Fat Boys

morasp

Reaction score
With an emphasis on stopping the run and a new defensive coordinator there's a strong possibility we may take one or two in this years draft. Here is a quick survey of five possible candidates. No stats because none of these guys are going to show up as much in that column.

T'Vondre Sweat Texas 6'4" 314# 35 1/2" arm 10 1/8" hand
Sweat is a massive space-eater whose size and skill set will have him plugged into a role as a run-plugger for odd- or even-front defenses. He’s not quick off the snap or explosive into first contact, but it takes a village to try to uproot him and move him out of the way. The attention he will require from blocking schemes should help unlock the playmaking potential of speedy inside linebackers who won’t have to contend with as much traffic climbing into the second level.
  • Tall, wide and extremely powerful.
  • Devours blocks, allowing linebackers to operate in space.
  • Grows deep roots and is hard to push out of the gap.

Fabien Lovett Sr. Florida State 6'4 1/2" 366# 33 1/4" arm 10 3/8" hand
Lovett is a wide-bodied, two-gapping impediment to running attacks looking to impose their will between the tackles. He blends long arms, big hands and a powerful lower half to withstand double-teams and leverage his gap with consistency.
  • Has the talent and technique to split double-teams and leverage his gap.
  • Carries a tree stump for a base, forcing blockers to slide off their sustain.
  • High football character with desire to help his team.

Tyler Davis Clemson 6'2" 301# 31 3/8" arm 9 1/4" hand
  • Proportional strength for impressive double-team battles.
  • Leg drive creates relentless pressure on blockers.
Justin Rogers Auburn 6'2 1/2" 330# 33" arm 10 1/8" hand
Rogers is a drain-clogging nose capable of muddying the A-gaps for teams looking for depth and help slowing the run.
  • Girthy lower body with technique to plant a deep anchor.
  • Stands his ground and comes out on the other side against double-teams.
  • Upper-body power fuels his block destruction against single blocks.
  • More than held his own in an early season battle against Georgia.
  • Violent hitter when running backs tread into his gaps.

Jaden Crumedy Mississippi State 6'4" 301# 33" arm 10 1/2" hand
He's slightly below-average as a pass rusher but above-average as a run defender and should continue to improve with better technique.
  • Four-year starter with plus power at the point.
  • Maintains proper pad level and features jolting knock-back power.
  • Good transition from anchor to quick disengagement to tackle ball-carriers.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
hqdefault.jpg

morasp

Reaction score
Typo, the Weights on Lovett and Sweat are reversed.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Get Sweat and solve the stupid problem in the middle of that Defensive line once and for all. How many years do we want this dumb running up the gut problem year after year?

visionary

Reaction score
Ill take Lovett with “high football character” over the “party animal” from Texas

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I think the only 2 gap NT in this class with any game is Sweat. If you want a 1 gap 1T, then I like Kris Jenkins and I'm really starting to like Ruke out of Clemson.

Ruke is pretty raw and he plays at 300 lbs, so a lot of draft sites label him as this gap-shooting project player. But I'd say he's actually a stronger run defender at this point. That run defense could give him a good floor, and get him on the field while his pass rushing develops.

I'd be fine with him in the 2nd. He's got the body type to either play 3T or 1T with another 10 lbs of weight.

Last edited:

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Ill take Lovett with “high football character” over the “party animal” from Texas
I see your Lovett pick and raise you a coupling w/ Jaden Crumedy - they could get both these guys with their 5th & 6th Rounders.

morasp

Reaction score
I see your Lovett pick and raise you a coupling w/ Jaden Crumedy - they could get both these guys with their 5th & 6th Rounders.
I wouldn't mind taking two. We've done it in the past and even though Ridgeway didn't stick he played in 17 games for the Commanders last season.