Europass: Quarterbacks start to shine By Mike Carlson

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Europass: Quarterbacks start to shine
9110.jpg
By Mike Carlson
Special to NFL.com

(April 4, 2006) -- The offenses are starting to catch up in NFL Europe. The teams combined to score a respectable 122 points last weekend. Runners are slowing down; Frankfurt's Roger Robinson missed his third straight 100-yard game by just 5 yards last week, despite breaking a 66-yard touchdown on his first carry. Amsterdam held him to 13 of 29 the rest of the way.
img9357178.jpg
Amsterdam's Gibran Hamdan was near flawless in leading his team to victory. The passers are picking up: Gibran Hamdan turned in a near-perfect day -- 12 of 15 for 189 yards and three TDs. Hamburg's James Killian put all 17 of his team's points on the board in the second quarter of their tie with Berlin, with a 10 of 15 110 yard and two TDs performance.
Defense, however, has been the key to the undefeated Rhein Fire, who've grabbed pole position in the standings. But even though the 'D' has allowed only 16 points in its first three games, with Rhein in first place attention is going to fall on Dallas Cowboys' Drew Henson, the league's highest-profile player. Henson so far has been efficient, rather than spectacular. That's just the way coach Jim Tomsula wants it.
"He's doing a nice job," says Tomsula. "He works hard, has no ego. We've asked him to avoid mistakes, but in Week 2, he also made a big play to the 'Z' man (Zuriel Smith)." Recalling that Henson asked the Cowboys to send him to Europe, Tomsula adds, "I'm pulling for anyone willing to earn it."
Logan applies the polish

One reason Dallas was willing to send Henson to Rhein was the presence of offensive coordinator Steve Logan. Logan had been the quarterbacks coach at Berlin, where Tomsula was defensive coordinator, for the past two seasons. In 2004, Berlin QB Rohan Davey was the league's offensive MVP as the Thunder won the World Bowl title. Last year, Berlin QB Dave Ragone took MVP honors as the Thunder lost the World Bowl to Amsterdam.
Is Steve Logan the league's quarterback guru?
"I'm no guru," he laughed, when the question was put to him in camp. "I just try not to screw them up."
Modesty aside, there is a pattern to Logan's success, and it involves getting back to basics. "I'm not one of those guys who's going to try to change someone's mechanics, redo their throwing. Really, it's about simplifying the game, getting the passer to concentrate on what his feet does and where his eyes goes, and keeping the two in sync."
A little history backs up what Logan's talking about. As the successful head coach at East Carolina from 1992 to 2002, Logan sent Jeff Blake and David Garrard to the NFL, both mobile big-armed quarterbacks who thrived within his system. But East Carolina produced two more quarterbacks who played in NFL Europe -- Marcus Crandall and Dan Gonzalez. Their experience reinforced the value of Logan's coaching.
img9357179.jpg
Steve Logan likes to stick to the basics in developing young QBs. In 2000 in Scotland, Crandall thrived in relief of Kevin Daft, who set a league record (since broken) by throwing 147 straight passes without an interception. Coach Jim Criner liked the contrast. "Marcus could ignite a team with his arm or feet," he said. "But he thrived because our offense kept things simple, reads quick." Crandall missed Scotland's World Bowl loss in 2000, then went on to have some big years in the CFL.
In 1999, Dan Gonzalez looked like a world beater in training camp for Amsterdam. Then, when the season started for real, coach Al Luginbill remembered, "It was like the lights went off." In retrospect, you can almost see Gonzalez losing his rhythm, then his confidence. He lost the starting job, as the Admirals struggled to 4-6. Gonzalez also spent some time in the CFL as a backup.
"Coaching does matter," says Logan. "But it's the players who make it." That's what he likes about his work in Europe. "A college head coach is administering a multi-million dollar business. That's what I don't miss. What I love here is you have guys who are committed to giving it their best shot. There's no motivational problems. I'm back to doing what I do best, which is helping guys get the best from their own ability.
"It's not always the same way," he continues. "Remember two years ago in Berlin, we ran two-back, even with Rohan's arm. You sometimes want to get out of that pass-happy mind-set, and it makes your passing game better."
Davey seemed to many observers the best quarterback talent to come out of NFL Europe, but he was cut by the Patriots last season. He's since signed with Arizona. "You have to remember, it's a situational thing," says Logan. "Sometimes it's no reflection on your talent, and you just need to find the right place and time to show it."
For Drew Henson, that place and time is Europe. "He just needs experience," says Logan. "Snaps, reps, it's the same story. The talent is there, the desire is there, and the attitude is there." Logan smiles again. "If I don't screw him up, he's gonna make me look good again."
Tomsula agrees. "We haven't asked Drew to go out and win a game for us yet, we haven't had to," he says. "But you know this league. Sooner or later, we will. And I don't doubt that he'll do it."

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
For Drew Henson, that place and time is Europe. "He just needs experience," says Logan. "Snaps, reps, it's the same story. The talent is there, the desire is there, and the attitude is there." Logan smiles again. "If I don't screw him up, he's gonna make me look good again."
Tomsula agrees. "We haven't asked Drew to go out and win a game for us yet, we haven't had to," he says. "But you know this league. Sooner or later, we will. And I don't doubt that he'll do it."

Logan is the best thing to happen for Drew in 2 years. I like his confidence in Drew.

vicjagger

Reaction score
Really, it's about simplifying the game, getting the passer to concentrate on what his feet does and where his eyes goes, and keeping the two in sync."

What dialect is this?

juice28

Reaction score
I played DB for Steve Logan, so I'll be the first to tell you he knows the QB position hands down. As a head coach, he was alright, but he was (IMO) too offensive minded. He was great with David, even though we knew he would go pro the minute he walked through the door. He was bigger than most of our lineman and faster than most of our RBs.

I did not realize he was coaching in NFLEL but trust me, Henson is in good hands.

acheman

Reaction score
Any way we can get him a job in the Dallas organization?

I just try not to screw them up."
Modesty aside, there is a pattern to Logan's success, and it involves getting back to basics. "I'm not one of those guys who's going to try to change someone's mechanics, redo their throwing."

Sounds like just the man we have been looking for at the Ranch, as far as a QB coach.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
juice28 said:
I played DB for Steve Logan, so I'll be the first to tell you he knows the QB position hands down. As a head coach, he was alright, but he was (IMO) too offensive minded. He was great with David, even though we knew he would go pro the minute he walked through the door. He was bigger than most of our lineman and faster than most of our RBs.

I did not realize he was coaching in NFLEL but trust me, Henson is in good hands.

Thanks for that insight man. So far so good for Henson. He is mostly efficient, with 2-3 really good plays a game, that makes you say, thats what I am talking about and that which says, he can be a good one in NFL.

As far as Rohan Davey is concerned, I was never impressed with him College at all. He passing left a lot to be disired in College, which is opposite of what Henson was in College. So I think both are different type of QBs.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Thanks for that insight man. So far so good for Henson. He is mostly efficient, with 2-3 really good plays a game, that makes you say, thats what I am talking about and that which says, he can be a good one in NFL.

As far as Rohan Davey is concerned, I was never impressed with him College at all. He passing left a lot to be disired in College, which is opposite of what Henson was in College. So I think both are different type of QBs.

I always thought we should have drafted Davey.

If we had, out OL problem would be solved by now.:laugh2:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
juice28 said:

I appreciate you sharing this with us. Did not know you played with Garrard. I wonder if he'll get a shot to start with someone.

Good info on Logan.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
juice28 said:

Thanks for the personal note. I wondered whatever happened to Logan.

I knew that Henson ending up with the Rhein Fire was not an accident. That was planned out before they ever said Henson was going to Europe.

I've always been concerned about the quality of QB coaching Drew was getting with the Cowboys. David Lee did not seem to have the resume to be given the job of developing a green, inexperienced QB to play in the NFL.

Hopefully, Drew will continue to progress over the next couple of months and we can look back on his time in Europe as being the key to his development.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
Thanks for the personal note. I wondered whatever happened to Logan.

I knew that Henson ending up with the Rhein Fire was not an accident. That was planned out before they ever said Henson was going to Europe.

I've always been concerned about the quality of QB coaching Drew was getting with the Cowboys. David Lee did not seem to have the resume to be given the job of developing a green, inexperienced QB to play in the NFL.

Hopefully, Drew will continue to progress over the next couple of months and we can look back on his time in Europe as being the key to his development.

Agree, I am sure most of the cowboys fan will agree with that. I don't care about stats, just want to see him play comfortably and make good decisions most of the time, just like he used to when he played for Michigan.

I am sure some fans will be stuck up on Stats, but thats never trully the measure of good QB. It is one of the tools not end all.

cowboynDC

Reaction score
Quality coaching in game situations, even if it isn't the NFL will help him develope, and build his confidence. He needs the reps under center in live play - practice no matter how intense is still practice.

juice28

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I appreciate you sharing this with us. Did not know you played with Garrard. I wonder if he'll get a shot to start with someone.

Good info on Logan.

I try not to bring his name up too much when the QB question arises here, but it would have been a dream come true to have him in a Dallas uni. However, last time I talked to him (two years ago), he was content in JAX. Fans were good to him and he understands the business.

I'm more impressed with Coach Logan. He didn't leave Greenville under the best terms. Hopefully he can land a coaching job in the NFL somewhere.

BTW, in case you wondering,....yes Terrance Copper is my favorite Cowboy. :D

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
juice28 said:
I try not to bring his name up too much when the QB question arises here, but it would have been a dream come true to have him in a Dallas uni. However, last time I talked to him (two years ago), he was content in JAX. Fans were good to him and he understands the business.

I'm more impressed with Coach Logan. He didn't leave Greenville under the best terms. Hopefully he can land a coaching job in the NFL somewhere.

BTW, in case you wondering,....yes Terrance Copper is my favorite Cowboy. :D
Actually, I was going to ask you that and then deleted it.

I like Garrard a lot, but I'm a Lefty fan. I'd like to see Garrard move on. He played well enough last year when Lefty was hurt that I think he'll get a shot.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
juice28 said:

Great info...thank you for sharing. I'll take efficiency first rather than spectacular. Efficiency will spon spectacular.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
At the ranch a guy(jheiser3) posted info from this article from the American Football Coaches association written by Steve Logan. His #1 thing he teaches a qb is never take a sack, which Henson obviously has adhered to.

The Multidimensional Passing Game - by Steve Logan*
From Offensive Football Strategies by American Football Coaches Association

The following is a brief discussion of the purpose and utilization of the five basic packages We use to attack defenses. It is important to this discussion to bear in mind that our philosophy is throw first, then run.

We begin our installation of the passing game with our three-step drop package. We have 10 different three-step route packages accessible to the QB at the LOS. We train our QB to use certain route combinations versus certain coverage looks. This gives us easy completions, allows us to control the coverages we see, and, more important, allows our offensive linemen to cut the defensive linemen in an aggressive manner. The three-step is used extensively in our coming out and going in offense.

The next installation is our five-step game, which is very extensive in terms of number of routes and protection schemes. We will generally release receivers with this package and read the whole field. This will be a hot throw for the QB versus the blitz. This is how we attempt to move the chains with a 10- to 12-yard route thrown on rhythm. The pass protection here is, again, very aggressive. We want the fight to be on the LOS with the expectation that the ball will be gone in 2.5 to 2.9 seconds.

The last dropback package installed will be the seven-step. When we use this method, we employ a seven-man protection that will double-team a defense’s three best pass rushers. We think we can extend the routes to the 16- to 18-yard depth now. It will take 3.5 to 3.9 seconds to get the ball thrown, so that is why we double-team the pass rush. Many times we will employ a half-field package for the QB to work with. The trade-off is that we lose control of some of the underneath coverage, but this can be overcome by the depth of the routes, those routes being deep in cuts, deep comebacks, or deep choices. We will use this method in third-and-long situations, expected blitz situations, or anytime we are experiencing protection problems.

The next category is the play-action pass, which includes the nakeds. This is the single best way to throw the football. This method of throwing the ball will strip underneath coverage, give you a high completion percentage, help your run game, move the QB, and help your offensive line. We spend most of our time researching and designing play-action passes. We may throw only 10 to 12 out of an average of 38 throws per game, but this package sustains every other facet of our offense. The other critical element in this package is that we will double-team the five tech rusher or the three tech rusher in an aggressive run blocking manner. This is an early down call for us, usually coupled with an audible. We have found through experience that we can and will throw play actions into exactly the looks that we desire.

The last category, but by no means the least important, is our sprint pass. Here again, we want to move the QB away from pressure. We can employ 10- to 12-yard routes or go to extended routes. It is always wise to utilize the sprint when you have been sacked or pressured. We will again utilize three different types of sprint protection to enhance our offensive lineÕs aggressiveness.

In a discussion of the passing game, it is impossible to ignore the teaching and training of the QB. I would submit the following for consideration, as I have found these items very constructive in the development of a QB.

1. Never take a sack. This is the single worst thing that can happen to an offense from a functional as well as a morale standpoint. Learn how to throw the ball away.

2. The QB must throw against the blitz every day. Throwing under pressure is not natural and must be rehearsed over and over.

3. Set up a quality protection system so your QB is assured he will never get a free rusher in his face. We also convince the QB that he can take a five-step hit-and-throw drop and get the ball gone before any outside rusher can sack him.

4. Know where your hot receiver is, presnap.

5. During skeleton drills, take a five-receiver route and have your QB progress normally, then backward through the progression. Debrief your QB after each throw; ask him what he saw.

6. Encourage spontaneity in a veteran QB who knows your system, but discourage spontaneity in a new or young QB.

7. Study great players on film. It is important to emulate men who have taken the QB position and made it an art form: Dan Marino, John Elway, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Troy Aikman.

8. Separation from the LOS is the single most important fundamental to be achieved in the making of a QB. On a three-step drop, we separate four yards and release the ball 1.9 seconds after the snap. We try to get seven-and-a-half yards in 1.6 seconds from snap to hit of the fifth step. Our seven-step drop is 10 yards deep in 1.9 seconds from snap to the hit of the seventh step. Again, the separation drill is rehearsed over and over until this becomes a subconscious activity for the QB.
http://www.humankinetics.com/products/showexcerpt.cfm?excerpt_id=2866

Galian Beast

Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
At the ranch a guy(jheiser3) posted info from this article from the American Football Coaches association written by Steve Logan. His #1 thing he teaches a qb is never take a sack, which Henson obviously has adhered to.

http://www.humankinetics.com/products/showexcerpt.cfm?excerpt_id=2866

Best post I've ever seen... Hopefully he can bring Henson up to speed in a general sense. I think the approach he is taking with Henson is great. NFL Europe might have been the best thing for him when coupled with this guy. I'm not a big NFLE supporter, but just getting henson up to speed with basics, and the way of playing at a high level... I'm for it.

You can see Henson really adhering to what Steve Logan wants in a quarterback. He throws it away fairly often, when he doesn't see anything rather than trying to force balls in. And he uses his mobility to not take sacks. It doesn't matter that we haven't gotten the long ball going with Henson yet. That will come when it needs to.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Another good thing about Logan and NFL Europe it gives Henson really a chance to learn how to play football again. Not really the same situation he was in, here in Dallas. While he is able to practice, he really isn't being taught stuff like that. He is going to work with the QB coach, but he isn't going to get real hands on learning, most of the time is dedicated to the starter.