ESPN wrong about Romo, Bledsoe

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
August 22, 2006
Tom Orsborn
Tom Orsborn is a sports writer for the San Antonio Express-News.

1 a.m. SHREVEPORT, La. — ESPN and other national media outlets would be wise to stop speculating that Tony Romo could supplant Drew Bledsoe as the Cowboys starting quarterback this season.

It's not going to happen. Just ask Pro Bowl tight end Jason Witten.

"Drew is our guy," Witten said.

And that's coming from one of Romo's best friends.

Make no mistake. Romo, a fourth-year player, has improved.

But he's no Bledsoe, a 14th-year player who ranks among the NFL's top 10 quarterbacks in career attempts (fifth), career completions (fifth) and career yards (43,447).

Sure, Romo is more mobile. But do you really think Bill Parcells is going to let Tony Romo, a quarterback who has never thrown a pass in a regular-season game, take over an offense that has the potential to be among the league's best?

Asked if there is any chance Bledsoe wouldn't be the starter when the Cowboys open the regular season at Jacksonville on Sept. 10, owner Jerry Jones said, "I've never heard any debate about that from anyone on our staff."

On Monday night, Bledsoe looked sharp in his first preseason action, completing 12-of-16 passes for 156 yards, two touchdowns and a 144.8 passer rating.

"When Drew has time to throw the ball, he's like a surgeon," Jones said. "He's really a fine quarterback."

Romo wasn't bad either against the hapless Saints, connecting on 6-of-8 passes for 138 yards, one TD and a 156.2 rating.

But Bledsoe faced the Saints' first-team defense in the first half. Romo went up against reserves.

"Well, I'm glad I got him more work," Parcells said of Romo, who took all the snaps in the Cowboys' 13-3 victory over Seattle on Aug. 12. "That's six quarters. I want to get him nine or 10 this preseason. We'll see what happens."

Basically, that's pretty much it. Romo is playing more this preseason because Parcells wants to give Jones and personnel director Jeff Ireland a chance to make an evaluation and then decide whether they need to acquire another quarterback.

Bledsoe, meanwhile, said he's oblivious to all the ESPN-generated talk of his downfall.

"I honestly haven't seen it, haven't heard it," Bledsoe said. "We've been locked down in training camp, man. I haven't heard anything. I've said this before and I will continue to say it, I'm really happy for Tony. He's been playing very, very well and in his fourth year he is demonstrating he can play in this league."

Witten says Romo's improved play has pushed Bledsoe to play a better.

"I think there's definitely a competition there," Witten said. "But I think Drew welcomes that. He knows what kind of quarterback he is."

Jones said Bledsoe's competitive nature was on display at practice last week following Romo's strong performance against Seattle.

"He had his best week of training camp last week," Jones said of Bledsoe. "I was standing out there with him (on the practice field) one day visiting and he said, 'Jerry, I'm your man.' Anybody that has red blood in his veins would be aware and sensitive about competition."

But Jones, like Witten, says Bledsoe is the Cowboys' guy.

"What do you need to see?" Jones said. "I saw him play six or seven ball games last year where he played about as good as anyone can play."

aikemirv

Reaction score
I thought that Jones quote was "when Drew delivers the ball on time" not "when Drew has time to deliver the ball".

Am I wrong?

goshan

Reaction score
Yes it was.
The key message they are giving Drew is get rid of the ball.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
ESPN wrong on the Cowboys?!? Who would've thunk it.

I'm not trying to pump the team or the organization into something they are not, but as Peter King once wrote, when in doubt write something about the Cowboys because people either love them or hate them.

All ESPN was trying to do was taking a stab at a possible QB controversy on the team that draws their shows ratings. The chances of Romo overtaking Bledsoe (barring injury) any time soon are slim and none. ESPN probably knew that, but it makes for a good story anyway and in their minds, why not take a stab at it.

YAKUZA

aikemirv

Reaction score
goshan said:
Yes it was.
The key message they are giving Drew is get rid of the ball.

It is funny really, because you can really tell that BP has had an impact on Jerry's football perspective in just the way he talks about players now.

KingTuna

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
ESPN wrong on the Cowboys?!? Who would've thunk it.

I'm not trying to pump the team or the organization into something they are not, but as Peter King once wrote, when in doubt write something about the Cowboys because people either love them or hate them.

All ESPN was trying to do was taking a stab at a possible QB controversy on the team that draws their shows ratings. The chances of Romo overtaking Bledsoe (barring injury) any time soon are slim and none. ESPN probably knew that, but it makes for a good story anyway and in their minds, why not take a stab at it.

YAKUZA

Just another episode of the media "creating" a story that never existed. Sadly happens TOO much during training camp.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
aikemirv said:
I thought that Jones quote was "when Drew delivers the ball on time" not "when Drew has time to deliver the ball".

Am I wrong?

You're right on the quote. And it's a hugely different message.

JMead

Reaction score
Alot has to happen for a QB to throw the ball on time though. The WRs have to get open quickly and the line has to give the QB and the WRs enough time so the play can develope. That happened against the Saints.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Never any doubt in my mind that Bledsoe will start........but, it is good to see we have an option when things are not going good......right?