Fake Amazon refund scam

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
This is a really rotten one, and a slick one to watch out for. The scammer pretends to be working for Amazon.com. Of course, practically everyone has ordered from Amazon at one time or another, and the scammers know that. They know how to be friendly, professional-sounding, and how to get rapport with their "customers." So some scammer says that there's been a mistaken charge to your bank card for $400 (or some other amount), and they're calling to correct the mistake and make sure you get refunded. There are a few versions of what they do. One is to have you fill out a refund form that includes your bank's routing number and your account number. With that info, they simply help themselves to as much money from your account as they can get away with. However, thanks to improved bank security and people's wariness about their bank info, this version is less common. They're more likely to do the over-refund variation. With this one, they use their phony software that mimics that of your bank. They use that to show you your refund that doesn't actually exist. But ... woops ... they accidentally send you way too much. For example, if the refund was supposed to be $400, they "accidentally" type in two extra zeroes, making it 40,000. They rely on having established good rapport with the victim, and say something like, "Oh, my God, I've made a terrible mistake. I'm going to get in so much trouble." Then they might include some sob story about working long hours to support 5 kids, and how they're so exhausted that they made that mistake. Most people, who are decent, won't want to hurt someone like that, so they're eager to make the person whole. In this example, they think they owe the person $39,600. Many times the scammer has already done social engineering to know that the person has that much money. Maybe their checking account is tied to a savings account or a credit account with that much. So the person thinks they're just paying back extra money that was deposited by Amazon by mistake when in reality they're having their own money stolen. Some scammers ask them to buy that amount in Target or WalMart gift cards (a big red flag), and some even have them withdraw a bunch of cash to be sent to them. In that case, they have cohorts in the United States so that they can receive a package in the US without it going through customs. The US cohort takes a cut, like 10 or 15 percent, and then wires them the money or gets it to them some other way.

Most people think they would never get taken in by a scam like this, but these criminals are good at what they do. They know how to establish rapport and get you to like them, and then use that to manipulate your emotions. After all, most of us have empathy and therefore don't want to hurt anyone else, especially not someone we like. One important thing is to never let yourself get carried away by emotion or their sob stories. If there's a genuine problem, there would be a way to solve it by contacting the company. Never trust the phone numbers someone gives you over the phone. You can instead, hang up and call the organization yourself with the phone number for them that you know is legit. In fact, you should always store these numbers yourself. Some scammers have set up fake web sites with their phony phone numbers for Amazon, Norton, Microsoft, or whoever they're spoofing. So don't accept a phone number just because they showed it to you on some web page. If they're rushing you to get this done, that's a red flag. With real companies, problem transactions can usually be dealt with in a reasonable amount of time such as 30 days. And real companies like Amazon or Microsoft or whoever don't use gift cards for anything other than allowing you to buy a gift for someone. The biggest red flag is is they try to hurry you to fix the alleged problem. They'll tug at your heart strings with some sob story like they'll get fired and their kids will go hungry, and blah, blah, blah. They might claim that they must use the gift cards so that the problem is fixed quickly enough for them not to get in trouble with their boss. That's all hogwash.

There are a bunch of variations on this scam. Sometimes they say they're from Microsoft, Norton, Kaspersky, or even the IRS. If they try to rush you or get you to use gift cards or give them your banking info, it's almost certainly a scam. You can always take your time to fix it. You can always take the time to make certain you're calling the real company.
There's this Youtuber named Scammer Payback who thwarts these kind of scammers. He'll pretend to be a real one of their potential victims. The scammers often use a program that lets them control your computer, AnyDesk, for example, or another program like that. Those are legit programs. You could use one to control your office computer from your home PC, for example. But they try to trick people into installing it so that they can mine your computer for info. However, the Scammer Payback guy uses that against them. He uses Windows in a VirtualBox to keep them out of his legit computer, and then he somehow uses that AnyDesk connection to mine their computer for data. He can often find victim lists, which he'll download and then delete from their computer. Then he calls people and organizations up to warn them. Sometimes he's even able to call someone while they're already talking to the scammer, so he urges them to hang up. If he's able to find the scammer's AnyDesk ID, he reports it to AnyDesk so that they can ban them. He's helped a lot of people. He even collected enough data on a whole scam call center organization in India to get them raided by the Indian Police. He turned over his info to US law enforcement, who then worked with the Indian Police to catch the scumbags.
I'm all for anything that thwarts scammers. If this post helps anyone to recognize a scam, great. These criminals are trash human beings. They don't care whom they hurt. It could be your parents or grandparents that they rob. These crooks don't care if it's an elderly person on a fixed income and they take their last dime. For most people like you and I, we could never do anything like that. We have too much empathy and therefore would never want to hurt anyone. They don't care about that. They're psychopaths who only care about themselves. In fact, they're skilled in using your own empathy against you. I personally won't even take a call if it's not a friend or family member. If it's a company I do business with, like my bank, Amazon, or whoever, I don't even take the call, and then I call that company with the number that I know is legit. Most of us are sick and tired of these piece of crap scammers. Even just the nuisance of getting calls out of the blue is bad enough, but it's much, much worse when they succeed in ripping people off.
Thanks for reading. Don't get scammed!

Creeper

Reaction score
If any company calls me for anything I always tell them I'll call them back at the customer service number posted on their website.
My bank called me once about some customer service issue and the person said they needed to make sure of my identity before they could talk to me about the problem. They asked me for some personal identity information. I told them to first identify that they were who they said they were because I didn't want to give that information to just anyone. I asked them some questions only my bank would know and they gave me a hard time. LOL. But this is a problem today. How do you know who we know who is calling us? I had a guy with a heavy accent call and tell me he was from the IRS. It was the fake IRS scam when they tell you you owe taxes and they are sending a sheriff if you don't pay it immediately. The call showed up as a Washington DC number on caller ID. I did the same thing to him. I started asking him questions and dragging out the call. It was pretty funny actually. At one point he asked me to get some prepaid cards to pay my taxes. He said I could get them at CVS. I told him I had to hang up the phone to drive to CVS because he called me on a land line. He told me I can't hang up the phone or he would call the sheriff again. LOL.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
My bank called me once about some customer service issue and the person said they needed to make sure of my identity before they could talk to me about the problem. They asked me for some personal identity information. I told them to first identify that they were who they said they were because I didn't want to give that information to just anyone. I asked them some questions only my bank would know and they gave me a hard time. LOL. But this is a problem today. How do you know who we know who is calling us? I had a guy with a heavy accent call and tell me he was from the IRS. It was the fake IRS scam when they tell you you owe taxes and they are sending a sheriff if you don't pay it immediately. The call showed up as a Washington DC number on caller ID. I did the same thing to him. I started asking him questions and dragging out the call. It was pretty funny actually. At one point he asked me to get some prepaid cards to pay my taxes. He said I could get them at CVS. I told him I had to hang up the phone to drive to CVS because he called me on a land line. He told me I can't hang up the phone or he would call the sheriff again. LOL.
Yeah, you can't be careful enough. The scammers often have Indian accents, but not always. To be 100 percent clear, I'm not harping on Indian people. It's just that a huge number of the scam operations are run out of India. If you always disconnect and call the legit organization at the number you know is correct, that will do the most to protect you. Also, never post personal information on social media. On my FB account, I made up a fictitious place for my place of birth and I listed a fake company as my place of employment. And don't answer those FB group questions like, "What song was popular the year you were born." Also, for my security questions, I use all fictitious information. I've picked a name for "mother's maiden name" that my mom never had, and I picked a city were I was not born for my place of birth, etc.
One majorly scummy thing some of the scammers did was they set up a fake web site imitating the Geek Squad. It was named something like "Geek Technical Help" or something really similar. Then they paid a large amount of advertising dollars to Google to make their page come up as a "sponsored result" when people search for "Geek Squad." It cost them a lot of money, but they got big returns on their investment. It got people with real computer problems calling them when they were really attempting to reach the Geek Squad. I don't like that search engines have so-called sponsored results, and I always ignore those. But that crap was really sneaky. I can see how someone searching for "Geek Squad" would think that the scammers page was real.
I've become a big fan of this scammer payback guy. The dude has mad tech skills. He's gotten onto the scammers' computers to download their files and then warn people, hopefully before the scammer hits them. That's because the scammers must purchase "client lists" on the dark web. The guy has even tapped into their security cameras so that the can see what's going on in their call centers. Here's his latest video. I hope he keeps this crap up. I've even considered teaming up with him because I DESPISE the scammers. I hope hell exists because there's a strong need for a deep level of it for these scammer goons. I hope they rot in prison, and then rot in hell when they die. I can't seem to link to his video, but you can easily find "scammer payback" on Youtube, if interested. There are also a lot of other channels of people doing similar work. They even all team up once a year in an anti-scammer call center full of volunteers working together to thwart the crooks. I'm seriously considering doing that.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Notice the pattern. In most cases, a psychopathic person can manipulate an empathetic person who wants to avoid hurting anyone. In other words, a person with no conscious can use another person's conscious to manipulate and get them to do things against their own interest. Most of us do have empathy. It's therefore better to just not take a phone call if you don't know who it is.
Like most people, I won't insult someone I'm on the phone with. It goes against most of our natures. However, if I know someone's a scammer, for me all decorum goes out the window. In a case like that, I'm good with any insults being flung at the criminal, and I no longer have any concern for their feelings. The problem is, people don't usually know that it's a scammer. If there are red flags, but you're not sure, it's fine to say something like, "I'm not going to rush to a solution. I'm hanging up now, and I'll call the company at the number I know is right." Any legitimate organization will be fine with this. If there's some kind of real problem, they'll know that the person is calling the company back and will work with them to make things right. It's only a scammer who would have a problem with this. They know if they let you go, they've lost the scam. Therefore, they'll try every manipulative tactic in the book to keep you on the line, or they might attempt to furnish the callback number, which is a scam number. Don't let anyone manipulate you. If someone tries hard to prevent you from disconnecting and calling the number they know is right, they're almost certainly a scammer. Therefore, there's no need to have any concern over their feelings. If some scammer is all bummed out that they lost a scam, that's fine by me. Maybe they should re-evaluate what they're doing.
In short, the best-case scenario is, plan A: Don't take the call.
Second-best scenario is, plan B: If you're already on the call, disconnect and call the company with a number you know is good.
These scumbags are master manipulators. You're under no obligation to be polite with them.

jsb357

Reaction score
Never use any information in an email or text message in an attempt to respond to notification.

This includes links, attachments, phone numbers, toll free numbers, etc.

If they seem to be pressuring you to act fast stop and consider the possibility of a scam.