ESPN Scouts Winners Chat Wrap... Best All-around TE talk

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sn2.gif
Keith Kidd: Congrats to all the winners! A lot of teams won their division yesterday. Let's get rolling with your NFL questions!

Mike (Cleveland): The Pats look great and I think they will finish the regular season unbeaten but I see alot of the 04 Colts in them. What do you think?

sn2.gif
Keith Kidd: I agree. When it comes down to possessions in the red zone against the Pats you HAVE to come away with 7 points. Very much like the Colts in '04. I do not see anybody beating them in the last 3 weeks. Believe it or not, I did say yesterday in the HQ room that they would blow out the Steelers. Hint to future opponents, don't give the Pats any bulletin board material.

Ted (Portland, Ore): Are the Chargers starting to peak at just the right time??

sn2.gif
Keith Kidd: That game yesterday was one of the most physical games I have seen this season. Both teams played like they didn't like each other. The way Rivers was able to come back from that knee injury was huge. The way they won the game should pay dividends down the road. This has not been a good road team this season.

John(Minneapolis): Do you honestly believe that Tarvaris Jackson are legit contenders in the NFC, or are they just hot right now?

sn2.gif
Keith Kidd: Yes. They can run the ball even though they are a dome team. This team can and will be effective in outdoor conditions. They can rely on both Peterson and Taylor. However, if they become a one dimensional team where they have to attack through the air, I still have concerns about Jackson and his ability to make plays. But he has shown some growth and I think he can be a frontline starter in this league.

Jason (Boston) : Keith, What are the chances the pats pick up McFadden with their San Fran pick? Is that even fair for the rest of the league?

sn2.gif
Keith Kidd: The rich get richer! There is still a lot of football to be played in terms of the slotting of draft picks. The way the Niners are playing, yes, they probably will have the second pick overall. With that said, how do the Dolphins pass on McFadden even though Ronnie Brown is on their team? Those are questions that have to be answered.

Luke in Ohio: Kidder, what teams have the best shot at going in New England and beating the Pats? If the weather is bad, I think they are beatable.

sn2.gif
Keith Kidd: The Colts. They can score points. In order to beat the Pats in NE, you have to score a lot of points. They are expected to get Harrison back at some point which will be huge for them. The other team I'm keeping an eye on is the Chargers. This team is one of the most talented in the NFL when healthy. But the weather could play a huge factor in all this.

Chris (Broadview Heights, OH): Who do you like in the Buffalo/Cleveland game next week? The winner has got the inside track to that #6 spot in the AFC.

sn2.gif
Keith Kidd: Unbelievable that we are talking about both these teams for playoff consideration. Jauron has done an amazing job in Buffalo this season while Romeo Crennel has proven he is an outstanding coach when given the opportunity. No doubt the winner has the inside track to the 6 seed. If Cleveland could just start playing better defense they could do some damage in the playoffs.

Al (Miami): K-Squared....how bout J-Dub....I think he has to be the most complete tightend in football...sorry don't see anyone with his all-around talent. Also, what are your thought on the boys, do you see them going 15-1 or 14-2 (with one game as gimme since they will have home field wrapped up)?

sn2.gif
Keith Kidd: I agree. Witten has placed himself as the No. 1 TE in the NFL alongside Gates. Witten is a complete player while Gates is not quite as dominating at the point as Witten. Both cause huge mismatches on the back end for any secondary in the NFL.

sn2.gif
Keith Kidd: Don't forget about Kellen Winslow also.

Josh M (Foxborough): Does the rest of the league really believe we can't run?

sn2.gif
Keith Kidd: Why do you need to run?

Josh (Indy): Looks like a physical matchup between Pitt. & Jax next week...who do you like in that game?

sn2.gif
Keith Kidd: I like Pittsburgh for the simple reason I think they will bounce back after the loss in NE. The Steelers rushed for over 180 yards against the Pats. I'm just not convinced about the Jaguars just yet. If they can go into Pittsburgh and win, they could be a team to do some damage in the playoffs if they can score points like they did yesterday against Carolina.

Matt (Cleveland): I agree with you Mr. Kidd that Witten is nice....but come on...he's not in the same class as Winslow...Winslow has the best hands on a TE that I've ever seen

sn2.gif
Keith Kidd: Like I said, I won't argue with his hands and his ability to make big-time plays down the field but Witten has been one of the most reliable players in Dallas this season outside of T.O.

Xander (Philly): Buffalo vs. Cleveland flex schedule this week?

sn2.gif
Keith Kidd: I don't know. But it would be great watching a sub-zero game in Cleveland under the lights.

Brian (Boston, MA): Is it me, or was that drive by Romo at the end of the game yesterday (no timeouts, 1:50 left)Elway-esque? There's just something about this guy. How the heck did he go undrafted, anyway???

sn2.gif
Keith Kidd: Without a doubt it was Elway-like. The scary thing he is he was reminding me of a young Tom Brady based on his pocket awareness, his instincts and his ability to know where receievers are when protection breaks down. To me he has taken his game to a whole new level this season. This guy is simply a winner. Much like Tom Brady.

Bill (minny): Vikings...1 2 or 3 wins in the playoffs?

sn2.gif
Keith Kidd: If they keep playing at this level nobody will want to face them in the first round. A 6 seed would probably have them playing Seattle. That would be great as the Seahawks are playing well right now.

Josh (Asheville, NC): K2, I told ya last week that I would come back to your chat this week to eat crow for me saying the Steelers would end the Patriots winning streak. So I was wrong & you are once again right. But I do have a question, would Troy have had a difference in the game? When I saw him out, I knew the chances of winning went from a decent chance to a long shot. Then I saw the safeties play & knew there was no shot. I just think Troy could've help kept it closer. Thoughts?

sn2.gif
Keith Kidd: The interesting thing to me is the Pats utilizing two gadget plays that the Steelers normally run and both resulted in explosive downfield plays. I do agree that Polamalu's absence was a factor. But there is no excuse for the way the Steelers secondary played, esp. at the safety positions. How do you not rely on your keys, especially when deep on the second level. They let balls get behind them on several plays.

Greg (Indy): How come Dallas Clark is never considered a top TE in the NFL? Every time someone asks the question in a chat none of experts even have them on the list. Not sure of Witten's Numbers, but I know Dallas' numbers are pretty impressive.

sn2.gif
Keith Kidd: You make a good point. He is definitely a guy to consider based on his versatility and playmaking skills at the TE position.

Joe (Frisco): Should the Niners go after Mike Vick? Say a trade with the goverment so Alex Smith will serve the prison term and Mike Vick can play for the Niners?

sn2.gif
Keith Kidd: Wow, tough times in San Fran right now!

Matt (New York, NY): Kidder, what are your thoughts on the Giants? They have shown an ability to win on the road, which will be keep in the postseason. I think they are a team that definatly could win that first game on the road. Also there a team that could give Dallas or GB a run for there money, no guarnteed win for those teams.

sn2.gif
Keith Kidd: Eli Manning has to play with more consistency. As long as he does that, this team has a chance to do something in the playoffs. A healthy Jacobs and the playmaking skills of Burress and Shockey along with the pressure from the front 4 will be huge. Biggest concern I have defensively is the ability to match up on the back end against a good passing offense.

Seth (Minnesota): Was yesterday a fluke for Adrian peterson? Chester Taylor filled in good, and with 3 D-Line INTs one a pick 6, and Tarvaris Jackson imporving will the vikings win out and make it deep in the playoffs?

sn2.gif
Keith Kidd: Absolutely it was a fluke. When the defenses focuses on Peterson, Taylor is able to make some bigtime explosive runs and that is what happened yesterday. Jackson has to rely on the run game and hand it off while taking what the defense gives him in the passing game. He can't make game-changing mistakes. If he can avoid that, they can make some noise.

SG - NYC: How boring was Cincy's win. YUCK! They are giong to end up 8-8 and continue to be medicore year and year. Your thoughts?

sn2.gif
Keith Kidd: It was boring. No doubt. However, I was thinking last night the last time a Bengals defense played this well. They have the Dolphins, Browns and 49ers left so 7-9 makes more sense to me than 8-8.

sn2.gif
Keith Kidd: Thanks for the questions! It's been a great weekend in Bristol. Tune in on Thursday at noon for my weekly chat where we can talk about all things NFL!

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Hey everyone-MW here. Let's get rolling

TK (brooklyn): Trent Edwards - 5-1 as a starter...

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: How about that! Buff has found it's QB. This kid is good. Smart. Athletic enough. Good arm. Spreads the ball. Buff is going to be good...next year.

Vic (Boston, MA): Do you think the Pats CAN'T run or that they just WON'T run? Losing Morris was a big blow to the running game, maybe that's why they don't run much? I think they need to run the ball enough to be able to legitimately sell the play action passes. Right?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Torn on this. Obviously they do not HAVE to run. They put up oodles of points each week and control the clock with their passing game, but my only question is if the weather isn't condusive to throwing. The way they have handled Maroney is odd. Are they down on him or are they trying to save him for when it really matters? Either way, what D is going to defend the run heavily?

Ryan (San Diego): How dangerous will the Chargers be when they roll in to the playoffs on a 6 game winning streak?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Too inconsistent for me. I know they could have that winning streak, but it comes down to QB play for me when comparing them to the big boys. Brady, Peyton, Ben, Garrard.....huge pause....Rivers. They are capable of pulling an upset in NE or Indy, but I don't see a streak to SB XLII.

Steve (Indiana): Matt, as much positive press that the Packers defense get, I think their safety's are absolutely the weak link. Bigby hits but is out of position on TE seam and out patterns and Collins has rock hands. What do you think they should do?? Rouse and bench either one??

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Yeah, that is the weakest spot on a great D, but it surely doenst kill them. Can somewhat mask them. Bigby is physical and plays the run well. Collins has range. These two are not terrible players, but compared to the other starters, they are weak links. First round pick on a safety? Could happen.

JK (NY): If the chargers play the pats in the playoffs, I think Cromartie matches up favorably with Moss both speedwise and jumping ability wise. With LDT going against slow and aging pats LBs, I think the chargers have plenty of tools to pull off an upset.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Agreed. But in NE. Brady vs. Rivers. BB vs. Norv....Hmmmm, give me the PATS!

Patrick (Ocala, FL): Whose the best ALL AROUND tightend in the NFL? Notice not best Recieving tightend.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Gates. How do you really decipher though? I can't value Gates' oustanding receiving ability the same as I value a big heavy extra OT's blocking ability. 1. Gates. 2. KC 3. Witten.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: 2 was K2, sorry

Seth (Minnesota): Was Petersons Performance a Fluke yesterday?And with Taylor filling in so good, Tarvaris is improving, 3 D-Line picks one of them a touchdown do you see the Vikings winning out and going deep into the playoffs?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: They are going to the playoffs, but not going deep. Tough team to play against right now for sure and Peterson's performance was a fluke for sure. Special player...resting him some wouldn't be a terrible idea however. Jackson deserves credit, becoming a solid game manager. I am still not sold, but he is improving rapidly. GB and Big D are far superior teams however. I also don't like Minny's chances against Sea's passing attack in Seattle.

Mike (Cleveland): Whats up M Dub? So do the Browns re-sign Jamal Lewis? He has been pretty stellar for the Browns. Also what do you think about the Browns play-off chances? Pretty big game on Sunday.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: I think I would re-up JLew. He has been very good. That could allow Clev to concentrate on DL in the draft and free agency. Nice situation. Clev will get in and travel to PGH. I gotta stick with PGH on this one. Already 2--0 against them.

Josh (Indiana): The Colts are third in points scored and third in points allowed...it looks like they are actually a better team than they were last year during the super bowl run...what are the chances of them going to NE and winning there?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Hmmm....33%. I give them one in three. They are extremely good, no question.

PaulieP (Scottsdale): Seahawks win 4 straight titles, Mike Holmgren wins more games than any other Hawks coach ever... No pub at all. Don't forget about that team in the great NW!

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: I hear you and I JUST finished a blog praising Hass. Good D as well. Branch and Hackett should be healthy for the playoffs.

Lou (NYC): Just for a moment, can we look at the fact that Peyton just passed Elway on the all-time TD list? Some consider Elway the best ever. People, take note that some of the best QB play ever is happening right now.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: For sure. Peyton and Brady could very well go down as #1 and #2 ALL TIME. Brady will retire with more rings than any QB in history.

Scott (Ny): Where does Chris Cooley fall in the ranking of TE's in the league? What are the chances the skins win 2 out of 3 considering that Dallas probably wont play starters the last week since they already clinched and finishing with an 8-8 record this year.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: I can see that. NYG will not be an easy game at all. I really like Cooley and he is SO important to that O. I still put him behind Witten, Gonzo, K2 and Gates though.

Nick (Boston): I hate when analysts say that the Patriots don't have a running game. It's kind of like riding your bike to work when you have a Ferrari in the garage. Why rush Maroney for 4 or 5 when you can keep throwing to Moss, Welker, Gaffney, Stallworth, and Watson? Why bother?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: My point exactly. But that still leads to the question, "How good is NE's running attack?"...we might NEVER have to find out.

John (Portland, ME): Over/Under - 12 TD passes by Brady over the last three games.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: O/U 6 TD passes against the Jets???

Katelyn (Syracuse, NY): IF the Bills make the playoffs (and I do realize that is still a very big if) Dick Jaroun has to be coach of the year right?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: He should have a shot no matter what. R Crenel deserves a lot of votes. BUT, if NE does not lose one game this year, I vote for BB.

Steve (Moscow, ID): Jeremy Green wrote that Denver made a schematic change on defense for the KC game. Can you ellaborate? What exactly did Denver do differently on D?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: They had zero respect for KC's passing attack and used their great man to man CBs against the KC WRs without hardly any help. Dedicated more bodies to the run game. Obviously it worked very well, but they don't play KC every week.

Wade Phillips (Irving, TX): Hey now Matt, Don't forget me

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: I feel ya

Katelyn (Syracuse, NY): Who gets the MVP? Brady, Moss, Romo, or Favre? I say Favre because he has done more with significantly less.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Come on Katelyn, Brady could sit the rest of the games and win it.

Greg (Amarillo): Were the Cowboys a little flat or did we see the Lions that WERE 6-2 and not 0-4 in their last 4? It seemed like the Defense was asleep at the wheel...had you said before the game that the Lions would sack Romo more than Ware and Ellis would sack Kitna, i would have laughed in your face. What gives?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: I do think they were a little flat and that Det was pretty darn fired up. Remember, Detroit is historically a very difficult place to play as well. Everyone has a hiccup, but Big D put it all together and took care of biz.

Schmoo (Chicago): If Steelers and Browns both win this week, who would have the tie-breaker between the Jags and Browns. I wouldn't mind SD in early January.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: No time for me to check that right now-anyone know? Sounds like a distinct possibility.

Chris, Seattle: Do the Hawks have the best Pass Rushing threesome in the NFL with Kerney, Tapp and Peterson?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: That is a heck of a group. I still think I take Strahan, Osi and Tuck over those three, but not by a landslide.

Nick (Boston): "We're gonna go up there, play hard, and hopefully not get beat too bad." - Kerry Rhodes on this week's game. Phenomenal quote. Thought I'd pass it along.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: No kidding? First I heard that. Wow. Going to be very ugly.

Chris, Seattle: Seahawks have been on a role. How many Pro Bowlers should they have? I think Hass, Jones, Kerney, Trufant and Tatupu should be locks. But I also like Julian Peterson and Bobby Engram.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Yeah, I can't honestly argue with any of those selections. How many WRs does each side take? 5 I think. Who in the NFC deserves it more than Engram? TO for sure. Plex does. Jennings. Fitz? Galloway? That might be it.

Matt (New York, NY): I find it hard to believe that Shockey is not in this discussion at all. We all know what kind of ability he has catching the ball, but under Coughlin's gameplan he is used primarly as a blocker. He has definatly developed into one of the best blocking tight ends, while at the same time having the explosive ability to take over a game. I think sometimes we fall in love with the touchdowns and the glamour. I'll take Shockey as a complete tight end over a lot of those guys, who just have more flash.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Shockey is probably next in my opinion. Not as explosive, quick or fast as he once was due to all his injuries. He is slowing. Plus, he isn't on the field enough. This year has been better, but historically, he spends too much time hurt...usually because he plays so hard.

Carlos(VA): The first tie breaker for Cle/Jags would be AFC record, Jags are 6-3 and the Browns are 6-4 in that regard.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Much appreciated Carlos! I didn't have time to look it up right now.

Glenn (NJ): has Braylon Edwards and Derek Anderson become one of the top QB-WR matches in the game right now? its got to be close with Brady-Moss Romo-T.O., Peyton- Wayne (since harrison is out)

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: For sure. I would put them fourth on that list, but that is a pretty darn good list!

Mike (Fresno, CA): MW - just for arguments sake, what has Gonzo done since Cooley has been in the league? Are you basing your ranking on his past (read long ago) performances or same time frame as Cooley has played?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Talking about who is the best TODAY. Gonzo gets a TON of attention from opposing Ds and he still produces at a very high level. Nothing against Cooley, but I think you are selling Gonzo a little bit short.

Lou (NYC): I think what all these people are saying is that the TE position is miles ahead of what it was 5 years ago. All these guys (Gates, Shock, K2, Witten, Cooley, Gonzo...) are great athletes. No position has evolved like this in the past 10 years.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: I agree. Guys who were playing power forward in hoops now realize that getting to the NBA is much tougher than any other sport. $$$ to be made at TE. More first rounders than every. Evolving very quickly and if you don't have a good one, you are in a big hole. BTW, Dallas Clark deserves mentioning. I forgot. I do realize that he is just a big WR, but he has really played well.

Chris (Barnegat, NJ): What about Manning-Burress? Could you imagine what Plax would have done this year if healthy? Through the first 6 weeks his numbers were right there with Moss and better than TO.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: I know it and just finished a blog on Plex-check it out. However, the thrower in that combo doesn't compare to the others mentioned.

Matt (Seattle): Who is the defensive MVP so far this year?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: I think it is Haynesworth by a hair over Ware. Not an easy one though.

Rick (Wisconsin): I have to admit, I do NOT want to see the Seahawks in the playoffs. They have been quiet all year, and are 9-4? 2 of those losses were a botched snap in AZ and an OT at red-hot Cleveland. And, Hommgren knows Farve...

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Good point. SEA would spread the field against GB's D as well with 3 or 4 WR sets. Tough matchups. I still like GB in that game, esp in Cheese Land.

John. NY: With a garunteed playoff spot is it time to shut down Burress till the playoffs?

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Maybe. Time to really regulate his minutes for sure.

sn2.gif
Matt Williamson: Everyone, this was a lot of fun. Catch me tomorrow at 1:00 for an hour long chat about whatever you want. See ya.

sn2.gif
Doug Kretz: Thanks Matt.. Ok, lets continue this winners chat..

Adam (San Diego, CA): Will Norv Turner ever let Michael Turner play?

sn2.gif
Doug Kretz: Adam.. Its not so much a matter of letting Turner play but not wanting to take touches away from LT.. There are not many running backs in the league that would warrent taking carries away from LT..

Jason (Boston, MA): Did you notice Gaffney is now the #2 receiver on the Pats? How on earth did Philly cut this guy? He was out of football last year! It's very interesting how a player can be resurgent in the right environment. Who is your pick this year for previously-unimpressive-veteran-who-made-good-with-new-team?

sn2.gif
Doug Kretz: Jason.. Sometimes its the surrounding cast, sometimes it's the system and sometimes teams simply make mistakes.. Considering how Phily is now struggling, I'd say it was a mistake..

Matt (Costa Rica): Hey Doug, speculation is rampant in Denver that the Broncos will release Javon Walker this offseason if he doesn't restructure his contract (i.e., big paycut). I love the idea of Walker and Marshall together, but if Walker can't get on the field...

sn2.gif
Doug Kretz: It could be tough to redo Walker at this point.. too much money going to Stokley.. It would be a good trio if they could get him to restructure, though..

RJ (Fullerton): Is Donte Whitner an elite SS yet?

sn2.gif
Doug Kretz: Getting close, but still a year away.. He is a playmaker and I'm sure Buffalo is glad to have him, especially considering that he is only in his second year..

Jeff (Rochester NY): How many divisions could put together an all-star team and still lose to the Patriots?

sn2.gif
Doug Kretz: Given time they'd all beat the Patiots (except for their own division who wouldn't be able to find a QB to play)..

Mike in NYC: Hey Doug, who do you like next week between Pitt and Jacksonville?

sn2.gif
Doug Kretz: Tough one.. Two very tough teams.. If Troy returns at safety it would make a huge difference for Pitt.. But I would still pick the Steelers at home..

Robbie (Indianapolis, IN): Doug, who do you have in the biggest game in the NFL next week (BUF @ CLE)?

sn2.gif
Doug Kretz: I like Buffalo's defense to confuse DA and the offense to score just enough points to win that one..

Mike (Cleveland): If you were Phil Savage would you resign Jamal Lewis or pursue Michael Turner? Turner is my choice because he's a homerun hitter.

sn2.gif
Doug Kretz: I'd go after Turner but for a different reason.. Lewis is having a better year than expected but he is getting old and has not been consistent for two years running for quite a while.. Turner is relatively young and has fresher legs..

Hardley (New York): Hey Kretz, can we give Steve Spagnuolo credit for turning the first bottom dwelling defensive units to one of the league's best?

sn2.gif
Doug Kretz: Hardley.. You mean we don't?? I have mentioned him several times in blogs, game match-ups, etc.. He has been huge for the G-men's defense.. Great timing on his blitzes and has the defense playing balls out..

John (Portland): Any chance of the Hawks cutting Alexander?

sn2.gif
Doug Kretz: Not much.. Two reasons 1) they would take too much of a salary cap hit if they cut him and 2) he still fits a role in Seattle's offense (he actually played pretty well the past two games since getting that clumsy cast off his hand)..

TJ (Boston): Yo Kretz, I like Garrard and D.Anderson over Peyton & Roth for the QB backups in the Pro Bowl... do you agree?

sn2.gif
Doug Kretz: Not at all.. Payton is still the best (or second best) QB in the NFL.. Maybe instead of Roth, but Anderson has been exposed a bit by pressure defenses the past few weeks.. I can see Garrard based on just this year..

Mike(Cleveland): You are taking Buffalo at Cleveland?! You have got to be kidding me. Browns clearly have the edge in offense and special teams. Bills have a better D, but c'mon. No contest, the Browns by 10. I will see you here this time next week.

sn2.gif
Doug Kretz: No.. don't see it.. Buffalo's defense has the ability to slow down Cleveland and Cleveland's defense, while playing better of late, still gives up too much and Buffalo should score some points on them..

John (DC): Saints lose tonight and the Commanders control their own destiny. Don't give up on them yet. This could be like 2 years ago.

sn2.gif
Doug Kretz: Wow.. Saints loose to Atlanta?? I would like to see Gibbs get the Skins back into the playoffs but I don't see it happening that way.. Atlanta is really struggling..

Josh (NC): TJ in Boston is worried about the playoffs already! As you said, Doug, Peyton is one of the best EVER. Brady's great, but he hasn't put up the big numbers until this year (that's why Moss is MVP). Peyton does it year in, year out.

sn2.gif
Doug Kretz: I, personally, like Mannng better but a very good case can be made for Brady.. Remember Payton has great receivers as well (although he IS missing his best one as of late)..

Sujay (chicago): Mike, the Bills have a better special teams than Cleveland. Sure Cribbs is leading the conference, but the Bills have a deadly return game in McGee and Parrish and better coverage and better kickers (Lindell and Moorman).

sn2.gif
Doug Kretz: It could come down to special teams.. Yes, Cribbs is great but punters and kickers CAN kick away from him and take him out of the equation..

Katelyn (Syracuse, NY): What are your thoughts on Trent Edwards? He seems smart, poised, and efficient. Has Buffalo FINALLY found the heir to Jim Kelly (after about 8 other tries)?

sn2.gif
Doug Kretz: I like Edwards.. Only time will tell if he is the heir but I like what I see, so far..

Mike: Doug, I have noticed you misspell "lose" many times here and I know it's not a typo since it's happened more than a few times. There's a big difference between lose and loose buddy. Get it right!

sn2.gif
Doug Kretz: Mike.. Are you the guy that sat behind me in Frosh English that kept on raising his hands and yelling OH, OH, OH, OH??

Steve (Moscow, ID): Can we call Brady and Peyton a wash? My opinion is that Peyton has had better receivers, but Brady has had a better O-Line. (Discounting this year of course).

sn2.gif
Doug Kretz: We could call it a wash but that would leave a lot of people feeling empty.. kind of like kissing your sister?? Everyone wants to declare a winner..

Nick (Cleveland): Are you the same guy that picked the Dolphins to beat the Browns? Or was that Williamson? Either way Scouts Inc. has it out for the Browns and especially Derek Anderson.

sn2.gif
Doug Kretz: I'm the one that called the Cardinals over the Browns.. Must have been MW.. LOL.. Actually I really like Anderson.. have personally known him for 5-6 years.. Watched him play in high school.. Great kid and a very good QB.. However I have to call out his weaknesses ... He is simply not very mobile and can get flustered under pressure..

Mad Mike (Houston): Doug: The Texans had a quality win versus a potential play-off team yesterday. I think this is leading up to a serious run at the play-offs next year! Your thoughts and the win? Thanks..............MM

sn2.gif
Doug Kretz: MM.. Great win for Houston.. They are on the cusp.. Yes, I'd say that they are close.. One or two players on the O line and a RB that can stay healthy..

Jason (Cleveland): Listen, I love Derek Anderson, I think he shows flashes of greatness when the games on the line... But with Chud's system, and the best pass blocking O-line in the league, I've gotta think there are a number of quarterbacks who could succeed... including B. Quinn... Agree?

sn2.gif
Doug Kretz: I think you understand a large reason for DA's success.. Quinn?? Not sure, yet.. He hasn't done anything to make me think he could succeed.. Right now, DA seems to be their best shot..

Eric M (Meadowlands): Hi... Just scoping out the Winners' Chat digs for next week... OH who am I kidding, even I don't believe we can win.

sn2.gif
Doug Kretz: Eric.. I hope I do see you here next week.. It would make for the biggest story of the NFL this year if you do..

sn2.gif
Doug Kretz: See you all next week and look for me and all the other guys on Friday for the divisional chats.. Enjoy tonite's game and have a great week.. Oh, and Mike.. I thought it was a good comeback, maybe not a great one, but at least good.. LOL

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Kellen Winslow over Witten.

:lmao2: You've got to be kidding me. He may be a better receiver, but Witten is one of the best blocking tight ends in the game. Winslow is FAR from that.

Carolina Cowboy

Reaction score
Guy is an *** clown. Winslow over Witten, maybe at crashing motorcycles. He then proceeds to contradict himself when saying Witten is better overall than Gates because he is better at the point of attack and then later in the article says Gates is 1.

And half a season Haynesworth over Ware, uh yeah ...

Wolfpack

Reaction score
How about this gem:

Matt (New York, NY): I find it hard to believe that Shockey is not in this discussion at all. We all know what kind of ability he has catching the ball, but under Coughlin's gameplan he is used primarly as a blocker. He has definatly developed into one of the best blocking tight ends, while at the same time having the explosive ability to take over a game. I think sometimes we fall in love with the touchdowns and the glamour. I'll take Shockey as a complete tight end over a lot of those guys, who just have more flash.

How many passes did he drop Yesterday?

Woods

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1825199 said:
I believe IF Ware puts together some sacks over the last 3 games he's going to be DPOY...

He probably needs another 4-5 sacks, IMO and another forced fumble (or two).

mitchell2254

Reaction score
Carolina Cowboy;1825045 said:
Guy is an *** clown. Winslow over Witten, maybe at crashing motorcycles. He then proceeds to contradict himself when saying Witten is better overall than Gates because he is better at the point of attack and then later in the article says Gates is 1.

It was two different people. Keith Kidd then Matt Williamson

joseephuss

Reaction score
Carolina Cowboy;1825045 said:

There were two different ESPN guys there. One(Keith Kidd) said Witten was the best all around and the other(Matt Williamson) said Witten was #3. He holds higher value to the tight ends ability as a receiver. If it is just based on receiving ability, then yes Gates is better. And it is just enough to overcome Witten's blocking, which is much better now than I remember seeing the last couple of years.

I would say 1A and 1B with Gates and Witten at best, but I don't think there is anything wrong with Witten being second to Gates. In 5 years, they both have 332 careers receptions. Yards goes to Gates(4268 to 3793) and average goes to Gates(12.9 to 11.4). The big difference is TDs. Gates has 43 to Witten's 21. That is incredible.