ESPNDallas: Crayton earns NFC special teams honor

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
October 27, 2009, 3:39 PM

By: ESPNDallas.com staff

Patrick Crayton, who had lost his job as a kick returner entering Sunday's game vs. Atlanta, was named the NFC special teams player of the week.

After newly acquired punt returner Allen Rossum suffered an injured hamstring early in the game, Crayton returned three punts for 87 yards, including a 73-yard punt return for a touchdown -- the first punt return for a score in his career.

It also marked the Cowboys' first punt return for a touchdown since Terence Newman's 56-yard score vs. Detroit in 2006, and the Cowboys' longest punt return since Deion Sanders' 76-yard return vs. Indianapolis during the 1999 season.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Hypnotoad;3041298 said:
must have been a slow week

Sometimes a little hype helps. "Benched" player steps in and hits a home run ... that's worth some pity points.

twentytwo

Reaction score
Sure he had wide open lanes to run through, but I thought it was pretty awesome to see him return it, and it's great that he got player of the week. He was benched in two ways in one week, so I know that touchdown made him feel great.

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
I've hated Crayton for some time now as a returner. To me he approached punts like he was wearing a white suit on his way to church and the ball was covered in dog-do.

But kudos to the man for last Sunday. He didn't pout about getting benched, but stepped it up a notch.

Keep up the good work.

Venger

Reaction score
You know, it was almost like he had nothing left to lose - it wasn't in his head anymore, because being benched from returns and demoted in the WR lineup maybe got him to just go out and play football. No dicey run up to the punt, he got there, caught that sumbich, and ran it untouched to the yard.

Sometimes, folks just need a reset.

And if it keeps us from seeing Newman back there, then I am all for it.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Venger;3041554 said:
You know, it was almost like he had nothing left to lose - it wasn't in his head anymore, because being benched from returns and demoted in the WR lineup maybe got him to just go out and play football. No dicey run up to the punt, he got there, caught that sumbich, and ran it untouched to the yard.

Sometimes, folks just need a reset.

And if it keeps us from seeing Newman back there, then I am all for it.
I actually like the idea of having both back there. The other guy can get any muffs and can block the first defender down.