Ex-QB Hogeboom a 'Survivor'?

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score

July 25, 2005

Michigan has a contestant on this fall's "Survivor," and he's someone sports fans might remember.

Former Central Michigan and NFL quarterback Gary Hogeboom, a land developer from Grand Haven, will compete on "Survivor: Guatemala," the Free Press has learned.

Taping of the 11th edition of the popular CBS reality show is under way in Central America.

CBS will reveal the contestants in late August, and "Survivor: Guatemala" will debut in mid-September (in Detroit, on Channel 62).

CBS's policy is not to comment on potential contestants during filming. Hogeboom's family and friends can't comment on his status because they have signed strict confidentially agreements with the network. Even when Hogeboom returns, he will not be able to discuss the show until after the episode airs in which he's voted off or becomes the winner.

Bret Hyble, one of Hogeboom's former Chippewas teammates, describes Hogeboom as "a very outgoing person. Once he puts his mind to do something, he does it."

Hogeboom, who turns 47 in August, works out every day. He has a lingering shoulder problem that limits him from playing golf. He volunteers with youth and has been an assistant coach on kids' sports teams, which might help because "Survivor" contestants usually skew younger.

The Grand Rapids Northview graduate and his wife, Kristi, have three daughters and one son, Jake, who briefly tried to walk on for football and basketball at Michigan State and played basketball at Hope College last season. Jake now works in real estate.

Gary Hogeboom starred at CMU in 1976-79. He played in 10 NFL seasons with three teams, including the first six with the Dallas Cowboys, who drafted him in the fifth round in 1980. He finished with 9,436 yards, 49 TDs and 60 interceptions in 79 games.

The possibility that Hogeboom would be on the show was first reported by truedorktimes.com, a "Survivor"-spoiling Web site.

Hogeboom is the first Michigan "Survivor" contestant since Detroiter Clarence Black on "Survivor: Africa" in autumn 2001, the third season of the show. Two Detroit-area contestants participated in the second season in Australia: Michael Skupin, who suffered burns to the hand and had to be evacuated, and chef Keith Famie, who finished in third place.

By Mark Francescutti

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Hogeboom is way to cool. I hope he wins!

I met him back in the early 80s in the Cowboys parking lot at Texas Stadium, he had a black Chevy pickup--nothing fancy. He was really nice to us that day.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
Hogeboom is way to cool. I hope he wins!

I met him back in the early 80s in the Cowboys parking lot at Texas Stadium, he had a black Chevy pickup--nothing fancy. He was really nice to us that day.
He was parking cars huh?

:grin:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hogeboom a 'Survivor' God Knows I have wanted to stick him on an island

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
No--it was after a game and I would stay in the parking lot to meet players. He stuck around and sign a few autographs.......that's about all I remember.

k19

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Time to stock up on Pepto :eek::

yupp yupp

I'd watch it if I didn't have that aweful hatred off all that is reality TV ;)

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
I'd actually watch these reality TV shows if they stocked the shows with current and former Cowboys. I'd like to watch the episode where Larry Allen starts pushing Rafael Septien around for not doing his laundry. Or maybe the episode where Jay Novacek and Jason Witten get into it about which one was the greatest receiving threat tight end in Cowboys history.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
I'd actually watch these reality TV shows if they stocked the shows with current and former Cowboys. I'd like to watch the episode where Larry Allen starts pushing Rafael Septien around for not doing his laundry. Or maybe the episode where Jay Novacek and Jason Witten get into it about which one was the greatest receiving threat tight end in Cowboys history.

And when the food supplies start to run out Larry could eat them. LOL

DLK150

The Quiet Man
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:

We've never watched Survivor, but I'm almost half curious to see what Hogeboom would be like on it. Survivor just seems like some kind of bizarre cross between Days of Our Lives and Fear Factor.

How about just an 80's Cowboys Survivor, with Hogeboom, Danny White, Glenn Carano, Steve Pelleur, Timmy Newsome, Darryl Clack, Todd Fowler, and Rod Barksdale? There could even be a cameo appearance by Harold Carmichael.

Now that's entertainment.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Good luck Hogenbloom
If he gets voted off, I think it would be hilarious if someone knew to write Hogenbloom on their card.:)

zagnut

Reaction score
Not that he was all that famous, but this would be the first person (I think) who already had their 15 minutes of fame before ever appearing on the show. I'd probably tune in just to see what he looks like now. Pretty cool.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
No--it was after a game and I would stay in the parking lot to meet players. He stuck around and sign a few autographs.......that's about all I remember.
I was joking. Hence the :grin:

speedkilz88

Reaction score
zagnut said:
Not that he was all that famous, but this would be the first person (I think) who already had their 15 minutes of fame before ever appearing on the show. I'd probably tune in just to see what he looks like now. Pretty cool.
Actually the guy that won a few years back(sorry forget his name and he uses many aliases, he claimed he was a used car salesman) is an actor and has been on Days of Our Lives and many, many skinemax shows. His wife has also done many skinemax shows, he met her doing one of those movies. The guy was also a former college qb.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dmq said:
Bret Hyble, one of Hogeboom's former Chippewas teammates, describes Hogeboom as "a very outgoing person. Once he puts his mind to do something, he does it."
Except be a good QB perhaps.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
dmq said:

July 25, 2005

Michigan has a contestant on this fall's "Survivor," and he's someone sports fans might remember.

Former Central Michigan and NFL quarterback Gary Hogeboom, a land developer from Grand Haven, will compete on "Survivor: Guatemala," the Free Press has learned.

hogeboob (circa 1984): "must... throw... costly pick... ye gads... success!"