Josh Brown
Total: 72% (18/25), 5/8 from 50+

Paul Edinger
Total: 74% (25/34), 3/5 from 50+

Mike Vanderjagt
Total: 92% (23/25), 0/0 from 50+

Adam Vinatieri
Total: 80% (20/25), 0/2 from 50+

I think the numbers lie a little since Vanderjagt kicked mostly in a dome, but 92% is pretty nice. Considering his personal baggage though, Vanderjagt might not be worth the investment he is going to demand.

Considering Adam V is probably going to demand top dollar, I wouldn’t have too much of a problem signing Josh Brown or Paul Edinger who are both a little under the high contract radar.

Just my 2 cents.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I think the numbers lie a little since Vanderjagt kicked mostly in a dome, but 92% is pretty nice. Considering his personal baggage though, Vanderjagt might not be worth the investment he is going to demand.

It is just that the 8% misses are big time playoff ending kicks!

trueblue1687

Reaction score
I know Vanderjagt has a 90+% and Brown has 72%...That's a BIG difference! I would just like to get a solid kicker that is a known commodity. I thought we had that in Cundiff, but obviously not. As long as we know what the kicker can and can't do, and he's consistent...I'm ok with whoever...as long as his name isn't Cortez.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
trueblue1687 said:
I know Vanderjagt has a 90+% and Brown has 72%...That's a BIG difference! I would just like to get a solid kicker that is a known commodity. I thought we had that in Cundiff, but obviously not. As long as we know what the kicker can and can't do, and he's consistent...I'm ok with whoever...as long as his name isn't Cortez.
Brown did have more attempts over 50+, and the year before he did kick 92%

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
You didn't even mention KO abilities.

Half of those guys would require Jose Cortez as well.:eek:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
trueblue1687 said:

Vanderjagt also plays half of his games inside. Brown plays half in the rain. Vander rarely attempts 50+ yarders (1 in the past 2 years) and is bad on kickoffs. Brown, in only 3 years has attempted and made more than half the 50+ yarders that Vanderjagt has in his 8 year career. Plus Brown is young at 26 whereas Vander is 36 in a few days. Vander is going downhill whereas Brown is starting to establish himself as being very good. Vander is more consistent yes, but Brown has the better leg.

We have an offer out to Vander -- but he isn't our first choice and I imagine it isn't a big money offer. Brown is a kid to take a chance on.

alancdc

Reaction score
I am missing something. What personal baggage does Vanderjagt have other than calling out Peyton Manning? I don't think it is a huge deal whether he kicks in a dome or not. Remember the 2 kicks he made against Denver in the snow a couple years ago? True, he doesn't kick off well, and that is probably his biggest negative to me. I am not saying that I wouldn't want Brown, but just not sure why the problem with V's attitude? Who cares about a kickers attitude?

DLCassidy

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Vanderjagt also plays half of his games inside. Brown plays half in the rain. Vander rarely attempts 50+ yarders (1 in the past 2 years) and is bad on kickoffs. Brown, in only 3 years has attempted and made more than half the 50+ yarders that Vanderjagt has in his 8 year career. Plus Brown is young at 26 whereas Vander is 36 in a few days. Vander is going downhill whereas Brown is starting to establish himself as being very good. Vander is more consistent yes, but Brown has the better leg.

We have an offer out to Vander -- but he isn't our first choice and I imagine it isn't a big money offer. Brown is a kid to take a chance on.

I just want a kicker. I'd be very happy to have Vanderjagt. His stats outdoors are similar to indoors. The guy used to kick in the CFL, I think he can kick outdoors. The kickoff thing is an issue, but missing 35 yarders is a much, much bigger issue. Get me a guy who can at least do that before you're worried about 50+ yarders and kickoffs. People underestimate the importance of the position IMO. Drafting a Josh Huston to kick off and kick 55 yarders would not be the end of the world. It beats having a guy on the sidelines reading a book on PMA before he goes in to kick.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I'd be OK with Vanderjagt -- but only for cheap. If we spend it should be on the best kicker in the league (Vini) or a good young guy (Brown).

I'm sure there is an offer on the table to jagt for about 1.5 a year or something similar.

NYCowboy22

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Also, Brown only missed 1 kick of under 40 last year

:eek:

Thats what I like to hear. He seems to have a big time leg and is young... I think he should be strongly considered as long as the price doesnt get too crazy. Seattle doesn't have all that much cap room so they may not be able to match. Last I heard we have an offer on the table with Brown.