Recap: ESPND Todd Archer Chat Wrap - 06/13/04

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Everyone has improved their Spaghetti, while Dallas is finally catching up to the curve on the trench game after literally Decades, but now the off speed high inside meatball is effective with Jerry limp noodle at the plate.

Hot Dog, Dallas doesn't have enough sauce on their pitches anymore they are getting road outta town like garlic breath running home across the street to Rangers Stadium. Good thing the neighbors set the bar just as low on the mechanically separated chicken parts and other ingredients that are best left unanswered.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Continuity in the scheme will allow players to feel more comfortable in this Defense and will allow for "natural" progression or improvement from last season. This only applies to the current D, not RR's?

Fredd

Reaction score
Why? There's no on the field evidence that could/should influence you either way. I'd at least like to wait until Training Camp before even making a guess.

The only thing that TC could tell me is if they are healthy to start the season...that would influence my guess (in a negative way). Otherwise, the offense is stronger and the defense, if nothing else, should have a better DL rotation and another year under the belt of young players like Holloman, Mo, and Wilcox to name a few....also, doesn't the media get paid to make these types of statements?

waving monkey

Reaction score
Archer doesn't keep up with things in the CZ much does he?

One big thing that these analyist people don't get about Ware was his contract situation. We didn't just cut him because he getting hurt more often or his production dropped.
The move to fire Ryan, hire Kiffin, and move to a 4-3 helped contribute, if not lead directly, to fielding one of the worst defenses in NFL history. Regardless of what I initially thought of the Ryan hire (i was not a fan) I think it was one of the worst decisions of the Post Parcells era and I don't see how anyone can argue against that given the results.

So after one season the Kiffen defense is the worst int he history of the NFL? One season? It did field the worst one season start up defense. But wait were there not some mitigating circumstances?

daveferr33

Reaction score
So after one season the Kiffen defense is the worst int he history of the NFL? One season? It did field the worst one season start up defense. But wait were there not some mitigating circumstances?

Yes. As you seem to admit. The mitigating circumstances (here you are referring to injuries I assume) were similar to those faced in Ryan's last year.

Let me put it this way. If the decision to change the defense (coordinator and scheme) had resulted in a top ten defense, we would all be singing the praises of Jones and Garrett and their genius insight to dismiss Ryan and bring in a new regime. The opposite occurred, so the importance of that decision must now be downplayed (or as you prefer) mitigated by circumstances beyond their control.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I will never understand what the rush is to cut Johnson until we get into training camp and preseason when he will either prove wether or not he can stay healthy.

He is taking up space that someone else could be using. You know, someone who can walk under their own power.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Yes. As you seem to admit. The mitigating circumstances (here you are referring to injuries I assume) were similar to those faced in Ryan's last year.

Let me put it this way. If the decision to change the defense (coordinator and scheme) had resulted in a top ten defense, we would all be singing the praises of Jones and Garrett and their genius insight to dismiss Ryan and bring in a new regime. The opposite occurred, so the importance of that decision must now be downplayed (or as you prefer) mitigated by circumstances beyond their control.

one season? and its the worst NFL team in history? boy

daveferr33

Reaction score
one season? and its the worst NFL team in history? boy

That is not what I said, and I believe you know it. Show me where I said it was the "worst NFL team in history."

I said they fielded one of the worst defenses in NFL history--the 2013 Defense, which ranked last in the league in total defense, allowing 418.6 yards per game. They also set franchise records for total yards allowed (6,279) and passing yards allowed (4,360). So yes, that is historically bad.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Defense: this sis what Rynn had to work with 2012

CB – Morris Claiborne, Orlando Scandrick, Mario Butler

FS – Gerald Sensabaugh, Danny McCray, Matt Johnson

OLB – DeMarcus Ware, Alex Albright

ILB – Sean Lee

DE – Kenyon Coleman, Tyrone Crawford

DT – Jay Ratliff, Sean Lissemore, Josh Brent

DE – Jason Hatcher, Marcus Spears

ILB – Bruce Carter, Dan Connor

OLB – Anthony Spencer, Victor Butler, Kyle Wilber

SS – Barry Church, Mana Silva

CB – Brandon Carr, Mike Jenkins
That is not what I said, and I believe you know it. Show me where I said it was the "worst NFL team in history."

I said they fielded one of the worst defenses in NFL history--the 2013 Defense, which ranked last in the league in total defense, allowing 418.6 yards per game. They also set franchise records for total yards allowed (6,279) and passing yards allowed (4,360). So yes, that is historically bad.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score

ILB – Sean Lee

Most of those guys were injured for large stretches of the season.

waving monkey

Reaction score

ILB – Sean Lee

Most of those guys were injured for large stretches of the season.

I know many were injured but the team was a little more healthy. Maybe we can have a healthier team this year.
This team is getting better and it will be better next year.