U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By Seth Wickersham
ESPN The Magazine
(Archive)

Updated: November 28, 2008

Man, talk about wishful thinking. It was a month ago, a few hours after the Chargers had lost to the Bills 23-14, another game they should have won. A dozen or so players for what many consider the NFL's most talented team gathered around the bar in a restaurant at Buffalo Niagara International Airport.

LaDainian Tomlinson was there, and so were Philip Rivers, Antonio Gates and Shaun Phillips, among others. Looming was a trans-Atlantic flight to London, where they would play the Saints -- a flight that suddenly seemed a lot longer after the loss left San Diego 3-4. A round of drinks -- some alcoholic, some not -- was ordered, and the players held them up and toasted, "To 9-0."

Well, 9-0 disappeared a week later in a 37-23 loss to the Saints. And 8-0 was gone two weeks after that, with an 11-10 loss to Pittsburgh. And soon 6-0 was down the drain, too, after the Colts beat San Diego 23-20 at home. Now the Chargers' only salvation is that the AFC West is so terrible that at 4-7, one of the league's biggest underachievers is still playoff eligible.

"We're alive," GM A.J. Smith said this week.

Strange as San Diego's season has been, the Chargers also have been an example of the defining story of the year: the gap between the league's best coaches and the pretty good ones. Every team has faced adversity and injuries. The teams with the very best coaches have survived.

The Patriots lost the league's reigning MVP, Tom Brady, but Bill Belichick's team has gone 7-4 with Matt Cassel, who hadn't started a game since high school. Mike Shanahan has lost six tailbacks but has one-dimensional Denver limping along at 6-5, despite Sunday's 31-10 pasting at Invesco Field by the Raiders. Tom Coughlin has had the Giants ready every week, despite the fact that they are the defending champs and have played without standout defensive ends Michael Strahan (retirement) and Osi Umenyiora (knee injury) all season and without their top receiver and top tailback for stretches. This might be Tony Dungy's fourth-best Indianapolis team, but the Colts probably are playoff-bound. Pittsburgh can't protect Ben Roethlisberger, but Mike Tomlin still has the Steelers at 8-3. Jon Gruden and his Bucs lost Ernest Graham, last season's workhorse, and are 8-3.

Meanwhile, teams you'd figure would have the talent to overcome injuries -- hello, Chargers and Cowboys! -- have been hampered. Losing linebacker Shawne Merriman was a huge blow to the Chargers' defense. So was the loss of defensive end Luis Castillo. And Tomlinson hasn't been himself since injuring a toe. But San Diego's defense has been a mess, costing coordinator Ted Cottrell his job. Smith has been determined to build the Chargers through the draft, thus stockpiling depth, but Norv Turner, who reached the AFC title game last season -- his first as San Diego's coach -- hasn't been able to coach through those injuries to wins.
Same in Dallas. Be honest: Before the season, which team would you have said had a better quarterback situation, the Pats with Brady and Cassel, or Dallas with Tony Romo and Brad Johnson? Many would have said Dallas. But when Romo missed a month, Wade Phillips' Cowboys, despite being loaded with Pro Bowlers, could barely complete a pass.

Such underachieving naturally has led to speculation that Turner and Phillips should be fired. They shouldn't. Whom would ownership hire who would be better? The problem is, coaching is like any other profession. There are a lot of bad head coaches, guys who are glorified coordinators, like the Lions' Rod Marinelli. There are a few good ones, like Herm Edwards. And there are some really good ones and very few truly great ones. Turner and Phillips are really good but not among the top in their profession, at least not yet.

The Chargers, for their part, aren't only the league's most talented team. They also are the most snake-bitten. It started in Week 1, when the Panthers beat them at the buzzer. Then in Week 2 against Denver, there was the season's most infamous blown call: Jay Cutler's "incomplete pass" late in the fourth quarter. And it continued in Week 12 against the Colts, when on fourth down, a ref picked cornerback Quentin Jammer and Peyton Manning capitalized, hitting Marvin Harrison for a first down.

Turner has made his share of mistakes -- such as poor clock management at the end of the Colts game -- but the refs haven't helped him out. If the Chargers hope to make the playoffs, all Turner can do is overcome all the factors he can control and try to overcome those he can't. That's what the very best coaches do.

That, and maybe propose a toast to 5-0.

Seth Wickersham is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine and a columnist for ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=wickersham_seth&id=3731407

links18

Reaction score
Implying an equivalence between Dallas (8-4) and San Diego's (4-7) struggles seems a stretch.

Eskimo

Reaction score
I think he criticizes Phillips unfairly on the basis of a 1-2 record with BJ at QB. I doubt Belichek could have done much better with BJ as his starter. The fault here lies with Garrett and Jerry Jones for giving BJ another year after his disastrous performance in last year's finale.

If Garrett and Phillips both posess a fault, it is to favour experience over ability.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see no correlation between Dallas and San Diego whatsover other than the fact that both Turner and Phillips interviewed for the Dallas job when it was open. It's as if this article was written a month ago because if you assess the situation today, the Cowboys stock is clearly rising. San Diego not so much.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Last I checked, the Cowboys were 8-4 and were on the upswing.

We'll see.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Thats one idoitic comparison or maybe ill timed article. If Cowboys fail to make playoffs, he would have a point. But considering the injuries cowboys had to endure so far, they are doing way better than expected.

Giants apart from losing Osi, really haven't lost anyone else significant. Cowboys have lost more significant players than Giants overall now, especially all these 2-3 games players have been missing seemingly every week.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Great Chargers story. That guy must be Wade's one and only enemy. But not really knowing us I can see how they would criticize Wade. But he did get it right about Jason favoring Wade. And don't leave JJ out. He's the GM. He can't get too much credit without shoulderling some of the blame.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2451536 said:
Such underachieving naturally has led to speculation that Turner and Phillips should be fired. They shouldn't. Whom would ownership hire who would be better? The problem is, coaching is like any other profession. There are a lot of bad head coaches, guys who are glorified coordinators, like the Lions' Rod Marinelli. There are a few good ones, like Herm Edwards. And there are some really good ones and very few truly great ones. Turner and Phillips are really good but not among the top in their profession, at least not yet.
lolwut?

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Eskimo;2451560 said:
I think he criticizes Phillips unfairly on the basis of a 1-2 record with BJ at QB. I doubt Belichek could have done much better with BJ as his starter. The fault here lies with Garrett and Jerry Jones for giving BJ another year after his disastrous performance in last year's finale.

If Garrett and Phillips both posess a fault, it is to favour experience over ability.

Agreed. I'm not a big believer of Wade, but it's not his fault we were stuck with Brad Johnson. And I also don't hold him that accountable for the team performing so badly under Johnson considering he truly was bad of epic proportions.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
theogt;2451981 said:

Yeah, the whole head story is a real head scratcher. Like someone else said above, seems like they might have had this thing written following the Giants loss and just never got around to running it until now. Though even then, that doesn't excuse the Edwards reference.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Eskimo;2451560 said:

Woooh, if Belicheat was our coach Brad Johnson wouldn't be on the team. I bet we would have been 2-1 in that stretch because he wouldn't let the Rams beat us. We were so schocked that the Rams came to play it was ridiculous. The Giants game would have been closer. Belicheck knows how to adjust game plans on both sides of the ball regarding the game and team circumstances better than any other current head coach.

Wade and Garrett have come in with a plan and if we're not comfortable come half time they don't seem to know how to adjust and take it to the other teams. Yah the players in the past seemed a little tanked, which they did when other teams pushed back, but the coaches never seemed to change anything they were doing strategy wise either. You know, before Wade got the job I'd hear all the Charger's players talking about how he'd motivate them on defense and they'd feel like superman.

You hear Wade now and it's up to the players to motivate themselves totally. You hear the players on this team say it's up to them to be motivated. Yah, absolutely they have to be self motivated but there are things that happen in games, during the season that a player can't just deal with on their own. Someone else has to be their to convince them, give them that 2nd or 3rd push. That's why they have teammates and coaches. Listen, if Jerry thought motivating players wasn't an important characteristic for a head coach why would Jerry come down there on the field during games? He wants to lend support but also evaluate how the team is reacting, what their mindset, their motives (motivations) are in crunch time.

I am one who said if Wade had to get fired during the season that would indicate the season is in the tubes and we needed a change. I felt it would be disasterous and it would have been. Therefore I'm not saying fire Wade, I'm saying by season's end there may be some guys like Cowher, Spagnuolo that might need to be looked at. When we have some players that are a weak link, we look for upgrades as fans and as an organization. Our coaching staff does not seem to be an apparent strength for this team. They are an average coaching staff. Belicheck is the standard, big difference. Now San Diego got rid of Schott because the GM couldn't work with the guy. By no means is Norv Turner an upgrade from Schott. By the time they decided to move on without him there were no upgrades available to Schott, so they screwed themselves. Now Turner took them to the AFC championship game the following season and that's why he's still there. But if they don'tgo to the playoffs he's toast, Cowher won't be there though because he wants control and the GM there runs things and has the owner around his pinkie.

We probably wouldn't have lost to Washington or St. Louis with Belicheck. Arizona took it to us but it was awinnable game, we looked surprised and nonchallant there on defense. Romo was bruised and battered that game. That's a finesse team that physically beat us. I think we would have been at least 9-3 or 10-2 with a coach like Belicheck. That would give up the Arizona and absolutely the Giants games.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
ddh33;2451961 said:
There are some good ones, like Herm Edwards...

?

Yah, you think Herm threw him a little something for that? Absolute nonesense! Herm Edwards is probably the most overrated head coaching candidate in the league every 2 years. The guy can articulate and bring the spirits up but he doesn't have any strategy or game adjustment skills. He has done squat result wise as a head coach.

His light is dimming and I guarantee not many head coaches would even call on hm as a coordinator. He wouldn't take a coordinator job anyways cause he's a smart business man and only wants to keep that "I'm a head coach" perception out there. No strategy, no game adjustment and no player development skills. The best coaches can motivate, strategize, adjust during games and can develop players. That's what you want in a coach. That's why Lombardi, Chuck Knoll and Landry were so good. That's why Parcells was so good, that's why Belicheck is so good. Even Fischer can do it, he just has an owner who is tighter than a cricket's asss with his pocket.

Ren

Reaction score
I'm no fan of Phillips but what he's done with the D in the past few weeks deserves a lot of credit

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
links18;2451543 said:
Implying an equivalence between Dallas (8-4) and San Diego's (4-7) struggles seems a stretch.

Boyzmamacita;2451707 said:
I see no correlation between Dallas and San Diego whatsover other than the fact that both Turner and Phillips interviewed for the Dallas job when it was open.

RCowboyFan;2451716 said:
Thats one idoitic comparison or maybe ill timed article.

big dog cowboy;2451739 said:
:huh:

OK whatever.
:hammer: