The Chargers are last in the league in passing yards allowed, and Manning and his teammates in the passing game continue to play better and better. Indianapolis' offensive line is holding up better in protection in recent weeks, and WRs Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison and Anthony Gonzalez, TE Dallas Clark and RB Joseph Addai ensure that the Colts won't have any shortage of playmakers.

Williamson: Tony Romo. I respect the job Mike Singletary is doing to get the 49ers to play harder and with conviction, but their secondary is in for a long day in Dallas this week. Romo's injured right pinkie finger still is an issue, but the Cowboys' offense is ready to erupt at any time. There are just too many weapons in the lineup for opposing defenses to keep under wraps. Dallas is on the rise.

Scouts Inc. watches games, breaks down film and studies football from all angles for ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3715338

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Now, there's a guy that knows what he's talking about. Put him on t.v.

The Dallas Cowboys are going to open up a can on S.F.

#24 Get on his back, baby. Try and stop him!

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I am very nervous about these two games this week.

I watched the niners rams game today.

The niners were moving the ball easily, but then got stopped in the redzone and right outside it. They missed a fg early.

The niners have the secondary to me it seems to be good, their front 7 just is not very good. On third downs they use that joker set up where 5 or 6 guys will be standing around before the snap, like buffalo last year. they do have willis, spikes and lawson though. SO if our line and qb are not on the same page they may give up a few sacks.

Clements, harris, clark and lewis seems like a good secondary to me. I would think they would put clements on owens and double him with lewis.

The rams made a bunch of mistakes and missed tackles on defense and the rams put up a bunch of points really quickly. Rossum had two good returns early, the niners got a huge P.I. and bulger lost a fumble at his own 15.

One thing I did notice from that 1 game, bryant johnson can turn a quick short pass into a big play and the niners like to play 3 wide with a te and no fullback. They run out of this alot. That makes me worry if we are in a light corner heavy look that they will pop gore in the middle. He breaks lots of tackles.

I think this will be a close game and the same thing for thursday. I do wonder if hassleback can hold up and play two games in 5 days though.

But the niners definitely have me worried.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
theebs;2433951 said:

The niners were moving the ball easily, but then got stopped in the redzone and right outside it. They missed a fg early.

The niners have the secondary to me it seems to be good, their front 7 just is not very good. On third downs they use that joker set up where 5 or 6 guys will be standing around before the snap, like buffalo last year. they do have willis, spikes and lawson though. SO if our line and qb are not on the same page they may give up a few sacks.

Clements, harris, clark and lewis seems like a good secondary to me. I would think they would put clements on owens and double him with lewis.

The rams made a bunch of mistakes and missed tackles on defense and the rams put up a bunch of points really quickly. Rossum had two good returns early, the niners got a huge P.I. and bulger lost a fumble at his own 15.

One thing I did notice from that 1 game, bryant johnson can turn a quick short pass into a big play and the niners like to play 3 wide with a te and no fullback. They run out of this alot. That makes me worry if we are in a light corner heavy look that they will pop gore in the middle. He breaks lots of tackles.

I think this will be a close game and the same thing for thursday. I do wonder if hassleback can hold up and play two games in 5 days though.

It was the Rams, dude.

Oh wait...Dallas lost to the Rams, dude.:D

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2433959 said:
It was the Rams, dude.

Oh wait...Dallas lost to the Rams, dude.:D

yes I understand.

but the team can produce big runs out of a spread offense, where they move vernon davis around alot.

They throw the ball on short drops.

Davis has a TD in each of the last 2 games and looks like a tough matchup for us.

and Mike Martz has made our defense look pretty poor two years in a row.

Rascal07

Reaction score
they were talking about the 49ers today and how Nate Clements is having a great yr, its just that hes overlooked on a shaky Niners D.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
theebs;2433962 said:
yes I understand.

but the team can produce big runs out of a spread offense, where they move vernon davis around alot.

They throw the ball on short drops.

Davis has a TD in each of the last 2 games and looks like a tough matchup for us.

and Mike Martz has made our defense look pretty poor two years in a row.

On a more substantive note: I was perusing the box score of that game, and it seemed to indicate the Rams moved the ball fairly well. They put up 400 yards of offense, and Bulger had almost 300 yards passing. Perhaps we can have similar success...with many more points, of course.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2433908 said:
Williamson: Tony Romo. I respect the job Mike Singletary is doing to get the 49ers to play harder and with conviction, but their secondary is in for a long day in Dallas this week. Romo's injured right pinkie finger still is an issue, but the Cowboys' offense is ready to erupt at any time. There are just too many weapons in the lineup for opposing defenses to keep under wraps. Dallas is on the rise.

Wow, what 1 win can make some media members say..

2 weeks ago, we weren't going to win another game this year & one of the worst in the league. :rolleyes:

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
The niners to me seem to be on the verge of becoming a good team. I think that Romo has a huge day.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
theebs;2433951 said:

That is a good post, theebs. Special Teams is my main concern. I saw your post on that fast dude, and I saw that return he had on Monday Night Football.

I just read about Newman. That is frustrating, and you know he feels it, too. If he can't go. Mike Jenkins can do it. They need to let him play press man and use his long arms and jam guys at the line. I just hope Henry doesn't get hurt. Man, the Cowboys need # 41 really bad, but they can't risk really hurting him bad. He's too important. I hope it is just a slight pull, and I hope he can play against the Seahawks. However, I hope he can play against S.F. but I wouldn't do it if I thought it could really hurt him.

The forecast for Thanksgiving is rain in Dallas. If he can play this week, he may be better off not playing on Thanksgiving.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2433908 said:
Barber is considered a between-the-tackles power runner, but Barber also is very effective on the edges and has very underrated pass-catching ability.
Is it just me, or is it actually fun to watch experts slowly figure out how good Barber is?

MrKennedyKennedy

Reaction score
Considering how Kurt Warner torched the 49ers on Monday night two weeks ago, I feel VERY confident in how Romo will do against the 49ers.

Every great Cowboy QB has beaten the Niners once- Meredith, Morton, Staubach, Aikman, and now it'll be Romo's turn.

yimyammer

Reaction score
theebs;2433951 said:

I'm with you Theebs, I do not fully trust our Boys after one win, especially with all the injuries that occurred this week and the typical level of distractions. They still need to prove they can play at a high level from week to week and until they do, I'm going to be nervous.

The Niners have nothing to lose I expect them to play like it, fired up, flying around the ball and looking to knock us in the mouth. Plus, don't you know Singletary is chomping at the bit to get a win against their hated rivals? A win here would go a long way toward helping him get that coaching job he covets.

Unless we are fortunate enough to jump on them early, I expect a tough game for four quarters and I wouldn't be surprised to see some trickery like an onside kick.

I hope the Boys maintain their intensity and emotion and aren't believing all the love they are suddenly getting from the pundits.

We need the rooks and the O & D lines to step up big time the rest of the year.