ESPN Scouts: San Diego, Cowboys still considered the teams to beat

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You get a mulligan on your preseason Super Bowl pick. Who do you think makes it now, after watching a quarter of the season?

Green: It's San Diego and Dallas. Though I'm not excited about the way the Chargers are playing, this was a second-half team last year. I like that defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell is starting to realize that without OLB Shawne Merriman he can't get to quarterbacks with four defenders, and is dialing up more blitz packages. And I don't think the Chargers' offense has hit its stride. LT Marcus McNeill and C Nick Hardwick have missed games. RB LaDainian Tomlinson and TE Antonio Gates have been less than 100 percent. But all of them are getting healthy, and in the meantime WR Chris Chambers has elevated his game. The Cowboys may have lost last week, but they're a better team than the Commanders. Dallas has more talent than anyone in the NFC, and I believe the offense and defense will mature. Watch QB Philip Rivers outplay QB Tony Romo and lead the Chargers to a title down in Tampa.

[+] Enlarge

Greg Trott/Getty Images
Can Philip Rivers take the next step and lead the Chargers to the Super Bowl?

Horton: I never would have dreamed it before the season, but after four games I'm going with the Tennessee Titans to win it all over the New York Giants. The Titans have the best defense in the NFL, and they play with great intensity -- which will remain a constant throughout the season. On offense, they have an effective run game, an underrated offensive line and a stable journeyman in QB Kerry Collins, who only has to manage the game. This formula has worked in the past (remember Baltimore?), and there's no reason to believe it won't work again.

Kidd: What? Don't even go there, because it's a long, long season. I'm staying with my original pick: the Cowboys over the Chargers. I love the offense, and I think the defense will improve as the season goes on. Still, if the reports out of Dallas are correct, they need to get WR Terrell Owens under control right now. This team is too talented to allow one player to create this kind of a distraction.

Kretz: I'm a firm believer in defenses taking teams to the Super Bowl. Last year the Giants dominated opponents with Steve Spagnuolo's blitzing defense. This year the Titans rank first in scoring defense and fifth in total defense. Plus, the addition of rookie RB Chris Johnson gives the Titans an explosive threat to go with the power running of RB LenDale White, which takes the pressure off the passing game. Collins is doing a great job of managing the game and avoiding turnovers. I see the Titans beating the Cowboys in Super Bowl XLIII.

Moll: There are pretenders early in every season, but talent usually rises to the top. The Cowboys are one of the league's most talented clubs and, barring injuries, they'll likely still be standing on Super Bowl Sunday. They have a balanced offense and one of the best 1-2 punches in football (RBs Marion Barber and Felix Jones). Romo and his weapons are very dangerous when they're on. They aren't great on defense, but are very solid. The special teams maintain field position and are extremely effective. The Titans have been outstanding, and it's tough to see how they can be knocked out of a deep postseason run if they stay healthy. The defense is scary, but they may be too one-dimensional on offense. Coach Jeff Fisher is one of the best in the business, but I don't think they have enough juice on offense to win it all. It'll be Dallas over Tennessee on the last Sunday of the season.

Ribary: It's awfully early, but I'm going with the Giants and Chargers. New York obviously has a strong, balanced team with playoff experience and a record of success when they get there. San Diego hasn't been spectacular, but I also think that team's best football is ahead of it. But the defense needs to show improvement for the Chargers to break through.

Williamson: I took Dallas over New England before the season started and will stick with the Cowboys to win the whole thing, but I am now going to take San Diego in the AFC. Dallas simply has too much talent at every position. On paper they are without glaring weaknesses. Of course that doesn't earn you a Super Bowl ring, but I expect Romo to erase any doubts about his ability to perform in the clutch and get it done.

Based on matchups, which player do you expect to have a big Week 5?

Green: I like Buffalo QB Trent Edwards versus Arizona's suspect and beat-up secondary. Favre threw six touchdown passes last week versus the Cardinals, and Edwards understands his system better than Favre does his. The Cardinals' weak link on defense is the cornerback position, and they are not very healthy there right now. I like the way the offensive coordinator Turk Schonert has opened up the offense. The Bills are showing a lot more versatility by allowing Edwards to throw the ball on early downs. Plus, they are using more shotgun formations with empty sets, which will help them this week. The Cardinals are a heavy-blitz team, and playing from the shotgun versus the blitz should allow Edwards time to deliver the ball quickly and allow his receivers to make plays. Look for Edwards to connect on some big plays this weekend with his star receiver Lee Evans.

Horton: The more I watch Haynesworth, the better I like him. He will match up this week versus Baltimore C Jason Brown, who has good size and strength, but he cannot handle Haynesworth by himself. Brown will likely get help from a guard, tackle or back and that leaves Titans RDE Kyle Vanden Bosch on the edge in man-to-man. Haynesworth can penetrate inside with unbelievable arm extension, hand use, and leverage. Plus, he is athletic enough to switch with Vanden Bosch and rush off the edge.
[+] Enlarge

Tim Umphrey/Getty Images
Peyton Manning should get back on track in Week 5 versus the Texans.

Kidd: Without a doubt, Manning and the Colts have not started the season like they had planned. Offensive coordinator Tom Moore and Manning have had two weeks to prepare for a Texans team that is 0-3 and is depleted on the backend due to injuries. In two games, Manning threw for 584 yards with four touchdowns versus Houston in 2007. Look for Manning to get back on track this week.

Kretz: Most teams like to focus on the run when they play away from home, especially when playing in a dome. The Vikings are a run-oriented team to begin with, so I definitely expect them to feed the ball to RB Adrian Peterson in New Orleans on "Monday Night Football". With the return of LT Bryant McKinnie, the Vikings could end up being a left-handed running team again. Peterson is averaging 5.1 yards per carry, and the more touches he gets, the better chance he has of breaking a long run.

Moll: Barber should have a big game versus one of worst teams in the league defending the run. He only carried the ball eight times in their loss to the Commanders, and it's likely coach Wade Phillips and offensive coordinator Jason Garrett will force-feed Marion the Barbarian to set the tone in the trenches. Cincinnati may stack the line of scrimmage, but Dallas has enough talent in the passing game to stop the Bengals from playing too many eight-man fronts. Barber may be the best downhill runner in the league and the Bengals aren't a great tackling team, which bodes well for a bruiser like him.

Ribary: I like Chicago RB Matt Forte against the Lions' defense. The rookie has been a pleasant surprise and the Lions are currently ranked last in the league in run defense. Detroit had a chance to make some corrections during the bye week, but I'm pretty sure the Lions couldn't get all their problems solved in a week.

Williamson: Romo will explode all over the Bengals. Cincinnati is a mess right now, and I think they will have a tough time moving the football against Dallas. That will give Romo and company plenty of opportunities to make plays. This should really be a group award to the entire Cowboys offense. Behind this dominating offensive line, Barber and Jones should have plenty of success on the ground, TE Jason Witten will catch his share of passes, and Owens might just have a little extra something for Cincinnati after last week. Get your popcorn ready.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3621777

superpunk

Reaction score
Tennessee's defense is really, really good.

But they're not "overcoming Kerry Collins as your starting QB" good.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
superpunk;2303772 said:

I snipped the part about Haynesworth, but they're saying he's the early leader for defensive MVP.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
I am too superstitious to feel good about so many people picking us.

The moment everyone on fox pregame picked us to beat the Commanders I got really nervous.

I hate seeing people pick us at all to be honest.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
superpunk;2303772 said:

Well, Cocktail Kerry has won 3 playoff games in his career and quarterbacked a team to the Super Bowl. You could do alot worse under center than him. Like Vince Young for instance.