WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
December 1, 2008 9:00 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker
Here are the most interesting stories Monday in the AFC North:
  • The Pittsburgh Steelers grabbed another marquee win with a 33-10 victory over the New England Patriots.
Morning take: The Steelers inched one step closer to the No. 2 seed and a first-round bye. That would be a major boon come January.
  • The Baltimore Ravens (8-4) also kept pace in the playoff race with a 34-3 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals.
Morning take: The Dec. 14 meeting with the Steelers is shaping up to be huge.
Morning take: Down two quarterbacks, the Browns could be 4-12 by the end of this season.
Morning take: The Bengals have four more games to get a win and avoid being the worst Bengals' team in history.

AFC North, Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers
Read comments or leave a comment

Pittsburgh makes impressive statement
November 30, 2008 8:09 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

The Pittsburgh Steelers not only made a huge statement, but they positioned themselves to make a deep postseason run with Sunday's 33-10 victory over the New England Patriots.

The win has multiple benefits for the Steelers, who improved to 9-3. They earned a head-to-head tiebreaker over New England (7-5) in the event it ever comes down to it. Pittsburgh also gained a game on the New York Jets (8-4), who lost to the Denver Broncos and remain the biggest threats to the Steelers in terms of playoff seeding.

And the No. 2 seed is a coveted prize this year in the balanced AFC. It would mean a first-round bye and a home game at Heinz Field for Pittsburgh, which potentially would set up a one-game scenario against the Tennessee Titans in the conference title game with a chance to go to Tampa.

What we learned Sunday was the route Pittsburgh's top-rated defense will travel. The Steelers haven't had a bad game defensively all season, and as long as they don't turn over the football, Pittsburgh should be in every game regardless of the opponent and location.

This, along with the win over the Washington Commanders, was among Pittsburgh's most impressive victories of the season. The Steelers went on the road to Gillette Stadium and won the turnover battle 5-to-1 and halted the hot streak of New England quarterback Matt Cassel, who entered Sunday with back-to-back 400-yard games.

Perhaps the biggest challenge going forward is can the Steelers hold off the surging Baltimore Ravens (8-4), who won their sixth game in seven weeks with an impressive 34-3 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals?

Both schedules are rugged. Baltimore and Pittsburgh each play three teams with winning records in its final four games. But the biggest matchup remaining could be against one another when the Ravens host the Steelers on Dec. 14.

The winner of that game may not only earn the AFC North title, but a free pass into the second round of the postseason.

AFC North, Pittsburgh Steelers, Baltimore Ravens, New England Patriots, rapid reaction 13
Read comments or leave a comment

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Wow. Nothing about Dallas being a big game for them. That actually annoys me a little.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
jobberone;2455347 said:
Wow. Nothing about Dallas being a big game for them. That actually annoys me a little.

I hope they show up deflated on Sunday. They got through an emotional game at New England, who has had their number for years.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jobberone;2455347 said:
FWIW, this was an AFC North blog and from what I gather, the guy believes the Dallas game is winnable. From another part of the blog

Pittsburgh Steelers (9-3) remaining schedule
Dec. 7 vs. Dallas Cowboys (8-4)

Comment: Pittsburgh is 1-2 against the NFC East but could finish .500 against the NFL's toughest division.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I would not sweat it. We know it is a huge game for them and the media will hype the game this week.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2455350 said:
FWIW, this was an AFC North blog and from what I gather, the guy believes the Dallas game is winnable. From another part of the blog

They could also finish .250.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2455350 said:

Still dissed us. Which is ok for me now. Let them think this is one they should win.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
jobberone;2455366 said:
Still dissed us. Which is ok for me now. Let them think this is one they should win.

I wouldn't call their beating a Tom-Brady-less NE team a big win either. Buy hey, let them think that too! :lmao:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
****ing Browns. If they finish 4-12 this year, I'm going to be irritated.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
jobberone;2455347 said:

You make it sound like we are their rival like the seahawks are ours.