Facts about Texas

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Texarkana to El Paso: 815 miles
Texarkana to Chicago: 792 miles

World's first rodeo was in Pecos... July 4, 1883.

The Flagship Hotel in Galveston is the only hotel in North America built over water.

The Heisman Trophy was named after John William Heisman who was the first full time coach for Rice University, Houston.

Brazoria County has more species of birds than any other area in North America.

Aransas Wildlife Refuge is the winter home of North America's only remaining flock of whooping cranes.

More wool comes from the state of Texas than any other state in the United States.

Texas was an independent nation from 1836 to 1845.

Jalapeno jelly originated in Lake Jackson in 1978.

The worst natural disaster in U.S. history was in 1900 caused by a hurricane in which over 8000 lives were lost on Galveston Island.

The first word spoken from the moon, July 20, 1969, was "Houston".

Amarillo has the world's largest helium well.

Lubbock is the largest city in the United States that it dry. (no alcohol sales)

Forty percent of the farm-grown catfish in the United States is consumed by Texans.

El Paso is closer to California (637 miles) than to Dallas (792 miles).

Laredo is the world's largest inland port.

The first suspension bridge in the United States was the Waco Bridge. Built in 1870 and still in use today as a pedestrian crossing of the Brazos River.

More species of bats live in Texas than in any other part of the United States.

Fajitas originated in San Antonio.

Lubbock doesn't have any storm drains.

The smallest Catholic church in the world still in operation claims to be in Warrenton, Texas. Measuring 12 feet by 15 feet, the church seats 15 and is only open once a year.

Texas is the only state to have the flags of 6 different nations fly over it: Spain, France, Mexico, Republic of Texas, Confederate States, and the United States.

Texas has no state income tax.

Tyler Municipal Rose Garden is the world's largest rose garden with over 38,000 bushes with 500 varieties on 22 acres.

King Ranch is larger than Rhode Island.

Tropical Storm Claudette brought a U.S. rainfall record of 43" in 24 hours in and around Alvin in July 1979.

Texas boasts the nation's largest herd of whitetail deer.

Austin is considered the live music capital of the world.

Texas is the only state to enter the U.S. by TREATY, instead of by annexation. (This allows the Texas flag to fly at the same height as the US flag.)

A Live Oak tree near Fulton is estimated to be 1500 years old.

Caddo Lake is the only natural lake in the state.

Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885. There is no period after Dr in Dr Pepper.

Texas has had six capital cities.
1. Washington-on-the-Brazos
2. Harrisburg
3. Galveston
4. Velasco
5. West Columbia
6. Austin

The Capitol Dome in Austin is the only dome in the U.S. which is taller than the Capitol Building in Washington DC. (by 7 feet).

The Rocky Mountains originate in Texas.

The name Texas comes from the Hasini Indian word "tejas"
meaning friends. Tejas is not Mexican for Texas.

The state small mammal is the Armadillo. (An interesting bit of trivia about the armadillo is they always have four babies... They have one egg which splits into four and they either have four males or four females.)

The state large mammal is the Longhorn.

The state flying mammal is the Mexican Free-tailed Bat.

The first domed stadium in the U. S was the Astrodome in Houston.

The official dish of Texas is chili.

Texas has it's own "Grand Canyon". Palo Duro Canyon is located in the panhandle.

AMERICAN BY BIRTH. TEXAN BY THE GRACE OF GOD!​

Reaction score
Your list left off the one that I think is the most important (if you're a proud native Texan that is)...

The Texas state flag is the only one in the union, which by law, can be displayed at equal height as the United States flag.

Edit: Ohhh, NM, I just saw it.... yea yea, SU U! :p

trickblue

Reaction score
DallasCowpoke said:
Your list left off the one that I think is the most important (if you're a proud native Texan that is)...

The Texas state flag is the only one in the union, which by law, can be displayed at equal height as the United States flag.

Edit: Ohhh, NM, I just saw it.... yea yea, SU U! :p

You just missed it... :D

trickblue said:
Texas is the only state to enter the U.S. by TREATY, instead of by annexation. (This allows the Texas flag to fly at the same height as the US flag.)

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
Texas History
Do you remember looking at a map of the world? Look at Texas for a second. That picture, with the Panhandle and the Gulf Coast, and the Red River and the Rio Grande are as much a part of you as anything ever will be. As soon as anyone, anywhere in the world, looks at it, they know what it is. It's Texas. Pick any kid off the street in Japan and draw him a picture of Texas in the dirt and he'll know what it is.

What happens if I show you a picture of any other state? You'll get it maybe after a second, but who else would? Even if you do, does it ever stir any feelings in you? In every man, woman and child on this little rock the Good Lord put us on, there is somewhere in them a person who wishes just once he could be a real live Texan and get up on a horse or ride in a pickup. Did you ever hear anyone in a bar go, "Wow...so you're from Ok-la-homa. Cool. Tell me about it!" There is some bit of Texas in everyone. Do you know why? Because Texas is TEXAS.

Texas is the Alamo. Texas is 183 brave men standing in a church, facing eight thousand Mexican nationals, fighting for freedom, who had the chance to walk out and save themselves, but stayed. We send our kids to schools named William B. Travis and Bowie and do you know why? Because those men saw a line in the sand and took the heroic route. John Wayne paid to do the movie himself. That is Texas. Texas is Sam Houston capturing Santa Ana at San Jacinto. Texas is Texas Independence Day. Texas is huge forests of Piney Woods like the Davy Crockett National Forest. Texas is breathtaking mountains, wonderful rivers and the bright stars at night in Big Bend. Texas is shiny skyscrapers and great wide freeways in Houston and Dallas, beautiful beaches in Padre Island, historic charm of Galveston, and the fun filled Frio, San Marcos, Colorado and Guadalupe rivers.

Texas is world record bass from places like Lake Fork and deep sea Red Snapper near Rockport. Texas is Mexican food like nowhere in the world, even Mexico. Texas is larger-than-life legends like Willie Nelson, Buddy Holly, Janis Joplin, ZZ Top, Earl Campbell and Nolan Ryan, Michael DeBakey, Denton Cooley, Lyndon Johnson and George Bush. Texas is great companies like Dell Computer, Compaq and Texas Instruments. Texas is great industries like NASA and Texas Medical Center in Houston.

Texas is huge herds of cattle and miles of crops. Texas is skies blackened with doves and leases full of deer. Texas is a place where cities shut down for the Cowboys on Monday Night Football and the streets are deserted during church. Texas is beaches, deserts, lakes and rivers, mountains, prairies and forests. Most repeated comment from visitors leaving Texas: "God's country." If it isn't in Texas, you don't need it. No one does anything bigger or better. Texas is about freedom and room to grow. By federal law, Texas is the only state in the U.S. that can fly its flag at the same height as the U.S. flag. Think about that for a second.

You fly the Stars and Stripes at 20 feet in Maryland, or California, or Maine, and your state flag, whatever the hell it is, goes at 17. You fly the Stars and Stripes in front of Pine Tree High in Longview at 20 feet, and the Lone Star flies at 20 feet, too. Do you know why? Texas is the only state that was once its own country and has the right to secede or become five small states at any time.

The Republic of Texas. All of that makes you proud to be a Texan. Our capitol is the only one in the country that is taller than the capitol building in D.C. We signed those in as part of the deal when we came on. That's the best part right there: WHEN WE CAME ON, America got much better.

:)

trickblue

Reaction score
Very cool Cliff... very cool... and what better state to be home of the Dallas Cowboys... they, too, are larger than life...

Texas isn't just a state... it's a state of mind...

My dad always told me... "Son, never ask a man where he's from... if he's from Texas... he'll tell ya... if he ain't... you don't wanna embarrass him"... ;)

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
CliffnMesquite said:
Texas is the only state that was once its own country and has the right to secede or become five small states at any time.

That last bit about being able to split up into 5 separate states-- each with 2 Senators-- has always been my favorite bit of Texas trivia... I tell folks that, and they don't believe me...

And yes, I AM proud of being a Texan... even if I've been "transplanted" for nigh on 30 years now, I still have a Lone Star flag hangin' on the wall over my bed... just to keep in touch with my roots...

Native born Alaskan, and naturalized Texan, that's your friendly local Bear... I have legitimate roots in both of this nation's two biggest states...

trickblue

Reaction score
silverbear said:
That last bit about being able to split up into 5 separate states-- each with 2 Senators-- has always been my favorite bit of Texas trivia... I tell folks that, and they don't believe me...

And yes, I AM proud of being a Texan... even if I've been "transplanted" for nigh on 30 years now, I still have a Lone Star flag hangin' on the wall over my bed... just to keep in touch with my roots...

Native born Alaskan, and naturalized Texan, that's your friendly local Bear... I have legitimate roots in both of this nation's two biggest states...

and we're happy to have ya Silverbear... once a Texan... always a Texan... no matter where you may live!

Roughneck

Reaction score
silverbear said:

Hell, 30 years in this State makes you more Texan than some people I know who have lived here their entire lives.

Truth of the matter is I've only left the State twice in my entire life (once to Washington D.C. and once to New York) and will be making my third trip out in May (to Las Vegas). I've lived in the Central Texas area for over 20 years, I attend College here, and my post-collegiate plans will most likely keep me a resident in our Great State. I'm sure I will do much more travelling in the future (couple of different Countries I want to visit) but, until I see it for myself, there ain't nothing out there that can keep me away from my home.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DallasCowpoke said:
<---personally responsible for 25.0035% of this!

I would imagine Louisiana has to be second....Wondering if you know or not, as I do not, does most of the Catfish consumed in Texas come from Louisiana?
When I was stationed there, there were catfish farms and eating joints everywhere.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CliffnMesquite said:
Texas History
Do you remember looking at a map of the world? Look at Texas for a second. That picture, with the Panhandle and the Gulf Coast, and the Red River and the Rio Grande are as much a part of you as anything ever will be. As soon as anyone, anywhere in the world, looks at it, they know what it is. It's Texas. Pick any kid off the street in Japan and draw him a picture of Texas in the dirt and he'll know what it is.

Here is something for you guys to try.

Ok....go like you are going to flip someone else the bird (middle finger) hold that position and instead of having your thumb tucked in, leave it straight out away from the palm.

Make sure you are doing this so the palm is facing you.

Now compare the shape....

west-virginia.gif

Hmm...it could be looked at two ways....we, West Virginians are screwed (nicer then the actual word), or we could look at it as, screw the rest of the US lol.

BTW, yes I am bored.

However in my time living in Texas it is indeed a state I would love to live in, the climate and arrid conditions would be good for me and my crappy ears.

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I would imagine Louisiana has to be second....Wondering if you know or not, as I do not, does most of the Catfish consumed in Texas come from Louisiana?

Prob so, Tx has some pretty big commercial producers, esp in the E. Tx area but until recently, Tx farmers produced less than 2 percent of the more than 50 million pounds of catfish processed in the U.S. every month. Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas and Louisiana have led the nation in catfish roduction since 2000.

(below from Tx dept of Ag. website)
The Texas Aquaculture Co-op opened a 6000 sq ft facility in 2002 on 70 acres west of Markham in Matagorda County, and has grown from $6,000 in sales during its first month of production to more than $100,000 in January 2003. Because of the new plant, sales for 2004 are projected to reach $4.5 million.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DallasCowpoke said:
Prob so, Tx has some pretty big commercial producers, esp in the E. Tx area but until recently, Tx farmers produced less than 2 percent of the more than 50 million pounds of catfish processed in the U.S. every month. Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas and Louisiana have led the nation in catfish roduction since 2000.

(below from Tx dept of Ag. website)
The Texas Aquaculture Co-op opened a 6000 sq ft facility in 2002 on 70 acres west of Markham in Matagorda County, and has grown from $6,000 in sales during its first month of production to more than $100,000 in January 2003. Because of the new plant, sales for 2004 are projected to reach $4.5 million.

Man alive who would have ever thought that so much could be made from catfish.

In my neck of the woods hardly anyone eats catfish....of course most don't eat anything out of the ohio river in my area because of the Aluminum plant ....but still up here there is not a big calling for catfish.....now there are a great number of people who catch catfish, and some big ones...but not too many call for people eating it.

I was kind of shocked at the number of joints in louisiana....there seemed to be one every mile or so lol.....some of them pretty darn good. Had my first frog leg dinner in one of them. :eek:

trickblue

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I was kind of shocked at the number of joints in louisiana....there seemed to be one every mile or so lol.....some of them pretty darn good. Had my first frog leg dinner in one of them. :eek:

Ya heartless bastid!!!

frog-wheelchair-01.png

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
trickblue said:
Ya heartless bastid!!!

frog-wheelchair-01.png

HAHA.

They were not really that great to be honest....not much flavor to them, kind of liked bland boiled chicken...so I had to smother them in sauce.

trickblue

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
HAHA.

They were not really that great to be honest....not much flavor to them, kind of liked bland boiled chicken...so I had to smother them in sauce.

Well they didn't do them right then... frog legs are a tasty treat when prepared correctly...

Like Poke said... we have almost as many catfish restaurants as we do mexican restaurants here in East Texas... second only to Baptist churches...

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
trickblue said:
Well they didn't do them right then... frog legs are a tasty treat when prepared correctly...

Like Poke said... we have almost as many catfish restaurants as we do mexican restaurants here in East Texas... second only to Baptist churches...

This just looked to be pan fried but I am not a chef so what do I know lol.

They were a tad oily but to me were very bland, no real taste to them...Like I said kind of like boiled chicken. :mad:

But maybe they wanted made that way as they did have side dishes and one of the side dishes was a sauce.

Who knows....I sure don't, I was hungry and ate them lol.

Gibby!

Pom Pom Waving Shill
Reaction score
Lubbock Sucks. Drive 100 miles to go "clubbing" and have to try and find a place across the tracks to find a place that sells drinks!