Fasano could be the key

Drlabon

Reaction score
One player who I think is overlooked in the Jaguar/Cowboys list of matchups is Anthony Fasano. While the Jags will gameplan for Terrell Owens, Jason Witten, Terry Glenn, Julius Jones, and Marion Barber; Anthony Fasano vs. Daryl Smith could be the one matchup that will give the Jags the Most headache. Fasano plays the 2nd tight end, his ability to catch the ball was not showcased in the preseason but is not questioned from what observers at training camp have seen. I believe Parcells delibertely tried to hide his role in the offense until week 1 and instead made Fasano focus on his blocking in the Preseason. So why do I think he is the key?
Quite simply, if he has success catching the ball the Jaguars have no real recourse. Darly Smith 6-2, 244lbs is a 3rd year linebacker who excels at stopping the run and rushing the passer but he only has 1 Pass deflection and 2 Interceptions in his short 2 year career. If Darly Smith is forced into coverage against the bigger Fasano (6-4, 260lbs) and gives up a few key first downs early in the contest, the Jaguars will not be able to provide help. Why? The Jags cannot afford to place a DB on Fasano as he would destroy the DB in the running game not to mention the loss of Pass Rush that the Jags would lose without Smith on the Field. The Jags cannot afford double teams on Fasano with Owens lining up on the field outside of Fasano and with one marquee tight end (witten) already being accounted for. If Fasano wins his matchup versus Daryl Smith it could set off a few chain reactions against the Jag defense and may force the Jags into a zone defense that will open up the running game. So don't be suprised if Fasano is a key part of the early gameplan for Dallas and look for the boys to have a good day if Fasano manages to win his matchup, afterall its why the Cowboys drafted him and went to the 2-tight end offense right??

Your thoughts??
:starspin

neosapien23

Reaction score
Good assessment. I hope your right, because the running game has looked horrible.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
You're getting me excited.

Hopefully you're right. Start the season off on a good note.

tunahelper

Reaction score
I think his blocking is more important tomorrow.
He may add a few catches, just to keep em honest.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Thats the definition of the 2TE set.
Alot of people can use the term loosely, in saying that other teams like NE use it, so its nothing new. And they are right in the fact that it is nothing new, solely owned by BP.
But what seperates a team from the pack in using this formation is having the "right" personel. Two TE's that can both block and catch "effectively"
is what opens up everything else. We will see if Fasano is the final component,, lets hope he is.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
...that an emerging third wide receiver such as Crayton would make the offence more effective.

Jags are not as strong on the line when lined up in the nickel package. We may be able to control the clock more from this alignment by running with a bit more success. Crayton needs to make a few catches to upset the Jags rhythm.

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
You just pumped me up lol.... I hope Fasano can contribute nicely to this offense...That would make this offense very very Good week in and week out.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
We need to go to the TEs early and often. And you are on to something with Fasano. We need Fasano to sneak in a couple of 1st downs. If this happens, then this takes away the middle blitz, meaning we can now relax and have time to throw the ball.

The outside blitzes are easier to pick up, if your QB goes thru his progressions at the LOS to figure out where the blitz is coming, and wait until the last second before snapping the ball.

I'm so tired of this wait, I'm just ready to get it on......

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
I think the way your drew it up is the reason we drafted him. I would have like to seen him catch more passes in the pre-season to give us the comfort that he can do so in a real game. Tomorrow is the day that we see if he is ready to contribute this year or if he is a year away from adding this dimension for us.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Very insightful, but I think "match-up" problems really aren't discovered until halftime at least.

Playcalling in general is more important IMO. When an offense has alot of weapons like we have, it's important to find the rhythm that consistently keeps the D guessing. It's far more important to remind and establish to the Jags there are alot of ways the Cowboys can move the ball, vs finding ** vs DS.

Worrying about Fasano vs Smith will just drive you crazy. Your overall assessment to why Fasano was drafted and why the move toward more of the 2TE set is sound... but more in a "big picture way", not so much game to game.

TO and TG and JW should be able to consistently beat anyone in front of them, regardless of who's covering **.