Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
December 3, 2008 10:00 AM

dal.gif
vs.
pit.gif

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

We have our first-ever double feature with this week's version of "Take your pick" in the AFC North.

On one side, we have a huge marquee matchup between the Dallas Cowboys (8-4) at the Pittsburgh Steelers (9-3). And on the other side, we have another great battle with the Washington Commanders (7-5) traveling up the beltway to play the Baltimore Ravens (8-4).

Two great games. Two tough choices with major playoff implications.

was.gif
vs.
bal.gif

So regardless of what club you're a fan of, take your pick in both games. Heck, even NFC East blogger Matt Mosley has an open invitation to bring his army into our community this week to provide their opinions.

But first we must warn you. New England Patriots fans tried their hardest to invade our AFC North community last week, and we don't see or hear from them any longer.

So get familiar, NFC East fans. The AFC North blog has the best NFL fans in the country.

Tiptoe around these parts and you might get "Wes Welkered!"

AFC North, Baltimore Ravens, Pittsburgh Steelers, New England Patriots, Wes Welker, Dallas Cowboys, Washington Commanders

Read comments or leave a comment

The Panch

Reaction score
Baltimore's gonna be no slouch for us. They're 7-1 in their last 8 winning by an average margin of nearly 19 points and Flacco hasnt turn the ball over in any of those wins. That B-More defense is lookin scary. Especially their secondary. I fully expect Campbell to have a multiple INT day.

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
That hit on Welker was viscious. I can't believe the guy who laid that hit on him didn't get a suspension (as far as I've heard).

The Panch

Reaction score
Dhragon;2459208 said:
That hit on Welker was viscious. I can't believe the guy who laid that hit on him didn't get a suspension (as far as I've heard).
It didnt warrant a suspension. He hit him hard, so what? It wasnt helmet-to-helmet and the ball was barely deflected right before the hit.

sacase

Reaction score
Dhragon;2459208 said:

He will get fined I expect at least 25k if not more. I think thursday is the day fines are annouced.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sacase;2459211 said:
He will get fined I expect at least 25k if not more. I think thursday is the day fines are annouced.
NO FINE FOR CLARK
Posted by Mike Florio on December 3, 2008, 10:28 a.m.

Usually, a player makes a big hit in a game, draws no flag, and then later in the week receives a FedEx from the league office advising him of his involuntary contribution to one or more charities of the NFL’s choosing.

For Steelers safety Ryan Clark, his “how many fingers? . . . Tuesday” shot on Pats receiver Wes Welker triggered a penalty. But there will be no fine.

Per the Boston Herald, NFL V.P. of officiating Mike Pereira says that Clark won’t have to pay for popping Welker.

“A lot of people think it’s a foul to leave your feet,” Pereira said. “Launching is not a foul. There is nothing in the rulebook that states that at all. It’s a misconception people have.

“It is a foul to hit with your helmet against a defenseless receiver. It is a foul to throw a forearm into the neck or head area of your opponent. I don’t think either of those things happened. I’m not a fan of those high hits but if you do it with your shoulder you’re OK.”

(Troy Polamalu says, “Holy crap.”)

Here’s the hit, which for some reason isn’t as much fun to watch now that we know it’s regarded as clean.

Smith22

Reaction score
The Panch;2459077 said:
That B-More defense is lookin scary. Especially their secondary. I fully expect Campbell to have a multiple INT day.

Their secondary is easily the weakest link on that defense. They are missing a starting corner and safety. You'd be better off paying attention to that front 7 on defense, especially the LB'ers.

adamknite

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2459239 said:
NO FINE FOR CLARK

Usually, a player makes a big hit in a game, draws no flag, and then later in the week receives a FedEx from the league office advising him of his involuntary contribution to one or more charities of the NFL’s choosing.

For Steelers safety Ryan Clark, his “how many fingers? . . . Tuesday” shot on Pats receiver Wes Welker triggered a penalty. But there will be no fine.

Per the Boston Herald, NFL V.P. of officiating Mike Pereira says that Clark won’t have to pay for popping Welker.

“A lot of people think it’s a foul to leave your feet,” Pereira said. “Launching is not a foul. There is nothing in the rulebook that states that at all. It’s a misconception people have.

“It is a foul to hit with your helmet against a defenseless receiver. It is a foul to throw a forearm into the neck or head area of your opponent. I don’t think either of those things happened. I’m not a fan of those high hits but if you do it with your shoulder you’re OK.”

Here’s the hit, which for some reason isn’t as much fun to watch now that we know it’s regarded as clean.

:rolleyes: Figures.... How many times did Woodson get fined for perfectly legal hits? I know I can think of a few.

NEW YORK (AP) _ Dallas Cowboys safety Darren Woodson was fined $75, 000 by the NFL on Wednesday for a hit on Seattle's Darrell Jackson, who had a seizure after the game and spent a night in the hospital.

The fine was announced after a league meeting at which commissioner Paul Tagliabue said the NFL will continue to take strong measures on hard and high hits on quarterbacks and receivers.
I guess the NFL changed their minds over the years?

MrMom

Reaction score
sacase;2459211 said:

WoodysGirl;2459239 said:
NO FINE FOR CLARK

:laugh2:

As an aside, IMO, I thought it was a clean shot. By the time Clark launched the ball was still in mid flight. Polamalu then deflected it, and Clark didn't see that part of the play. A BS call on Clark and I'm glad there is no fine.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
adamknite;2459251 said:
:rolleyes: Figures.... How many times did Woodson get fined for perfectly legal hits? I know I can think of a few.

I guess the NFL changed their minds over the years?

My 1st thoughts when I read that...if that was Woodson, he would be fined. Same with Roy Williams,or any Dallas player.

sacase

Reaction score
jazzcat22;2459275 said:
My 1st thoughts when I read that...if that was Woodson, he would be fined. Same with Roy Williams,or any Dallas player.

Wasn't that shot on the seattle reciever that sent him to the hospital called a legal hit? I thought they said it was just to hard so they fined him.

adamknite

Reaction score
sacase;2459482 said:
Wasn't that shot on the seattle reciever that sent him to the hospital called a legal hit? I thought they said it was just to hard so they fined him.

He got a 15 yard penalty for it and fined 1/10 of his salary. They said he "led with his head" despite the fact that it wasn't a helmet to helmet hit from what I remember.

The Panch

Reaction score
Smith22;2459250 said:
Their secondary is easily the weakest link on that defense. They are missing a starting corner and safety. You'd be better off paying attention to that front 7 on defense, especially the LB'ers.
They're #1 in the league in INTs, INTs returned for TDs, and lowest completion percentage. Obviously alot of that has to do the pressure, but they're secondary plays aggressive and moreso often than not, it pays off.

Smith22

Reaction score
The Panch;2459507 said:
They're #1 in the league in INTs, INTs returned for TDs, and lowest completion percentage. Obviously alot of that has to do the pressure, but they're secondary plays aggressive and moreso often than not, it pays off.

Pressure from the front 7. Rumor is McCalister is done as a Raven also. I'm positive they will look for help in the offseason at CB and WR.