Recap: ESPND Archer Chat Wrap - 07/09/14

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
d (Queens Village)

What is reason Cowboys like to hold TC in Oxnard instead of team facility or another part of Texas?

Todd Archer
(12:01 PM)

The weather. You can accomplish a lot more in the cooler temperatures out there than you can in the sizzling Texas heat. Tom Landry started this way back when when they practiced in Thousand Oaks. They might've trained some in Oregon, too. And there's a bonding deal that coaches like to talk about when a team gets away. I think some of this will change when the Cowboys open their new practice facility in 2016. Maybe they don't go away for as long and use the new indoor place as their new camp site.

Tim (Kentucky)

With some injury luck, do you believe the 2014 Cowboys offense will be top 5 in the league?

Todd Archer
(12:04 PM)

Well they were third in scoring offense last year, averaging 27.8 points per game. Maybe you're talking yards. I think top 10 is more likely. Last year they were just 22nd in yards. They were bad on third down and couldn't stay on the field. They've got a lot of ways to beat defenses, especially if the offensive line plays as well as the coaches think it can play.

Ryan S. (York, PA)

Fact or Fiction: The Dallas Cowboys will host a playoff game this season.

Todd Archer
(12:05 PM)

Fiction. I don't see them winning the division as of today, so that's my answer. Maybe that changes as we go along in camp but it's hard to see anything other than 8-8.

Joe (Connecticut)

Other than being a first round pick Brandon Weeden has not done much more on the field than Caleb Hanie. Will Hanie be given a fair shot at the backup spot?

Todd Archer
(12:06 PM)

I don't think so. Honestly, I think Orton will show up to camp, which might mean Hanie doesn't get to show what he can do in camp. I don't know if the Cowboys would keep five QBs in camp. That being said, Hanie did have some good moments in the spring. But it's clear the Cowboys want Weeden to be the backup of the future if not the present.

Erik (PA)

Say for the sake of argument Mo has a decent year along with Carter. If Jerry decides to re-sign both of them, how do you see their contracts looking? Length? Guaranteed$$?

Todd Archer
(12:09 PM)

Tough call, but with Claiborne they could just pick up the fifth-year option. That would be a lot of money, but they could be able to do it. I wouldn't commit long-term to him until I see him have top seasons in back to back years. As for Carter, I once thought he was a foundation-type player. Now I just think he might be a tease. Tremendous athlete but something is missing from making it all work. if he has a decent year, then I'd think about (stress think about) a three-year deal at maybe $10 million total. Remember, he didn't do much as a rookie, had a solid 11-game season in year 2 and struggled last year. I don't know if people will be lining up for him off one "decent" season.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/50868/cowboys-with-todd-archer

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
That's weak, Archer. Only 8-8? Be a real man and predict 6-10.