fast growing trees

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
i live in southeast texas, can anyone tell me some fast growing trees that would be successful in this region, it gets so freakin hot around here you know.

live oaks are the prettiest but i'm 37, not 2
sycamore and ash grows good, just wondering if any of you have had success with any others.
let me know, later, lane

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
I live in the desert Southwest, so the climate is different here.

The fast-growing trees here are pecan and cottonwood.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
lanecity1975 said:
i live in southeast texas, can anyone tell me some fast growing trees that would be successful in this region, it gets so freakin hot around here you know.

live oaks are the prettiest but i'm 37, not 2
sycamore and ash grows good, just wondering if any of you have had success with any others.
let me know, later, lane

I live in Northeast Texas... Bradford Pears grow big... REAL fast... and are very hardy all along East Texas...

They are a non-fruit bearing tree... white blossoms in the spring...green throught the summer... red in the fall... leafless in the winter...

You could expect a 6 footer to grow to 20-35 feet in about 4-5 years... with about a 25-30 foot spread...

Many use them to line their long-winding driveways...

PearBradford.jpg

hvdepot20021120.jpg

40.jpg

Duane

Reaction score
I checked this place:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/txgard/

The posters there suggest:
Lacebark Elm, Purple Robe Locust, Bauhinia (Orchid tree), Crepe Myrtle, Yaupon hollies and River birches are supposed to grow well in the Houston area. Check with the local garden center and they'll be happy to help you chose.