Even in most of our highest expectations, we'd have been eliminated today anyway

Jayinem

Reaction score
When we got the #2 seed many thought we'd make the NFC Championship game, but very few thought we'd actually beat SF and go to the Super Bowl. So we'd be done tonight instead of two weeks ago. Yes i know it's better to make the NFC Championship but we were never true contenders.

That's why I'm in favor of blowing it up get rid of the coach and QB but obviously the Jones' see it differently. Big shock. We're a team going no where fast but because of those 12 win regular seasons nothing is changing.

nobody

Reaction score
Honestly, once we got #2 seed, it was guaranteed we wouldn't have to face SF until the NFC Championship, I thought we'd make it that far and get dominated by the 49ers again. But the Cowboys couldn't even muster the guts or determination to even beat a 7th seed.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Get a new coach, get a new QB, it's not like that hasn't been tried over the last 28 years. The same 2 guys will be doing the shopping. Buyer beware.
One thing that I found particularly disturbing about this year's flameout was McCarthy's comment about "you do what got you there". There was minimal evidence of any gameplanning for the Green Bay game. In many of the bad losses this year, the team was tactically outcoached. This is very reminiscent of Garrett's "beat your man" philosophy that yielded similar results.

At this point, I kind of think that Jerry and his boy specifically pick out coaches that don't believe in tactical adjustments. The dynasty Cowboys had a small playbook. For some reason, I think that the lesson learned there was that simple is good.

The end result here is that I think that Dallas is always going to get outcoached in big games while the Jones boys are in charge.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Get a new coach, get a new QB, it's not like that hasn't been tried over the last 28 years. The same 2 guys will be doing the shopping. Buyer beware.
wrong. and wrong.

we have had QBs. we have changed many coaches.

get a new GM. you have no chance othterwise.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As I said mid season, while some were breaking out all the anointing oils. Wait till we face some decent teams towards the end of the season and the playoffs.

You see, some things never change.

Asklesko

Reaction score
49ers were vulnerable this year. With half a sack, we could have taken 'em down.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
When we got the #2 seed many thought we'd make the NFC Championship game, but very few thought we'd actually beat SF and go to the Super Bowl. So we'd be done tonight instead of two weeks ago. Yes i know it's better to make the NFC Championship but we were never true contenders.

That's why I'm in favor of blowing it up get rid of the coach and QB but obviously the Jones' see it differently. Big shock. We're a team going no where fast but because of those 12 win regular seasons nothing is changing.
Don’t forget how long Jason Garrett coached this team.

sbark

Reaction score
HC knew SFran would make a run, needed TD’s
Goff was on a roll
Several key drops, couple wr didn’t run thru the ball for a td
Purdy running was the diff,

J. Gibbs fumble started the big mo change....happened right after a Frisco TD, game really swung

Hadenough

Reaction score
They haven't had a premier QB since Aikman. Every QB they have been trying to build around has had a limited ceiling either mentally or physically.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
One thing that I found particularly disturbing about this year's flameout was McCarthy's comment about "you do what got you there". There was minimal evidence of any gameplanning for the Green Bay game. In many of the bad losses this year, the team was tactically outcoached. This is very reminiscent of Garrett's "beat your man" philosophy that yielded similar results.

At this point, I kind of think that Jerry and his boy specifically pick out coaches that don't believe in tactical adjustments. The dynasty Cowboys had a small playbook. For some reason, I think that the lesson learned there was that simple is good.

The end result here is that I think that Dallas is always going to get outcoached in big games while the Jones boys are in charge.
In the 90's they lined up and just beat their man. Simple...simple playbook too.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
In the 90's they lined up and just beat their man. Simple...simple playbook too.
Yup, all Dallas has to do is get the NFL to revoke free agency and salary cap rules and get Minnesota to give them 15 draft picks for Tony Pollard and let the titles roll in.

Jokes aside, the playbook was simple on offense but it required a ton of reads. Emmitt had to read holes. Troy and Irvin had to be on the same page. Basically, the players reacted to the defense and adjusted to it accordingly in real time. If Irvin saw zone, he sat down. Inside leverage? Run an out. Etc. A single pass route had a ton of options. There were adjustments made and the required skill and timing was significant.

On defense Wannstedt was one of the first guys to run zone blitzes. He also rotated personnel on the line and did mixed coverages. On defense, the coaching was ahead of its time.

In an era where everyone plays under the same salary cap, little things give you the edge. Games are a chess match and Jerry doesn't seem to care or realize it.

rags747

Reaction score
Agreed. We do not have the young talent that Detroit has, nowhere close and SF has freaking LB’s that we can only dream about.

tomsanders921

Reaction score
They haven't had a premier QB since Aikman. Every QB they have been trying to build around has had a limited ceiling either mentally or physically.
The cowboys had 2 first round picks in 2005. With the 11th pick, they drafted ware. With the 20th pick, they drafted Marcus spears. Aaron Rodgers was the 2nd QB selected in that draft. He was drafted with the 24th pick. I remember watching and everyone was surprised he was falling so far.

Dallas decided not to draft him, even though their starting QB was an aging drew bledsoe.

At that point, Jerry could have changed the course of the franchise. But for some reason, he doesn't want to use a 1st on a QB, even though almost every QB that wins a Superbowl was a first round pick.

Eddie

Reaction score
NFC CG appearance would have been a successful season to build off of.

Eddie

Reaction score
The cowboys had 2 first round picks in 2005. With the 11th pick, they drafted ware. With the 20th pick, they drafted Marcus spears. Aaron Rodgers was the 2nd QB selected in that draft. He was drafted with the 24th pick. I remember watching and everyone was surprised he was falling so far.

Dallas decided not to draft him, even though their starting QB was an aging drew bledsoe.

At that point, Jerry could have changed the course of the franchise. But for some reason, he doesn't want to use a 1st on a QB, even though almost every QB that wins a Superbowl was a first round pick.
Drew Brees was available ... twice. First time Jerry gave away our 1st round for Joey Gagaway. Second time, Brees was a FA and we decided to keep Drew Bleedslow and sent Brees to NO with Sean Payton.