Famous Encounters

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
After the Steelers game that the Cowboys played in Pittsburgh during Landry's last season, I walked down under the stadium and waited to see if I could see some Cowboys.

I got to shake hands with a few as they walked from the dressing room to the bus. (RW, TTJ, MI, BB, Ernie Stauntner)

And then here comes Tom Landry, ... I mean here comes TOM LANDRY !!

I was awe-struck !

So as I excitedly walked up to him, the look on my face must have scared him to death, ... he kind of stopped and stepped back as I held out my hand.

He must have been thinking, "what is this looney gonna do?"

Anyway, after he realized I was harmless, he was pleasant, and shook my hand.

I got to shake his hand again after a Fellowship of Christian Athletes banquet in Morgantown, WV ... at West Virginia University.
But I didn't scare him that time.

I also got to shake hands with Roberto Clemenete when I was 15. But that is another story.

royhitshard

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to play golf with Bo Jackson. I was the assistant golf pro and he was in town to put on a baseball/football clinic for kids. What a great down to earth guy. He had no problems signing autographs and taking pictures. I was also lucky enought to hold his shoes and change his softspikes. The man could hit it a long way and really didn't play too bad. I also got to meet the orginal characters of the Dukes of Hazard and go to sit in the General Lee with Bo...would have been better if it was Daisy, but it was still cool!

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
I also got to shake hands with Paul Stanley of KISS, .. without his makeup.

This was in 1975, prior to them taking their makeup off in public.

It was quite a rush for an avid KISS fan in the mid-70's ! :yourock:

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Most of my famous encounters are political in nature... I know Ollie North pretty well, and have hung out at Pat Buchanan's home.

http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v321/Schenk/MeandOllie.jpg
Shooting skeet on Ollie's Farm

I've also met Charlton Heston, Clarence Thomas, Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, G. Gordon Liddy, Bob and Libby Dole, the Quayles, and Steve Forbes.

http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v321/Schenk/MeandDoles.jpg
With the Doles at a fundraiser. Bob was extremely nice!

Semi-politically, I picked up 50's crooner Pat Boone at the airport to take him to an event... he was a pretty nice guy for an old fart. I did fundraising for Steve Largent when he was a Congressman and got to meet him a few times. Growing up in the Northwest, I was always a Largent fan, even though I didn't like the Seahawks, so that was a pretty big honor.

Being here in the DC area, I've met a couple of Commanders at golf tournaments and the like, including Gibbs, Patrick Ramsey, Charles Mann, and even one of the Hogettes.

Last, but certainly not least, I got to meet Troy Aikman back in 1995. My wife graduated from OU that year, and he was in the area doing a fundraiser for the OKC bombing. Anyway, he stopped by the OU graduation ceremony, and I got to shake hands with him and get my picture taken. Without a doubt the best celebrity encounter on my list!

http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v321/Schenk/MeandTroy.jpg
Meeting Troy in 1995!

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Danny White said:
Most of my famous encounters are political in nature... I know Ollie North pretty well, and have hung out at Pat Buchanan's home.

http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v321/Schenk/MeandOllie.jpg
Shooting skeet on Ollie's Farm

I've also met Charlton Heston, Clarence Thomas, Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, G. Gordon Liddy, Bob and Libby Dole, the Quayles, and Steve Forbes.

http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v321/Schenk/MeandDoles.jpg
With the Doles at a fundraiser. Bob was extremely nice!

Semi-politically, I picked up 50's crooner Pat Boone at the airport to take him to an event... he was a pretty nice guy for an old fart. I did fundraising for Steve Largent when he was a Congressman and got to meet him a few times. Growing up in the Northwest, I was always a Largent fan, even though I didn't like the Seahawks, so that was a pretty big honor.

Being here in the DC area, I've met a couple of Commanders at golf tournaments and the like, including Gibbs, Patrick Ramsey, Charles Mann, and even one of the Hogettes.

Last, but certainly not least, I got to meet Troy Aikman back in 1995. My wife graduated from OU that year, and he was in the area doing a fundraiser for the OKC bombing. Anyway, he stopped by the OU graduation ceremony, and I got to shake hands with him and get my picture taken. Without a doubt the best celebrity encounter on my list!

http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v321/Schenk/MeandTroy.jpg
Meeting Troy in 1995!

Well No way I can compete with your political connections however we do have something in common...I got to meet dan quayle when he was VP.

Other then Quayle I have only met State Politicians such as multiple Governors (Arch Moore (crook lol), "Jay" Rockeller, Cecil Underwood, Bob Wise and Current Governor Joe Manchin), Senators & Reps (Former Gov Rockefeller, Moore-Capito (daughter of form Governor Moore and also must have a good friendship with George Bush as he is always coming to WV with her) and to a degree Byrd , State Treasurer AJ Manchin (father of current Gov Jay Manchin and a really funny guy) and so on.

Stood just a few feet from Byrd one time and heard him tell one of his companions (not sure who he was with but was a male not a female) some racist remarks concerning some people across the street.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Stood just a few feet from Byrd one time and heard him tell one of his companions (not sure who he was with but was a male not a female) some racist remarks concerning some people across the street.
Now there's a surprise ! ;)

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I've known Dana Carvey for about 20 years. He's good friends with my brother in law. His sister Lori married a buddy of mine in town here and his brother Scott married a HS GF of mine 3 house's down from here. I dogged Dana and his brother Scott here at my house once when they came over with 49'ers jackets on. They knew how big of Cowboys I am, thats why they wore them.

Used to see him on the old SNL shows in NY. Got invited to an after show party at the Hard Rock (Dan Akroid was there, met him). I hit on Justine Bateman at the party, no luck, but I tried. She did give me a peck on the cheek :)

I used to be a school bus driver working my way through college, used to drive Robert Vaughns kids (Man from Uncle), he was a really nice guy. Almost ran over (with the bus) David Letterman in New Cannan, CT once, he was crossing the street without looking...Goombah..

In Mexico city Don King bought me a beer on my birthday, colleges of mine from Cleveland knew him.

Flew 1st class to West Palm one time and sat next to Rick Flair, not a huge guy and we laughed about him wrestling the Hulkster, whom I also met. My ex-wifes shrink lived next door to the Hulkster in Stanford, CT. He was giving her his couch, I went to pick it up...at the wrong house, the Hulkster opened the door himself and pointed my to his neighbors house. My friends freaked out when they saw me at the door and he answered.

A buddy of mine went to Princeton with Brooke Shields, met her at a few parties there. Saw her at the top floor bar of the Marriot in Philly with Andre a few years back. Told my buddies from work I knew her, they laughed at me. I went over to say hi and she said "Hi Jarvman", and introduced me to Andre. Only there about 10 seconds, but it was funny to see the look on my co-workers faces.

Someday I plan on meeting MW and get a signed copy of his book. Think I'll wait for snow mobiling season to do that tho.

dallasblue05

Reaction score
A couple years ago, I was sitting on about the 10 yard line prolly 15 rows up at the Thanksgiving game agains Miami. I was sitting right behind (and a little over) from two ladies wearing jersies. One was wearing a RoWil jersey and the other was wearing a TerNew jersey. I politley made a joke about buying their jerseies from them half off, and they told me they could if they wanted because they were the respective players parents!!!!! NO WAY.......well, we had conversation before the game and were cordial throughout the game, and at the end of the game, in a somber mood, I asked if they could tell their sons "great game" for me. Well, Roy's mom asked if I wanted to meet him. Of course as soon as she said that I almost had to jump up and down. So we waited for a while after the game where she normally waits for him, and then after waiting for a while, he came up to meet her and she introduced us!! I got his autograph on a foam finger I got from the game, lol, its all i had. One of the best days of my life!!!