ESPN Scouts Inc. NFC East/NFC North Chat Wraps...'7 boys blurbs

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
***NFC EAST***

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:01 PM ET ) Matt Williamson here. Let's get started on the NFC East!

SprungOnSports (Long Island): Matt, what will be the keys in the Dallas-Chicago game?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:03 PM ET ) Great question and wrote that game up for our Scouts, Inc. preveiws. I think Benson will be good, not great, in this game...especially between the tackles. Dallas' O will get theirs, but the Bears' D matches up well against them. Rex is obviously the X factor. He MUST value the ball and not turn it over. I picked Dallas to win because I don't trust Rex one bit, but it is going to be tight. Real tight.

Rup (Fairfax, VA): What do you think about the Skins chances aganist the Giants considering the track record over the last 2 years where the Skins come off a big win and choke aganis the Giants?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:04 PM ET ) They will blow them out. Skins win big. The wheels are officially off the Giants' wagon.

john, DC: matty, how do you think chris cooley will do against the giants d this week?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:04 PM ET ) Real well. He is an excellent player and Campbell really looks to him. If he gets matched against Kiwi-wow, Cooley will destroy that guy in coverage.

Kelvin (Dayton): How do you see the NFC East standings shaking out with Philly looking so poor?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:06 PM ET ) As a few of you probably know, I picked Philly to win the East and represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. Wow-that doesn't look so great right now though! Still, I am not ready to discount them completely. All these teams have holes, but NYG is clearly the worst team in the division. Three horse race and Philly better enter the race quickly. The Skins look very solid and I think all three teams will eventually compete for a playoff spot. Gotta pick Big D with a gun to my head today though.

Aaron (Chapel Hill, NC): Matt, it does seem that winning cures all ills, as the Commanders now seem to be getting people's attention, but I'm still cautious. I want to believe that Gibbs has righted the ship, but we've had a rough go for the past decade or so, minus 2 years ago. Your thoughts?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:08 PM ET ) Yeah, they look much better. They finally have a QB. Campbell is going to be good. Very good. For now, he is simply an improvement. The thing that I keep coming back to with Washington is their overall depth. They already have two major OL injuries and it looks like they have been able to put a band-aid over those wounds, but this team cannot afford to take many more hits with injuries. Still, they have been pretty impressive.

Majeed: M-Dub, If McTurd has another bad game, will there be a Kevin Kolb sighting in the near future?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:09 PM ET ) Whew. That is steep. But McNabb sure seems like he could be Culpepper-esque this year. But is Kolb even ready yet? Doubtful. Gotta stick with McNabb unless he really just showed that the knee is making him ineffective.

Jake (Ft. Collins): How will Santana Moss do this week?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:10 PM ET ) Much like Cooley, he will blow up. Moss has just missed a couple of big plays this year. They will come.

Bobby (Dallas): What's likely to happen? Dallas and Washington starting 3-0 and NOT making playoffs, or Phill starting 0-3 and making the playoffs?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:11 PM ET ) None of the above, but I guess Philly. If McNabb finally gets back to where he can be, then...

Aaron (Chapel Hill, NC): As a follow-up on the O-line injuries, how long is Thomas supposed to be out? I'm no doctor, but a torn tricep cannot be good.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:12 PM ET ) I thought it was a season ender. Maybe I am wrong on that, but I gotta think that he is done. Any of you Skins' fans know for sure? Pretty sure it is over.

AB (CT): What will end up being the best defense in the division?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:13 PM ET ) Wash. I would have said Dallas before the season, but really think the Ferguson loss is substantial. Also, if Newman and/or Ellis are never 100%, that really makes it tough for their defensive play calling. Washington's back 7 is really tough.

Jimmy (Springer nm): Do the cowboys have a chance of running the table in the east

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:14 PM ET ) I really don't think so. Winning in Philly and Wash is not an easy task.

Kevin (Manassas): Thomas will be in a cast for six weeks, and could miss 10-12 weeks. They are going to re-evaluate soon, and determine if they need to put him on IR, or if there is a chance he can come back late in the season.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:15 PM ET ) Nice work Kev. When I saw it happen, I just assumed that he was done, but then when asked about it now, I realized that I never saw that he went on IR. They did sign DeMulling, who isn't good, but at least has starting experience.

Majeed: M-Dub, My team is playing JG's this week so wish me luck man!

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:15 PM ET ) Tear him up bud

Bobby (Dallas): Assuming Tank Johnson proves everyone wrong and behaves, will he really have a big impact on playing 3-4 for Big D? I feel Jay Ratliff will do better than Jason Ferguson anyways.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:16 PM ET ) Ratliff is a good player, but I don't know that he can handle the long term wear and tear as a starting NT. Not an easy position on the body! I like the Tank signing for them. What do they have to lose? He isn't an ideal 3-4 guy, but Dallas' version of the 3-4 is more penetrating than 2-gapping. Also, Tank can come in on throwing downs and help as an interior pass rusher, which is a nice option for Dallas.

Jason (NJ): How many games do you think the Giants will win this season? And is there anyone in the 08 draft that could be an immediate impact palyer for them?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:17 PM ET ) 4 at most. How about Glenn Dorsey? DT from LSU. Bad man.

Jason, Charlotte: As a Skins fan, it is so nice to see them winning, even if it is not so pretty! Do you see this team continuing to get better on both sides of the ball?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:19 PM ET ) Pretty much. S Moss will make many more big plays than he has. Campbell will only get better. That secondary (esp Safeties) will get better and better.

Jimmy (Springer nm): How long will Julius Jones be starting Barber keeps putting up the numbers he is and since it is his contract year will jones be back

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:20 PM ET ) Doubt Jones comes back. Could see Dallas drafting a guy though pretty early next year. Barber is the better player, but both backs benefit from having the other guy there as well. Still, Barber should be getting about 2/3 of the carries in my opinion.

Kelvin (Dayton): What would it take for McNabb to make the Hall of Fame?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:21 PM ET ) More years doing what he has done for most of his career. When healthy, I would only put Palmer, Brady and Manning above him. He is a superstar. Winning a SB would obviously help though.

Shon (Vegas): Dallas and Chicago, how do you see the battle at the line playing out?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:22 PM ET ) Dallas' OL is pretty impressive, but I think they will have their hands full, especially with Tommie Harris. On the other side, I give the Bears the slight edge as well. Barely though. Ware could be a real issue in pass pro.

Snrufer (Quad City): When will Jason Avant be starting and either Kevin Curtis or Reggie Brown be benched??

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:23 PM ET ) Too early to bench either Curtis or Brown, but they haven't helped their QB one bit. Still, I am not sold that Avant is an upgrade.

John(Manhatten): Do you think Sean Taylor and Laron Landry will be more feared for their hard hitting or their playmaking abilities?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:23 PM ET ) Both. Those two are bad bad men. I guess their striking ability. Killers.

Jeffy D (Feeding Hills MA): Did the HBO interview help, hurt, or have no impact upon McNabb's locker room following?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:24 PM ET ) Probably no impact. The guys in the locker room know whats up and honestly, I don't think McNabb said anything that everyone doesn't already know to some point.

Sam (kansas): Where do you rank Terrance Newman as a Def back in the NFL? Top 2?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:25 PM ET ) He is one of the best CBs in the league for sure....if healthy, which he might not be for a long time. Champ #1. There are a few other CBs who I would still take over Newman, but not many. NEWMAN!

Dan (Boston, Ma): You mentioned tommie harris...is he the best DT in football right now? last year favre said he was unblockable and was as good as a young warren sapp. Then he got injured and everyone forgot about him. But do you think he is the best player on that D?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:27 PM ET ) Absolutely. He is the best player on that team. Urlacher is great, but Harris is far more important. Rare ability. He can't two gap like the real big boys (J Williams, Hampton, etc), but if your D wants an upfield guy-Harris stands alone. He looks better than ever and did a long bit on how he could completley dominate this game on Sunday in my game breakdown.

Adam (OH): Do you see Brian Westbrook playing this week and if not will that hurt Philly's shot at winning or will McNabb carry the load?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:28 PM ET ) That O REALLY needs Westbrook. Differnece maker for sure. Can the win without him? Yes, but their chances go up a ton with him in the lineup. Key to the O.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: (12:29 PM ET ) Folks, I gotta run. Take it easy on the next guy, okay? It was fun. I will be back for the AFC North at 1:30. See ya then.

***NFC NORTH***

sn2.gif
Ken Moll: (1:02 PM ET ) Fella's, What a wild weekend last Sunday- All those deep balls being completed ! Let's talk some ball.

Mr Cool Dawg: What do think the key for Detriot to win against Philly and do you think Kitnas 10 game win i spossible

sn2.gif
Ken Moll: (1:04 PM ET ) Cool Dawg, I can see the Lions winning in Philly but still not getting to 10 wins. But it's Possible ????

Adam (OH): Kenny, do Brett Favre and the Packers make a run at the Super Bowl in what "could" be Favres final season?

sn2.gif
Ken Moll: (1:05 PM ET ) Adam, I don't see this happening with the lack of a ground attack. Things could go south for the Pack starting with this Sunday.

Zac (MN): Hey Ken, what were the Vikings thinking not picking up a veteran QB and let Jackson sit on the bench and learn and develop for at least another year(similar to what the Titans did with McNair? Do you think Jackson's struggles will hurt his development in the long run?

sn2.gif
Ken Moll: (1:07 PM ET ) Zac, The best thing for Travaris is to sit most of this season and let Kelly Holcomb take the helm with a very good defense and a solid ground game. Kelly is their best chance to win in 2007

egami (iowa): Which team most likely challenges the Bears in this division?

sn2.gif
Ken Moll: (1:08 PM ET ) Egami, Al of them . The Lions have an excellent offense. The Vikings have a very good defense with a solid ground game and the Pack could get on a run. Might be the most improved division in the league.

Liam (Houston): Where do you put Favre in the all time best QBs? I say behind Elway & Montana, but ahead of Marino.

sn2.gif
Ken Moll: (1:10 PM ET ) Favre is outstanding as he has won more games than any other at his position without many pro bowlers at his side. This can be argued for ever but he has to be top five - ? him being ranked the best-

kc south haven mi: so what do you think about the lions defence in looking at the eagles offence and a guess on the score for thegame

sn2.gif
Ken Moll: (1:12 PM ET ) This is the Eagles only chance this weekend , to outscore the Lions as Martz will put up some points on a banged up Philly secondary. 28- 24 (Lions on top)

Worried (Chicago, IL): Ken- Two Bears questions here: First, when do teams stop kicking to Hester and do you think no matter what some will just be too stubborn not to? Second, I thought Rex was supposed to be on a tighter leash this year...at what point do the Bears give Griese the reins? The easy answer is "when they lose more games", but is that all it comes down to?

sn2.gif
Ken Moll: (1:13 PM ET ) Worried, Yes some will be to "Manly" to not kick to Hester and Rex will sit with one or two more poor performances.

shavon (el segundo ca): hey ken, i have the D for the vikes this weekend and i am somewhat worried that LJ wants that damn ball 40+ times. how do u think this will play out? appreciate your analysys.

sn2.gif
Ken Moll: (1:15 PM ET ) Shavon,
I believe the Vikings defense will be up to the task. LJ is very good but the KC O-Line is a shell of it's former self. This should be a very low scoring affair.

Mr Cool Dawg (Det): Ken,Detroit defence seems to be better than last year,do you think there secondary will hold up to the good wideouts they play against?

sn2.gif
Ken Moll: (1:17 PM ET ) Mr. Cool Dawg- They can hold up only if the front four can gett some pressure on the QB. Dewayne White has a chance to have a big weekend off the edge

Matt (PA): What chances do you give the Packers pulling out a win over San Diego this weekend, especially with a struggling run game?

sn2.gif
Ken Moll: (1:18 PM ET ) Matt, I would take the Chargers this wek end but with the Packers defense playing so well they have a chance. The Problem is the lack of a running game and some banged up receivers for Brett to throw to.

Brett, Jacksonville: If you were to guess if Brett is coming back or not, what woulf you say? And if you think he will, what will take to get him back?

sn2.gif
Ken Moll: (1:19 PM ET ) Brett, I wouldn't think he will be back but I have been wrong once before in the late 80's -

Ross (IL): Whats wrong with GBs ground game, and what do you think of their rookie backs?

sn2.gif
Ken Moll: (1:20 PM ET ) They need Morency back in the line up and the loss of Ahman Green is underestimated. The O-L is very average. The Jury is still out on Brandon Jackson-

Mr Cool Dawg (Monroe Mi ): Ken Do you think kevin Jones is going to be affective this year

sn2.gif
Ken Moll: (1:22 PM ET ) Cool Dawg, The Lions need him back but I don't see him helping to th second half of the season- He's missed too much time-

Andy (Tampa): After 2 weeks how would you rate the Bears decision to let Thomas Jones go? I thought it was a bad move then and I still think so.

sn2.gif
Ken Moll: (1:23 PM ET ) Andy, I evaluated both Jones and Benson and thought it would be a big loss . It's always good to have an effective one - two punch in this division and they lost the one (punch) and kept the two.

Peter (Chicago): Do you see the NFC North Champ making it to the NFC Championship, to the Super Bowl, winning it all...or what?

sn2.gif
Ken Moll: (1:24 PM ET ) Peter, I do believe that the Bears will win the division but I don't see them going far in the post season (maybe one win)-

Matt (PA): Even upon Morency's return, what do you expect out of him because he has never been the premiere back for a team?

sn2.gif
Ken Moll: (1:26 PM ET ) Matt,
He hasn't been but he is the best Back on the Packers roster this season and he does have ability. It's the Line more than the Backs-

sean (va): Do you think olsen will make a big impact even with a shaky qb? If rex gets bench, then they should trade me. u don't ext. a 2nd string qb that is not reliable

sn2.gif
Ken Moll: (1:27 PM ET ) Sean, When Olsen is healthy he is an impact player and maybe Rex's best option. Yes he is a difference maker with which ever QB is in the game.

Mr Cool Dawg ( Monroe ): Ken,dont you think detroit is weak at QBs besides Kitna when he went down the whole offence seem to fall apart what todo if he gets hurt again

sn2.gif
Ken Moll: (1:29 PM ET ) Kitna is a solid operator and can move the chains in this offense. Your right there is not much behind him. Niether backup has experience and they would have to prove a lot to me before I would be confident with them at the helm

Andy (Denver): One win and a bye takes them to the NFC championship game -- is that what you mean?

sn2.gif
Ken Moll: (1:31 PM ET ) Andy, They can win the division and not get a bye. They are gooing to have the record they did last season. believe me-

sn2.gif
Ken Moll: (1:31 PM ET ) Have a great week end and Matt will take over from here.