News: Farrar: How Dak Prescott and the Cowboys built the NFL's best passing game

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, what’s changed for America’s Team in the last few weeks? Why have the Cowboys gone from a 4-2 team led by their defense before the bye, and 100% Dak since?

Head coach Mike McCarthy talked about why it’s working so well on that side of the ball.

“We’re rolling through our menus. We’re not a ‘create the wheel’ system approach. I don’t believe in that. I mean, we don’t chase new ideas and concepts. If there’s a wrinkle that we feel helps us, it’s a variation of what we’ve already done. We have so many invested reps in the spring and training camp and that’s the foundation of who we are. Because it takes time to get the timing and efficiency where you want it each and every year and the fact of the matter is you have less time together. That’s why I give all these NFL players in today’s game an incredible amount of respect for what they do away from the building and that five weeks off a summer. That’s a critical time now in development of an offensive passing game. Which you were able to get that done in the past in the spring and training camp.

“There’s a lot that goes on and I just think that those types of adjustments and I think we looked like a first year offense a little bit the first four weeks. But we played the way we needed to play to win and won some games decisively too. We played to our defense, and it served us well. We want to complement each other. When they give us an opportunity, we need to go put it in the endzone. We need to get out in front, when we’re out in front our pass rush is lethal.”

Read the rest for tape analysis: https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/dak-prescott-mike-mccarthy-ceedee-lamb-dallas-cowboys/

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I agree with him that we looked like a first-year offense, but that should have been expected with what McCarthy was trying to do. We essentially shifted to another blocking scheme and from a primarily timing-based offense to a primarily West Coast offense. Like he said, it isn't like the concepts are new, but the approach is and everyone has to adjust to the new approach.

I think the fact that Dak knows where the receivers are going to be is helping tremendously. There's no more if the DB does this, then the WR does that. It's simply, here's what you run and if we see presnap that the DB is going to take that away then we'll change what you run at that point. We too often had receivers reading one thing and Dak reading another, which resulted in mistakes.

wssaustin

Reaction score
Win out the tough stretch of the schedule then all of these would be more convincing.

visionary

Reaction score
Just like there was too much negativity early, there is too much positivity now

Seahawks, Eagles, Bills, Dolphins

We will know who we are very soon

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The Cowboys seem to have improved by learning from their mistakes. I attribute this to having the right players and coaching. Now they seem to be putting all the pieces together to meet their potential. The trend tells me they will get even better and who knows what's still in McCarthy's bag of tricks as a playcaller. We are getting to the part of the season I love the most. Go Cowboys! :flagwave: