ESPN Walker: AFC North Chat Wrap...4 'Boys-Steelers blurbs

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sn2.gif
James Walker: Hello everyone. No themes this week. I want to make it simple. So let's get into it.

Jim Schwartz (Nashville, TN): I love fat Albert, but James Harrison is going to edge him for Defensive Player of the Year, isn't he?

sn2.gif
James Walker: Good question, Jim. It could come down to the wire and how both players perform in the final month of the season. But Albert Haynesworth has an advantage that he plays on a team with a better record, which could be the difference.

Kevin Carlson Maryland: James, Whats up man my names Kevin from College Park, MD. I was a security guard at Ravens training camp this summer, and I remember talking to you along with one of the ravens police officers a couple times on the sideline while you were covering the ravens. How have your expectations on the ravens changed from training camp until now? Do you think they will make the playoffs, and if so, is it possible for them to make any sort of run? Hope everything is going well my man. Be easy. Kevin

sn2.gif
James Walker: I remember it well Kevin. It was fun. I always thought the Ravens would be in the hunt, somewhere between 7-9 wins. But they're probably going to surpass that because the QB position is better than even they imagined it would be. With a great defense, it's always possible to make a run. I think both AFC North teams, if they both get in, would be huge headaches in the palyoffs.

Dave (Pittsburgh, PA): Should I be worried about Ben's safety this week against the Dallas pass rush?

sn2.gif
James Walker: That is a concern, Dave. The Cowboys are as talented as anyone defensively, although they haven't always been on the same page. Pittsburgh looks like its trying to run the football more, which would help.

Luis (SB, CA): Are NFC East fans allowed? What would you suggest the Cowboys do to give themselves the best opportunity to beat the Steelers this weekend?

sn2.gif
James Walker: Just this one time. Just kidding, Luis, I'm a nice guy. The teams that have beaten Pittsburgh this season have battered Ben Roethlisberger and/or forced him to turnover the football and make a short field. That's the way to best score points against Pittsburgh's defense.

Andrew (Baltimore): Bill Cowher - Browns rumors true?

sn2.gif
James Walker: Not yet Andrew. The Browns have not contacted Cowher but probably will after the season to gage his interest. From there, it's up to him. So for now it's just a natural assumption/rumor that will be revisited in January or February.

Scott (Indy): (showing Luis the door) Who let that guy in here?

sn2.gif
James Walker: I'm sure there will be plenty of back and forth this week with the Commanders playing the Ravens and Cowboys playing the Steelers.

Dave (Baltimore, MD): Terrell Suggs for Anquan Boldin, straight-up. Would you make the trade?

sn2.gif
James Walker: Nope. Receivers are a dime a dozen and the last link in the chain for an offense to be successful. Pass rushers are much more important to a defense.

T.J. Houshmandzadeh: Hey do think i can go the ravens in the offseason if bengals dont sign me?

sn2.gif
James Walker: T.J., no players this week. The games are too important right now and I don't want to take time away from all the film study around the league.

Mark Clayton: TJ, we don't need you. I'm awesome.

sn2.gif
James Walker: Great game Mark. Now get back to work.

Mike (Atlanta, GA): Which TE will be a larger factor in this week's game - Miller or Witten?

sn2.gif
James Walker: Witten is a bigger part of Dallas' passing game, so I would have to way Witten.

Mario, Baltimore MD: If you are Ozzie Newsome do you bring back T-Sizzle and Ray Lewis; or do you bring back bart scott and Terrel Suggs? I love Ray but that price tag is going to be high and you can't help but imagine when all these years of Ray pounding opponents will catch up with his body?

sn2.gif
James Walker: Mario, Ray means a lot to this team in terms of leadership. You can't measure that type of importance. If Baltimore uses the franchise tag, it's possible it could keep all three. But I doubt it.

John (Fort Myers, FL): Did the Steelers finally realize they have a better back in Gary Russell when they released Najeh for (hopefully) the last time?

sn2.gif
James Walker: I think Pittsburgh was worried about Willie Parker's status, so they wanted another healthy back just in case. When the Steelers realized Willie was fine, they let Davenport go--a third time.

Brendon (Hyattsville, MD): Will both Kyle Boller and Troy Smith be elsewhere next year?

sn2.gif
James Walker: Kyle Boller is definitely gone. He will probably get a chance elsewhere at least as a backup. Troy Smith has a unique role here and is more likely to stay.

Keith (Austin, TX): If Rex Ryan leaves Baltimore and takes a head coaching job somewhere, what do you think the chances are of Marvin Lewis getting fired and then Baltimore picking him up as a D-coordinator? I want an exact percentage!

sn2.gif
James Walker: Seven percent. I don't think Marvin Lewis gets fired and if he does, I doubt he's going to Baltimore. He was under Brian Billick, not this current regime of John Harbaugh.

Mike Tomlin: If I see any of my player's names in this chat when they should be studying film, they are going to be in tomorrow's "news"

sn2.gif
James Walker: I'm trying to tell them, Coach. You all have a big game this week.

Mike, Baltimore MD: What are the odds Cam Cameron gets another shot at being a HC in the NFL in the near future?

sn2.gif
James Walker: Not in the near future, Mike. Some coaches are just great coordinators on one side of the football. I think Cam Cameron fits in that mold. There's nothing wrong with that.

Keith (Chicago): Please tell me Savage is staying and Romeo is going... Have you ever seen a coaching staff get less out of more talent?

sn2.gif
James Walker: That is the big debate in Cleveland right now. Both sides have faults, Keith, and there's no point in choosing sides. It's up to Randy Lerner to decide, but of the two, Phil Savage has the best chance of staying.

Tony (College Park, MD): Do you see the Ravens bottling up Portis like the Steelers did?

sn2.gif
James Walker: Good matchup, but Clinton is banged up and few teams can run on the Ravens anyway.

jamie barany london ontario: i love the blog do you see the steelers making a pick up of plex boldin ocho or housh in the off season are wr's are sub par with the exception of hines holmes kills us he runs the wrong routes alot.

sn2.gif
James Walker: Wide receivers are waaaay down on Pittsburgh's list. The Steelers are fine with skill players, and why these guys? Pittsburgh will spend its resources on the offensive line next year. It is the only glaring weakness the Steelers have.

Mike(San Diego): How good is Pittsburgh's D? Good enough for a championship?

sn2.gif
James Walker: I've said several times in recent weeks that the D is Super Bowl-caliber. The offense, not so much.

Scott (Leesburg VA): What games do you think are "must win" in the remaining 4 for the ravens for them to make the playoffs?

sn2.gif
James Walker: Well, the Ravens have to beat the Steelers if they want to win the AFC North. So in that sense, Pittsburgh is a must win. Otherwise, I just think they need to go 2-2 or 3-1 to be safe, without any regards to whom they beat and lose to.

Kris, PA: Dyn-O-mite: how many times are you going to make me ask? Steve Slaton: serious contender?

sn2.gif
James Walker: Kris, Steve Slaton is a good player. But I don't see him winning ROY.

Zach Baltimore, MD: James, I love your blog. I was wondering if I understand the nfl tiebreakers right? If the steelers and ravens both wind up at 12-4, pittsburgh takes the north since they would have beat tenessee and we lost? or does head-to-head point differential come first?

sn2.gif
James Walker: Thanks, Zach. The first tiebreaker is head-to-head. If they split, division records would be second, and Ws and Ls against common opponents would be third.

John (Fort Myers, FL): Honestly, what went wrong with the Browns this year? Where do the problems start? How can a team that went 10-6 last year, who by all accounts, got better in the offseason, play so poorly this year?

sn2.gif
James Walker: There are a million reasons, but the biggest are injuries, lack of focus, overconfidence, and no team chemistry.

John (Fort Myers, FL): I visited my family in PA over the holiday. Some cousins from Alaska were there too. Did you know Subway $5 footlongs cost $6 in Alaska? They still have the same $5 footlong commercials though...

sn2.gif
James Walker: Cool. I learned something new everyday.

Alex, Los Angeles: Who are the Ravens going for first-round in the 09 draft?

sn2.gif
James Walker: It depends on where they pick. But I would say cornerback is the biggest priority.

Jonathan (Los Angeles, CA): Why does it seem like James Harrison gets held on most plays, yet it never gets called?

sn2.gif
James Walker: James Harrison could use the art of "acting" on occasion to catch the ref's attention. But he attacks so hard that acting is not in his game. He has such a low center of gravity that he gets there anyway.

Ernie (LA): Any word on how Mendenhall's handling his rehab

sn2.gif
James Walker: I've seen Rashard Mendenhall around the Steelers facility a couple times and he looks fine. I haven't talked to him since the injury so I can't give you an update.

Scott (Leesburg VA): James, do you the emergence of clayton recently is flukish or a sign that Flacco is becoming more comfortable with him and that he might be more consistant in the near future?

sn2.gif
James Walker: Mark Clayton has always had talent. He's just never had the consistency and production. Let's see if he develops that from this point forward.

John (Fort Myers, FL): Do you see any current Steelers rookies cracking the starting lineup next year?

sn2.gif
James Walker: Hmmm, I don't see it. Some rookies from 2006, like Lawrence Timmons, still haven't earned starting jobs. It just takes a while in Pittsburgh. That's a good sign of depth.

Jeff: Regarding tie breakers: isnt conference records used before common opponents?

sn2.gif
James Walker: Not in the case of the Ravens and Steelers. If there are two teams in the same division, it goes head-to-head, division records, common opponents, then conference records.

Greg (Rochester, NY): The Bengals sent more guys to IR this week - can they win another game? - even with anyone healthy are they even a .500team?

sn2.gif
James Walker: The Browns and Chiefs games are the two that are winnable. It's going to be tough, maybe they can split

sn2.gif
James Walker: The Browns and Chiefs games are the two that are winnable. It's going to be tough, maybe they can split

Jason (East Lansing, MI): What are the odds the Steelers get the number one seed? I know they're going to have to beat the Titans to do it, but is there a chance? Also, would you say James Harrison is the best linebacker in the NFL?

sn2.gif
James Walker: Not good, Jason. Tennessee has an easier schedule and the Titans are two games up. Pittsburgh would pretty much have to run the table, which includes a win in Tennessee.

Devon Cleveland: Whats our biggest need comedraft day?

sn2.gif
James Walker: The Browns need linebackers, especially if they want to continue trying to run the 3-4.

John (Fort Myers, FL): What are the chances we can get (NFC East blogger) Matt Mosley to agree on a bet that the winner of this week's Cowboys-Steelers game gets to be called "America's Team" for the rest of the season?

sn2.gif
James Walker: That's a good idea. I'll throw around some ideas and see if he bites.

sn2.gif
James Walker: Everyone, enjoy this weekend's slate of games, because there are some big ones. I'll be in Pittsburgh this weekend writing about the Steelers and Cowboys, so it should be interesting.
-JW

bigE79

Reaction score
John (Fort Myers, FL): What are the chances we can get (NFC East blogger) Matt Mosley to agree on a bet that the winner of this week's Cowboys-Steelers game gets to be called "America's Team" for the rest of the season?
...i thought stealer fans were not jealous of the cowboys:laugh1:

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
John (Fort Myers, FL):[/B] What are the chances we can get (NFC East blogger) Matt Mosley to agree on a bet that the winner of this week's Cowboys-Steelers game gets to be called "America's Team" for the rest of the season?

OMG :bang2:

People REALLY despise us being called that huh? Wow......

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Dave (Baltimore, MD): Terrell Suggs for Anquan Boldin, straight-up. Would you make the trade?

sn2.gif
James Walker: Nope. Receivers are a dime a dozen and the last link in the chain for an offense to be successful. Pass rushers are much more important to a defense.

:confused:

Boldin > Suggs. Suggs is bad.....

bobtheflob

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2458184 said:

sn2.gif
James Walker: That's a good idea. I'll throw around some ideas and see if he bites.

So, since we're called America's Team already, we'd be risking that while gaining nothing. Vice versa for the Steelers.