Fasano > Polite

BlueStar II

Reaction score
I thought that is why we picked up the TE who had been with Seattle as far as the 2 TE sets though.?.?.?.?.???? Well, we should be set at TE for a while now, eh.

TheHustler

Reaction score
BlueStar II said:
I thought that is why we picked up the TE who had been with Seattle as far as the 2 TE sets though.?.?.?.?.???? Well, we should be set at TE for a while now, eh.

He's a backup.

Fasano is a decent blocker and a legit threat in the passing game.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
BlueStar II said:

yea thats exactly what i thought. i am very confused by this pick to be honest. unless they plan on not having witten in the game at all on some running downs, either hannem/fasano will be useless IMO

id like to say that we will see a lot of fasano at H-Back, kind of like chris cooley, but i dont think he has the speed. this pick is really discouraging:bang2:

Hiero

Reaction score
BlueStar II said:
he is a backup or situational player at best.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Future 585 said:
i am very confused by this pick to be honest. unless they plan on not having witten in the game at all on some running downs, either hannem/fasano will be useless IMO

The plan is to have Witten AND Fasano on the field in our base offense -- five linemen, Bledsoe and Jones in the backfield, Witten and Glenn on one side, Fasano and Owens on the other.

If we run, we have a full complement of blockers. And if we pass, we have a far more dangerous receiver in Fasano than a fullback would be.

Smith22

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
The plan is to have Witten AND Fasano on the field in our base offense -- five linemen, Bledsoe and Jones in the backfield, Witten and Glenn on one side, Fasano and Owens on the other.

If we run, we have a full complement of blockers. And if we pass, we have a far more dangerous receiver in Fasano than a fullback would be.

Exactly why the pick is growing on me.

rkstevens

Reaction score
TheHustler said:
Which is who he will be replacing. 2 TE sets here we come.

Yep, that also explains why we didn't make an effort to sign Jerald Sowell.

BigWillie

Reaction score
Seems Jaws absolutely loves the pick as he rated it his best pick of the day. Was interesting to say the least.

But it seems one fellow Cowboys fan thought it was the end of the world. If you are wondering what I mean, go to the 'other' Cowboys message board and look at the thread labeled "Jaws picks Fasano". The second post down will have you laughing your butt off.

If you want a quote from the poster ...

rocketfan21
Pro Bowler
(4/30/06 1:45:12 am)
Re: Jaws picks Fasano Wonderful to hear that. I'm going now to @#%$ kill this @#%$ that tried to ruin my best friend since 1st grades life!! Bye.

:lmao2:

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:

I'm begining to warm up to this idea :cool:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
TheHustler said:
Which is who he will be replacing. 2 TE sets here we come.

And Polite is better than Ryan or Pierce so I am still wondering what you are trying to get at.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FuzzyLumpkins said:
And Polite is better than Ryan or Pierce so I am still wondering what you are trying to get at.

Excellent point..........:laugh2:

Dallas22

Reaction score
Well, if the Cowboys are going to try to run out of a single-back formation most of the game, this would be a great pick. You all have to remember that last season, Witten would sometimes spilt out as the 3rd WR from his TE formation on passing downs... he has also come off the TE spot and line up as a fullback (like Cooley in Washington).

Strange thing though is that Witten is not that great of a blocker and supposedly neither is Fassano. They are both more of the pass-catching TEs. I still like this pick, although we still need a SAFETY on the other side of Roy Williams!!!

On 1st and 2nd downs, the Cowboys will probably be using a single-back 2 TE formation (probably even on 3rd downs and 5 or less). The Cowboys offense can do a lot with this formation: Run Julius Jones (or Barber, Thompson when they are in) with 7 up-front blockers; Go with a pass play or run Play Action... either way Bledsoe will have 5 fantastic targets (TO, Glenn, Witten, Fassano & JJ). To mix it up, the Cowboys can also split out Witten OR Fassano as a 3rd WR... OR move one of them to the "FB" position... of course, on a 3rd and 6 or more, bring in the passing formations - shotgun Bledsoe and/or bringing in our 3rd WR Patrick Crayton and sitting Fassano... also probably bringing in Barber as our 3rd down HB for JJ (at times).

I think our offense is looking GREAT, but of course, our O-Line MUST stay healthy and improve at depth... the loss of Larry Allen hurts. Our O-Line MUST hold-up or we will have major problems this season.

Finally, I sure hope that the Cowboys can CONTINUE to improve on Defense, especially at SAFTEY... we are very weak alongside Roy Williams. We also need to make sure that ALL of our D-Line and ESPCIALLY our LB's (as a group) can handle the 3-4 Defense properly... still A LOT of young guys in those defensive spots that need to continue to improve and learn, along with some new guys.

GO COWBOYS!!!

Dallas22

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
Many of the scouting reports I read said that Fasano was an outstanding blocker.

notherbob

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:

Sounds like a pretty good plan for a balanced attack.

We'll know a lot more about this draft in a few months. In the meantime , I'll continue to quietly sip the koolaid and presume BP and company know what they're doing. If this draft is half as good as last years draft, it'll be pretty good.