Even T.O.'s mother surprised by his lack of reactions on sideline

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=7334015

Associated Press - November 8, 2007 8:15 PM ET

IRVING, Texas (AP) - Even Terrell Owens' mother has been surprised by what she's seen when watching her son play this season.

"She thinks something is wrong with me because I am not reacting to a whole lot," Owens said.

Television cameras are seemingly always pointed at Owens on the sideline when Dallas plays. So far this season, with the Cowboys (7-1) tied for the NFC lead and Owens a big part of the success, there haven't been any significant outbursts to see.

Even off the field, there have been no scintillating comments or over-the-top antics.

Before Dallas played New England last month, Owens didn't even speak to the media before the game. Instead of the usually talkative receiver, reporters found a poster-sized note hanging in his locker that said he wouldn't talk until afterward "due to the magnitude" of the game and expected questions about Randy Moss.

Owens has certainly been more measured in his approach this season.

"I don't like sitting here giving an interview and have to go home and see something that I have said has been blown out of proportion," Owens said this week. "It's always the story the next day and it's something my teammates have to answer throughout the course of the week leading up to a game. I am just trying to eliminate that."

Owens is coming off his best game in his two seasons with Dallas, a 10-catch, 174-yard performance Sunday night at Philadelphia, his former team that nearly two years to the date had banished him before eventually releasing him.

The Cowboys play Sunday at the New York Giants, a rematch of the season opener in which Owens had three catches for 87 yards and two TDs in a 45-35 victory.

At the midpoint of the season, Owens has 44 catches for 730 yards and six touchdowns.

"For me, it was really to come in with a renewed sense of focus. Not urgency, but I knew that in order for this team to get where it needs to be, I needed to play better," Owens said. "Going into games, I tried to bring my level of focus up, and obviously it's been paying off."

As far as being a teammate, Owens said he's been the "same kind of guy in the locker room." And quarterback Tony Romo says that's T.O. being a good teammate.

"I trust him and the fact that he's going to try and get open every play and help us score touchdowns," Romo said. "He just wants to win and be a great player. It's not really all that different than most any guy in here really. He's just more vocal once in a while."

NO MORE TICKETS:mad: Texas Stadium is sold out - for the rest of this year and next season, the last before the Cowboys move into their new stadium.

The team announced Thursday that it has already sold out the 65,529-seat stadium for every game in 2008 through season ticket sales. All tickets for the 2007 season were sold by July.

It is the first time the Cowboys have sold out the entire season in advance through season ticket sales.

After the 2008 season, the Cowboys are moving from Texas Stadium to a $1 billion stadium under construction in Arlington. The new facility, which will be able to accommodate up to 100,000 fans, will host Super Bowl XLV in February 2011.

There have been 140 consecutive games sold out at Texas Stadium, including playoffs, since December 1990. That number will increase by at least 12, since the Cowboys have four more regular season games this season and eight in 2008.

Texas Stadium, built for $35 million, opened in 1971.

ONE-LINERS:mad: A sampling of comments heard at Valley Ranch this week:

"Sizzle, that's kind of a funny word actually. That makes you think I'm in a relationship or something. The sizzle has kind of been taken out." - quarterback Tony Romo, asked how important it was for the Cowboys to keep winning and "keep the sizzle going."

"Oh yeah, I did (like it). It was neat." - tight end Jason Witten, talking about watching the video of him gaining 30 more yards after his helmet got knocked off last week in Philadelphia.

"No, no, never have (been). But just in case, I don't want to change anything." - coach Wade Phillips, when asked if he is superstitious.

"Maybe I need to get like Barry Bonds." - Terrell Owens, when it was suggested that maybe he could put a big recliner in the locker room.

QUICK HITS:mad: The Cowboys aren't bothered by playing away from home. They are going for their eighth straight regular-season road victory Sunday at the New York Giants. "When you say how hard it is to win on the road, you're giving them excuses," coach Wade Phillips said. It's their longest such streak since also winning seven in a row from 1993-94. The team record is 10 in a row from 1968-69. ... Tank Johnson won't start his first game with the Cowboys. Phillips said Thursday that the nose tackle, who has completed his 8-game NFL suspension, will be used "in certain specific situations." Jay Ratliff, who took over after Jason Ferguson was hurt in the season opener, remains the starter. ... Giants running back Brandon Jacobs weighs 265 pounds, as much as Greg Ellis, the Cowboys' biggest linebacker.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
When your own Mother is shocked that you aren't acting up then you know your reputation is justly deserved.

I give Terrell a lot of credit for how he is conducting himself this year. Keep it up, guy; you're doing good.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
LeonDixson;1752821 said:
When your own Mother is shocked that you aren't acting up then you know your reputation is justly deserved.

I give Terrell a lot of credit for how he is conducting himself this year. Keep it up, guy; you're doing good.

TO is the same guy he was last year

GhettoxCowboy

Dem Boyz
Reaction score
Great Read.. T.O. has been doing a great job this season of keeping his emotions in check.. that IMO has helped this team out alot.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Gryphon;1752814 said:
At the midpoint of the season, Owens has 44 catches for 730 yards and six touchdowns.

I say we gotta put the pedal to the metal just a little more... :D

I would like to see over 100 catches, 1600+ yards and about 15 TD's... "it would good for the family".

Hopefully what we saw against the Eagles is a sign of things to come. I could get used him having 10 catches a game.

Bob Sacamano;1753018 said:
TO is the same guy he was last year

Didnt his grandmother raise him anyway? How would his mother know?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TO has done a great job controlling himself on and off the field. I could not ask any more from him as far as being a team player.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even I have to admit that Owens has done a good job of not serving the media any nonsense they could rant on and on about. The '81 poster' before the New England game wasn't necessary at all, but the media didn't even attempt to make it into an all-out spectacle as they have done with his other past antics. Here's hoping that he can stay the course through (hopefully) February.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Gryphon;1752814 said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=7334015

Associated Press - November 8, 2007 8:15 PM ET

IRVING, Texas (AP) - Even Terrell Owens' mother has been surprised by what she's seen when watching her son play this season.

"She thinks something is wrong with me because I am not reacting to a whole lot," Owens said.

Television cameras are seemingly always pointed at Owens on the sideline when Dallas plays. So far this season, with the Cowboys (7-1) tied for the NFC lead and Owens a big part of the success, there haven't been any significant outbursts to see.

Even off the field, there have been no scintillating comments or over-the-top antics.

Before Dallas played New England last month, Owens didn't even speak to the media before the game. Instead of the usually talkative receiver, reporters found a poster-sized note hanging in his locker that said he wouldn't talk until afterward "due to the magnitude" of the game and expected questions about Randy Moss.

Owens has certainly been more measured in his approach this season.

"I don't like sitting here giving an interview and have to go home and see something that I have said has been blown out of proportion," Owens said this week. "It's always the story the next day and it's something my teammates have to answer throughout the course of the week leading up to a game. I am just trying to eliminate that."

Owens is coming off his best game in his two seasons with Dallas, a 10-catch, 174-yard performance Sunday night at Philadelphia, his former team that nearly two years to the date had banished him before eventually releasing him.

The Cowboys play Sunday at the New York Giants, a rematch of the season opener in which Owens had three catches for 87 yards and two TDs in a 45-35 victory.

"For me, it was really to come in with a renewed sense of focus. Not urgency, but I knew that in order for this team to get where it needs to be, I needed to play better," Owens said. "Going into games, I tried to bring my level of focus up, and obviously it's been paying off."

As far as being a teammate, Owens said he's been the "same kind of guy in the locker room." And quarterback Tony Romo says that's T.O. being a good teammate.

"I trust him and the fact that he's going to try and get open every play and help us score touchdowns," Romo said. "He just wants to win and be a great player. It's not really all that different than most any guy in here really. He's just more vocal once in a while."

NO MORE TICKETS:mad: Texas Stadium is sold out - for the rest of this year and next season, the last before the Cowboys move into their new stadium.

The team announced Thursday that it has already sold out the 65,529-seat stadium for every game in 2008 through season ticket sales. All tickets for the 2007 season were sold by July.

It is the first time the Cowboys have sold out the entire season in advance through season ticket sales.

After the 2008 season, the Cowboys are moving from Texas Stadium to a $1 billion stadium under construction in Arlington. The new facility, which will be able to accommodate up to 100,000 fans, will host Super Bowl XLV in February 2011.

There have been 140 consecutive games sold out at Texas Stadium, including playoffs, since December 1990. That number will increase by at least 12, since the Cowboys have four more regular season games this season and eight in 2008.

Texas Stadium, built for $35 million, opened in 1971.

ONE-LINERS:mad: A sampling of comments heard at Valley Ranch this week:

"Sizzle, that's kind of a funny word actually. That makes you think I'm in a relationship or something. The sizzle has kind of been taken out." - quarterback Tony Romo, asked how important it was for the Cowboys to keep winning and "keep the sizzle going."

"Oh yeah, I did (like it). It was neat." - tight end Jason Witten, talking about watching the video of him gaining 30 more yards after his helmet got knocked off last week in Philadelphia.

"No, no, never have (been). But just in case, I don't want to change anything." - coach Wade Phillips, when asked if he is superstitious.

"Maybe I need to get like Barry Bonds." - Terrell Owens, when it was suggested that maybe he could put a big recliner in the locker room.

QUICK HITS:mad: The Cowboys aren't bothered by playing away from home. They are going for their eighth straight regular-season road victory Sunday at the New York Giants. "When you say how hard it is to win on the road, you're giving them excuses," coach Wade Phillips said. It's their longest such streak since also winning seven in a row from 1993-94. The team record is 10 in a row from 1968-69. ... Tank Johnson won't start his first game with the Cowboys. Phillips said Thursday that the nose tackle, who has completed his 8-game NFL suspension, will be used "in certain specific situations." Jay Ratliff, who took over after Jason Ferguson was hurt in the season opener, remains the starter. ... Giants running back Brandon Jacobs weighs 265 pounds, as much as Greg Ellis, the Cowboys' biggest linebacker.

"TO" is Terrell again

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score

When the Cowboys are winning they are REALLY popular in Dallas.

- Mike G.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
mickgreen58;1753472 said:
When the Cowboys are winning they are REALLY popular in Dallas.

- Mike G.

Damn that means I'll get next years Thanksgiving Day game from a resale ticket outlet.