Evidence of Conservative Play Calling... Breakdown of 2nd & Short Plays

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
To those of you who were content with the play calling, please consider that on every second down with less than 8 yards to the first down marker, we ran Julius Jones. Every time. Without exception.

80% of those carries were up the gut.

From the NFL play-by-play breakdown:

2-6-DAL24 (8:07) J.Jones up the middle to DAL 27 for 3 yards (M.Stroud).
2-2-DAL39 (14:23) J.Jones up the middle to DAL 39 for no gain (P.Spicer).
2-2-JAC25 (5:32) J.Jones up the middle to JAX 26 for -1 yards (D.Smith).
2-5-JAC11 (2:37) J.Jones up the middle to JAX 10 for 1 yard (M.Peterson).
2-1-DAL22 (7:23) J.Jones right end to DAL 20 for -2 yards (R.Mathis).

It was a no-brainer for the Jax defense when we were in 2nd & short-medium range. Key on JJ - run.

Now, with all the weapons we have in our arsenal, you don't run at least one play-action pass?

You run the same play 4 times in a row, and shake it up on the 5th attempt by running right instead of middle?

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, but expecting different results.

SupermanXx

Benched
Reaction score
unbelievable

we have TO, Glenn, Witten, Crayton, and Fasano yet we call plays like this every time...

Terrell Owens, Terry Glenn, and Jason Witten aren't those damn role players you had in New York Bill, these guys are talented playmakers so ****ing call the game that way

just unbelievable but not unexpected from us unfortunately

gbrittain

Reaction score
BulletBob said:
To those of you who were content with the play calling, please consider that on every second down with less than 8 yards to the first down marker, we ran Julius Jones. Every time. Without exception.

It was a no-brainer for the Jax defense when we were in 2nd & short-medium range. Key on JJ - run.

Now, with all the weapons we have in our arsenal, you don't run at least one play-action pass?

You run the same play 4 times in a row, and shake it up on the 5th attempt by running right instead of middle?

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, but expecting different results.

Those who insist that Dallas is not conservative on both offense and defense are living in denial. It is what BP does and it does not work well in Dallas.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Excection is what BP was looking for, and frankly we didnt do that all game. And Knowing the way we did play, we would have play actioned and either one or two things were gonna happen

1) offensive Penalty

2) bledsoe throws a bad pass

either way we just had poor execution. Play calling had nothing to do with the players just sucking out there. Sorry

silver

Reaction score
i noticed the same thing. there is nothing imaginative about our playcalling. we didn't attempt a long pass until the very end when we were 2 td's down and it worked to terry glenn. i guess bp though we would just show up and wear them down. it was the complete opposite, they wore us down. leftwich made us pay for passing on him 4 years ago.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Good post.

That is what I remembered watching the game and why I wasn't impressed with the response that we were 60/40 in the pass/run ratio.

To me it's not about %s as much as it's about the game situations when the play is called. Parcells goes into a game with his plan and he won't vary from it despite the lack of success.

gbrittain

Reaction score
BulletBob said:

What makes it worse according to the research you did is that 80% of those plays were up the gut, which is only Jacksonville's strongest point on the entire team.

gbrittain

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
Good post.

That is what I remembered watching the game and why I wasn't impressed with the response that we were 60/40 in the pass/run ratio.

To me it's not about %s as much as it's about the game situations when the play is called. Parcells goes into a game with his plan and he won't vary from it despite the lack of success.

Thank You very much for this post. I have been saying the same thing. You can not gauge their aggresiveness via the stat sheet. Watch the game and you will see Dallas was and remains very conservative.

SupermanXx

Benched
Reaction score
yeah and I'll bet half of those 60% were dumpoffs or things of that conservative nature

how many long balls did we throw all game? a couple? what were the results? a huge gain by Terry Glenn, and a touchdown by Terrell Owens... hmmmmmmmm

wileedog

Reaction score
gbrittain said:
What makes it worse according to the research you did is that 80% of those plays were up the gut, which is only Jacksonville's strongest point on the entire team.

That was my problem with the playcalling.

IMO we desperately needed to establish the run and keep the defense off the field for a while. They were out there practically the whole 2nd and 3rd quarter.

With Bledsoe playing terrible I don't have a problem with trying to run the ball and get JJ going. What I do have an issue with is going outside was working much better, and where JJ is better. I don't know why the insistance to keep it between the tackles.

wileedog

Reaction score
SupermanXx said:
yeah and I'll bet half of those 60% were dumpoffs or things of that conservative nature

how many long balls did we throw all game? a couple? what were the results? a huge gain by Terry Glenn, and a touchdown by Terrell Owens... hmmmmmmmm

Almost all of those dumpoffs, except the slants to TO, were checkdowns. Bledsoe seemed extremely hesitant to pull the trigger.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
SupermanXx said:

Thing is you don't know how many plays were called to go deep. Bledsoe mentioned they called Glenn number a couple of times on deep ball in the 1st half and he was not open and he was forced to go else where with the ball. When people start talking about play calling it would make more sense if they really knew what plays were coming into the huddle to begin with.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
silver said:
i noticed the same thing. there is nothing imaginative about our playcalling. we didn't attempt a long pass until the very end when we were 2 td's down and it worked to terry glenn. i guess bp though we would just show up and wear them down. it was the complete opposite, they wore us down. leftwich made us pay for passing on him 4 years ago.

Makes me remember the good old days with Norv Turner---you never really
know what he was going to run
course even if you did -you couldn't stop it:laugh2:

gbrittain

Reaction score
wileedog said:
That was my problem with the playcalling.

IMO we desperately needed to establish the run and keep the defense off the field for a while. They were out there practically the whole 2nd and 3rd quarter.

With Bledsoe playing terrible I don't have a problem with trying to run the ball and get JJ going. What I do have an issue with is going outside was working much better, and where JJ is better. I don't know why the insistance to keep it between the tackles.

I seriously do not think this is a well coached team. Lets be honest here, if this was BPs first coaching gig we would all be ready to run him out of town. He gets a pass because he won two Super Bowls once upon a time a long time ago. I have had enough of his act.

Stautner

Reaction score
The play calling could have been somewhat better, but the fact is we had several scoring opportunities killed by penalties, bad decisions and bad throws by Bledsoe and overall poor execution.

The play on the field was the biggest factor - we just didn't perform.

SupermanXx

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Thing is you don't know how many plays were called to go deep. Bledsoe mentioned they called Glenn number a couple of times on deep ball in the 1st half and he was not open and he was forced to go else where with the ball. When people start talking about play calling it would make more sense if they really knew what plays were coming into the huddle to begin with.

I can see it now...

Bill into Bledsoe's helmet: "okay, don't throw it to 'the player' b/c I don't know him, I haven't known any of his family members in the past, he's not italian, he's not from NY or NJ, and he isn't conservative like me. If you can, throw it to the Tight End, Al Johnson, for at MOST a 2 yard gain. If you throw it to TO, I'll force you to throw 3 interceptions this game so that we can keep Jacksonville in the game and keep our score low. Because you know me, I like keeping the score low and having 55 minutes of time possession and having 10 yards of total offense."

30yrheel

Reaction score
I kept looking all game for playaction on 2nd and short. Never came.
How many times does it take getting stonewalled running up the gut to fricking give it up. Notice that the Jags found some plays that worked, namely the quick throws to Jones, and they kept using them.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Can you say predicatable+conservative+play not lose === Bill Parcels

News for BP its 2006

This is not the Giants of the 80's and 90's

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you thought this week was fun, now you have a coach who has to be wondering about his QB's ability to get it down the field accuratly.

I will bet my bottom dollar you'll never see a pass in the red zone this week!

Oh, wait, we don't have a kicker either.... ugg

Doomsday101

Reaction score
SupermanXx said:
I can see it now...

Bill into Bledsoe's helmet: "okay, don't throw it to 'the player' b/c I don't know him, I haven't known any of his family members in the past, he's not italian, he's not from NY or NJ, and he isn't conservative like me. If you can, throw it to the Tight End, Al Johnson, for at MOST a 2 yard gain. If you throw it to TO, I'll force you to throw 3 interceptions this game so that we can keep Jacksonville in the game and keep our score low. Because you know me, I like keeping the score low and having 55 minutes of time possession and having 10 yards of total offense."

You don't know what the call coming in the huddle was is all I'm getting at. Why did he not go deep? You don't know if the call was for Drew to go deep or not and according to Bledsoe they did have some plays called to go deep but the man was not open so he was forced to go else where with the ball. No doubt Drew made some bad throws but none the less you still expect your QB to go through his progression to find the open man and not to throw into heavy coverage. Believe it or not they don't just call run to the chevy and turn left and I'll hit you as some appear to think it is.