Execution

smoovb

Reaction score
I was watching the Patriots - Colts game and took notice of something I really wish we had on our team - proper execution. There were like four or five penalties that whole darn game. And I got to thinking. Have we played through a series in one game this year without some sort of dumb penalty that cost us field position?

Then I thought about the Giants game we lost so bad earlier. We must of given up a ton of yards because of penalties. And yes I know there was more to our loss then penalties, but it sure might of been a little closer if we didnt have so many.

Back to the Patriots - how in the world did they manage to keep the game close with mediocre players? Execution. They simply did not give the game away by giving up yardage.

The big thing that came to my mind was do we want our roster filled with superstar talented players who make dumb penalties or would we rather have a roster with a few talents and a whole lot of players who execute well and dont give up field position with penalties. For me, I'll take the latter.

Thoughts?

links18

Reaction score
Here is what I think about our team's execution--I'm all for it (and that from someone who opposes capital punishment). :lmao2:

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
links18;2396951 said:
Here is what I think about our team's execution--I'm all for it (and that from someone who opposes capital punishment). :lmao2:

- John McKay, ex Buccaneers coach -

Gmonkey21

Reaction score
links18;2396951 said:

:lmao: That never get's old!

Maybe we are a dumb team. Parcells thought so at one time.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will fault players for making dumb penalties. It reflects lack of self discipline. Of course, it's the coaches job to either beat that nonsense out of the players or not play them at all, but I fault the players most of all.

Lack of execution can be laid mostly at the coaches feet. Repetitive practice and oversight are key to honing execution and it's the coaches job to make certain that the players can execute a specific play or not. If they can, run it. If they can't, either don't run it or get someone who can. Even the most simplified playbook can be highly effective if you can execute the plays well enough.

smoovb

Reaction score
Thats a great point. Now I'm no fan of Belichick. But I had to admire his coaching staffs' ability to send in these no-name guys who played well enough. Imagine if our guys played like that? We'd really have a shot at the playoffs.

Phoenix

Reaction score
I'm all for execution. In fact, the entire OL and D should be shot immediately!

Asklesko

Reaction score
Indeed. Some should be boiled in acid. Others should be fed to mutated seabass. The rest should have their nuts cut off by Rev. Jesse Jackson.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
I didnt read the thread but the word Execution really does call to me.
I would execute the following criminals and how:

• Flozel Adams (by Stake)
• Greg Ellis (Hanging)
• Cory Proctor (Lethal injection)
• Anthony Henry (Electric Chair)
• Wade Phillips/Stewart/Garrett (Firing Squad)

DABOYZ

Reaction score
There are alot of things wrong with this team and I hope that we can fix at least half of them before we paly the skins. Even the things that appear to be ok aren't right.

I love me some Marion Barber but why has he all of a sudden become an outside runner? He doesn't have the speed to break everything to the outside. I know most will say it is the O-lines fault. But I find it odd that Choice gets two carries right up the middle and gains 15 yards (He hit the hole fast and hard on his first carry) He also averaged 5.4 yards per carry compared to Barber's 2.8.

All I'm saying is if a play is supposed to be run through the 2 or 3 hole there is no reason to bounce out to the 8 or 9 hole. He carried the ball 19 times yesterday and 8 of those were for a loss or no gain. All I'm saying is it is much easier to block for a a back when you know where he is going to run the ball.

Okay enough of that, I guess my point is that this team doesn't appear to be finding a way to "fix things" as a group. There is a huge lack of communication between the players and coaches. This can't be fixed without each and everyone of them talking to one another and coming up with a game plan to move forward with. Simply saying "we have problems" won't fix anything.

Woods

Reaction score
DallasEast;2397016 said:
I will fault players for making dumb penalties. It reflects lack of self discipline. Of course, it's the coaches job to either beat that nonsense out of the players or not play them at all, but I fault the players most of all.

Lack of execution can be laid mostly at the coaches feet. Repetitive practice and oversight are key to honing execution and it's the coaches job to make certain that the players can execute a specific play or not. If they can, run it. If they can't, either don't run it or get someone who can. Even the most simplified playbook can be highly effective if you can execute the plays well enough.

OK, but don't you wonder why we can't even line up on-sides when the opposing team is punting the football? (i.e., Giants game)

But I get your point.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
links18;2396951 said:

:D

I was gonna say... has it REALLY come down to THIS???

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
oh gosh... a Wade Phillips execution? they would spend two days preparing his requested last meal (aka feast)

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
our players would execute better if they were held accountable for there own mistakes. but according to coach goofball it's his fault if they make mistakes. there for they think it's ok. Jerry hiring this guy was worse than hiring Campo or Gailey.