Falcons Game: Analyze Roy Williams Play-For-Play

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
[youtube]nxTdXYBxlhE[/youtube]
The video above isolates all six passes thrown toward Roy Williams in today's game. Give your impressions of him during each play.

Mine -

#1: On the drag route, Williams found the soft spot of the zone coverage. The route was ran well and the timing was excellent. His hands failed him.

#2: Williams ran a great slant route, got great separation from the defensive back (who was playing off him) and the pass was delivered perfectly.

#3: A good curl route, which he could have ran a bit harder to drive off the defensive back, but he achieved decent separation to make the catch. The pass was very good, but he made a poor attempt to catch the ball.

#4: A much better executed curl route which he ran in close coverage. He used his body well to defend against the defensive back and gave Romo a better target coming back to him deeper. Great catch, but the penalty wiped out the play.

#5: A poorly ran drag route which he would have run harder. Romo's timing was primarily thrown off slightly because of this.

#6: A very good slant route, which he solidly beat the jam at the line of scrimmage. Romo's pass was thrown at his feet.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
It is obvious he is a monster on the slant routes, not sure why they arent running more of those for him. The offensive PI was kind of ticky tack in my opinion. You see WRs get away with a lot more then that all the time.

Tobal

Reaction score
that first pass would have been a great catch. Tony threw it way to hard, maybe he had to because of the window, but that was not an easy catch. You could see Roy surprised by and trying to reach out for the fastball.

The 5th one, how could you see his route from that video? Not sure why you are saying it was a poor route unless you have a different view.

I don't know why they can't get on the same page, Roy either drops it or Tony hits him in the foot. I think they are both pressing and they just have no chemistry.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I think on that 1st one he gator-armed it. Not really a doubt in my mind that he was thinking of the hit from the KC game.

Watching those all back-to-back, it seems pretty obvious that he and Romo just are not in sync. Especially the one where he just kinda hopped early or misread that ball. They are just a bit off, but at this level it makes a huge difference. Given some time I think they can turn it around.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Tobal;3036370 said:
that first pass would have been a great catch. Tony threw it way to hard, maybe he had to because of the window, but that was not an easy catch.

Would of been an easier catch if RW finished his route, he slowed up to avoid contact. Not really what you wanna see from a possession WR.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Roy was open all game. That's in large part because he was getting single coverage without a safety over the top most of the game. I can't count how many times I yelled go to Roy because of the favorable coverage. Romo just wouldn't look his way, which is fine as long as the rest of the offense is clicking.

superonyx

Reaction score
Doomsday;3036381 said:
Would of been an easier catch if RW finished his route, he slowed up to avoid contact. Not really what you wanna see from a possession WR.

Unless the possession WR is nursing bad ribs from being hung out a couple of weeks ago. What you dont want to happen is to have your WR get knocked out for a few more weeks so he can make a 8 yard catch.

But overall i have not been impressed by his hands.

Reaction score
theogt;3036388 said:
Roy was open all game. That's in large part because he was getting single coverage without a safety over the top most of the game. I can't count how many times I yelled go to Roy because of the favorable coverage. Romo just wouldn't look his way, which is fine as long as the rest of the offense is clicking.

Agreed. When the QB is 21 of 29 (or 20 of 24 when not throwing to Roy) and puts up 30 points, obviously he was making the right reads and right decisions.

Tobal

Reaction score
Doomsday;3036381 said:

I don't think he was avoiding contact i think he expected the ball where he was and the ball was thrown so hard it just looked odd, but he made no move to protect himself.

juck

Reaction score
Hes pretty slow.I never got the thrill with him.Although I will say he was much better in Detroit.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
juck;3036446 said:
Hes pretty slow.I never got the thrill with him.Although I will say he was much better in Detroit.
He's actually pretty fast for his size.

craig71

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Reaction score
theogt;3036452 said:

I want to say that he has ran some sub 4.4 40 times.

Craig

speedkilz88

Reaction score
theogt;3036452 said:
I can't understand anyone saying he's slow. Like you said he runs pretty well for his size. Do these same people think Fitzgerald is slow?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
speedkilz88;3036491 said:
I can't understand anyone saying he's slow. Like you said he runs pretty well for his size. Do these same people think Fitzgerald is slow?
Eh...I've been meaning to put that guy on ignore for a while now. Glad he reminded me with that doozy of a comment.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Roy has gotten passed up as this team's top wideout. Plain and simple. I'm almost ready to turn the page on Roy. If he ends up showing up, terrific. It'll be a welcome surprise. Until then, his services are no longer needed as our top wideout.

My hope is that teams start to keen on Austin, Roy will be able to earn Romo's trust and show he can be a good No. 2. We'll see how it all shakes out.

jswalker1981

Fact > Your Opinion
Reaction score
speedkilz88;3036491 said:

Actually, I was just in an argument with a guy at work about Fitzgerald. He said Andre Johnson was better, I wasn't going to argue that, they are really close. But then said that Johnson is a lot faster than Fitz, and that Boldin was better than Fitz. I looked up their 40 times, Johnson ran a 4.43 at the combine, Fitz ran a 4.53. I think it really depends on the routes a player runs. If we ran Roy on some of the routes we ran TO on, he would show everyone how fast he is, but he doesn't run those routes. He runs slants, curls, and outs.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tobal;3036370 said:
that first pass would have been a great catch. Tony threw it way to hard, maybe he had to because of the window, but that was not an easy catch. You could see Roy surprised by and trying to reach out for the fastball.

The 5th one, how could you see his route from that video? Not sure why you are saying it was a poor route unless you have a different view.

I don't know why they can't get on the same page, Roy either drops it or Tony hits him in the foot. I think they are both pressing and they just have no chemistry.
At the snap, you see Williams lined up on the left side and run ten yards straight upfield. The camera loses sight of him for a moment. A moment later, you see him emerge at the mid left side of the screen, running laterally towards the sideline. Drag route.
Future;3036379 said:
I think on that 1st one he gator-armed it. Not really a doubt in my mind that he was thinking of the hit from the KC game.

Watching those all back-to-back, it seems pretty obvious that he and Romo just are not in sync. Especially the one where he just kinda hopped early or misread that ball. They are just a bit off, but at this level it makes a huge difference. Given some time I think they can turn it around.
That's kinda debatable. Even so, the ball was delivered well and he had his hands on the ball. At that point, the reception is totally on the receiver. If he had jerked his hands before the ball arrived, I would totally agree that the incompletion was due to him short-arming the pass.
Doomsday;3036381 said:
Williams slowed up to where he needed to be in the zone coverage. He ran a good route.
juck;3036446 said:
Wouldn't it be easier for you to just keep reciting, "Romo Sucks" ad nauseam? :huh:

baj1dallas

Reaction score
theogt;3036388 said:

I think he short armed the first pass to him and Romo didn't want to give him anything dangerous the rest of the way, which was why he mostly only threw to him on curls and slants. Romo definitely puts more thought into who he's throwing it to than to simply throw it to the most "open" receiver every time, imo.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
DallasEast;3036318 said:
The video above isolates all six passes thrown toward Roy Williams in today's game. Give your impressions of him during each play.

Good work on the video, thanks for your analysis!