Even Wade was off today

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Yeah I know people are complaining about Garrett's play calling, and I couldn't understand why we didn't run more, but hell, he knows more about the game than me so who am I to second guess.

I was more upset with Wade. First, he challenged the pass to Hurd when it was clear it would fail. Does he not know the rule?

Then, he waited 35 seconds before calling a timeout to decide to go for it on 4th down.

He also didn't seem his exhuberant self on the sidelines.

The whole team had a bad day.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
i don't understand the need to ever challenge a call on your team's first possession of the game if you're not challenging a change of possession or catch for a TD?

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1837977 said:
Yeah I know people are complaining about Garrett's play calling, and I couldn't understand why we didn't run more, but hell, he knows more about the game than me so who am I to second guess.

I was more upset with Wade. First, he challenged the pass to Hurd when it was clear it would fail. Does he not know the rule?

Then, he waited 35 seconds before calling a timeout to decide to go for it on 4th down.

He also didn't seem his exhuberant self on the sidelines.

The whole team had a bad day.
Call it a mulligan. This team has earned at least that much.

Reaction score
Wade made a bonehead mistake wasting a timeout just to decide whether or not he was going for it on 4th down...

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Personally, I still dont' understand why the Hurd play wasn't a catch. He caught the ball, took two steps, had the ball firmly in his two hands, and the ball was not moving. He had possession and the ground popped it out of his hands. Looked to me like a catch. He clearly had possession.

eduncan22

Benched
Reaction score
Star4Ever;1838948 said:
Personally, I still dont' understand why the Hurd play wasn't a catch. He caught the ball, took two steps, had the ball firmly in his two hands, and the ball was not moving. He had possession and the ground popped it out of his hands. Looked to me like a catch. He clearly had possession.

The WR has to maintain control of the ball throughout the catch.

This was my argument in the Playoff game last season when Glenn "fumbled" the ball for a safety.

The ball hit the ground on that play also.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Star4Ever;1838948 said:

while I agree and thought he clearly caught it, I think its one of those new stupid rules put in about going to the ground w/o contact...the way I understand the rule if an Eagle had touched him before he went down, they would have given him the catch

that said, I think its stupid...he caught the ball and the ground clearly caused it to come dislodged

David

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Star4Ever;1838948 said:
You must maintain possession of the ball. Hurd didn't. Even Joe Buck said the ref spent 10 seconds under the hood because that was all he needed to see that it wasn't a catch. Very poor challenge on Wade's part.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hurd should've pulled the ball into his body after he "caught" it. I know, easy for me to say. The rule is stupid anyway.

sbark

Reaction score
Star4Ever;1838948 said:

saw same call w/ a Fasano Catch vrs. G.Bay I beleive

If either are "down by contact" they are good, but w/o contact gotta maintain control in "The NFL" as the ref said

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1838974 said:
You must maintain possession of the ball. Hurd didn't. Even Joe Buck said the ref spent 10 seconds under the hood because that was all he needed to see that it wasn't a catch. Very poor challenge on Wade's part.

its still a stupid rule...hopefully they go back and do the right thing and get rd of it in the pffseason

he caught the ball

David

Big Dakota

Reaction score
I thought Tuna was bad at the challenge, but seriously, has Wade won ONE this year?:(

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967;1838985 said:
its still a stupid rule...hopefully they go back and do the right thing and get rd of it in the pffseason

he caught the ball

David
Until just a few years ago that would have been a catch.

CantonBound08

Reaction score
dbair1967;1838985 said:

he caught the ball

David
Agree, stupid rule, but man....what a nice catch. I sure hope Hurd can develop into a good receiver. It sounds like he works really hard at it.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Garrett was off too...he abandoned the run completely and I have no idea why.